Notices

Possible Cancer for an Old Alcoholic

Old 05-16-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

soory to hear about the diagnosis, but very glad yer in recovery and gointhough it.
i was diagnosed stage 3 melanoma 13 months into recovery. i was very fortunate to be in recovery, but what i needed was the same thing that helps many alcoholics;others going through it. i found quite a few people in recovery that had been through caner treatment, but the best support i got was a forum specifically for melanoma fighters. i am sure oyu can find a prostrate cancer forum online with poeple that have been through it or are going through it and it will help you tremendously.
dont be afraid to drop me a PM at any time either.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shoreladylu View Post
Have you checked with the local hospital? Mine offers lots of different support groups. Good luck. You're in my prayers.
Good idea! Will certainly do so.Thanks.

W.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
Can't help much with the medical end but of course you will rely on the docs for that. I do know that while cancer is scary, prostate cancer is typically slow growing and isn't likely to affect you much for a long time if it ever does.

Of course, the addictive voice will use any excuse to make you "grab life by the throat" and "enjoy life"...which of course is shorthand for "start drinking again." By now you know better.

Please keep us informed and know you're in our thoughts.
Oh Yes. The addictive voice is an old enemy of mine! You can be sure I've got my ear to the ground in that department! As it happens, I take so many blood pressure pills for my heart situation that if I had a single drink I might well keel over. I haven't the slightest urge to do that. What I've got is anxiety with the usual cancer fears. Determined to look at all the options and not be stampeded into treatments which result in big bucks for M.D.'s and possible risks and aftereffects for patients.

W.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Just wish the best for you!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Will keep u in my prayers and hope u have a happy outcome x
Old 05-16-2013, 10:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer and had half of a lung removed. The cancer never came back, but he often told me that every time he had a pain or weird feeling anywhere he was worried that "the Big C" had come back. I can understand your anxiety- cancer is scary. Mom just had surgery for colon cancer and although it appears to be all gone it's an experience that leaves you rattled.

My birthday is next week, the big 4-4. I'm at that age where I need to start thinking about my health and being more proactive. I've been lucky to have been really healthy all my life, and the last time I was in the hospital was when I was 4 years old (ate a bottle of aspirin back in the day when they made them flavored like candy). Again, lucky but a mixed bag; my luck has made me neglect the routine stuff.

I wish you well, wpainterw! I hope it's nothing, and barring that I hope they get you fixed up. Life sober is too good to cut short!
Old 05-17-2013, 12:28 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi wpainterw, even though I've been here a short while compared with you, I've noticed your name because I work in the art business. I wish you all the best and hope you will let us know how you are getting on. I hope you are getting some painting done.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:11 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Whatever is going on good luck , maybe best to wait till you get a better grip on what's going on as I should imagine going to the right support group is vital. From experience I know what living with an undiagnosed condition that is worrying you the anxiety from being in a form of limbo can be devastating.
All the best.
John.