Notices

Checking in from far away !!

Old 05-13-2013, 01:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in from far away !!

Dear all,
just checking in quickly from a one horse town with internet connection near where i have been working in rural Africa. All is well .. I am on day 9 now (more than i have ever done since last August when I did 17 days - again this was while I was away fr my work but then I relapsed when i got home).

But right now i am feeling good and confident I can continue tho' my strategy has been to shut myself in my hotel room after work with films and tea.. that can't go on for ever as a) i am a very sociable person and don't like isolating myself and b) i will be going home in a week to 'real life' and my 13 year old boy. I have got to have PERMANENT practical plan in place to stop myself drinking at home .. not sure what the plan is yet but 9 days sober way from home is a good start surely ??
Anyway, a lot of my (limited/early) success is due to you guys .. even if i am in remote areas without an internet connection i think positive SR thoughts and of the fantastic advice i have been given.. THANK YOU!

However my fear is that i will have seen this time away as a 'test ' that i have 'passed' and that I will revert back to my old habits.. I even had fantasies of ordering a small bottle of white wine (or 3) on the plane out of here next week as a 'reward '' so i am by no means out of the woods ..
Proud as to what I have achieved so far though...
xx
PS I am British so have another genetic/cultural 'addiction' to tea ... bizarrely i find my alcohol cravings are generally satisfied with a good cuppa :-) - i find that weird but good. Anyone else had this ? How long is it until the cravings go all together or at least cease to dominate my every waking hour ?
Old 05-13-2013, 01:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Drink plenty of water and try to exercise. Exercise will make you feel much better about yourself. I find it helps. Try to keep yourself occupied in your spare time. Take up a new hobby or rekindle a love for an old one you've neglected.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Originally Posted by Icandothis2013 View Post
Dear all,
I even had fantasies of ordering a small bottle of white wine (or 3) on the plane out of here next week as a 'reward ''
I hear you - used to like have these small bottles of wine enjoying both flight and my drink of choice)

One day at a time. Old habits die hard but they Do die after all.

Keep posting, best luck to you)
Old 05-13-2013, 02:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi
I am Australian, similar cultural heritage and I agree about tea being a brilliant substitute. Look at my Avatar! But I'm fussy about the quality of what I drink. At the moment it's a strong single source Ceylon. I can't stand Earl Grey or it's ilk.
Keep up the good work with abstinence and make yourself a plan for the plane trip home.