Notices

At my decision point

Old 03-30-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Keep trying - no one here will judge or give up on you especially if you are really trying and I think you have the best intentions. Now WORK at it!
Old 03-30-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
So maybe what you are doing isn't working. Are you willing to take suggestions from people who are staying sober and have found happy useful lives? The solution is available to you. Do you want to know what it is?
This is how I am doing it. I did over 90 AA meetings in 90 days .After about 80 days of being miserable doing that , I started to take suggestions.

Suggestions and the reason they are so repetitive is because they work!

Get a sponsor- someone to guide you through the steps. Call them daily.

Read some literature from AA or NA etc a few times a week.

Get a homegroup- A particular weekly meeting you attend every week.

Get to the meetings early and stay a little late.

Volunteer to be coffee maker for a month. This gives you a reason to stay sober till the next week. It's a commitment.

Offer to help set up meeting and push in chairs after.

Get numbers and build a support group. Women with women and men with men.

Ask your higher power what ever that may be to help you stay sober for that day and thank him, her, it, at night.

When I began to take those suggestions, I became a part of something special and it help build my self esteem. I began caring enough about myself.

I just kept putting off that drink another hour.

Call before you pick up, come into SR before you pick up and ask for help.

Post an Emergency thread- "I need help I think I am gonna drink!"

I still do every single one of those things. I have a full time job and it can be done. I have cut down to 3-4 meetings a week. It's what keeps me sane and very happy. Best Wishes!! God Bless!

P.S. if you don't want to go the AA route I'm sure others can give you their own suggestions.

But just do something. Take action, Get unstuck.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I find it a small triumph that you posted after you drank...and were honest abut losing the struggle. You are on the brink of success - if you didn't want to be sober you would have disappeared and drank in peace and quiet.

Good for you - face that demon head on and keep fighting. Eventually, your resolve will win but it takes vigilance and a good network (SR!)

I wish you the best...tomorrow is another day. Make it a sober one. Just one. Worry about day two when it actually arrives
Old 03-30-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Kys

THANK YOU everyone, I didn't expect to wake up to all of these responses, I am so unbelievable gratful.

I've read each and everyone of your posts a few times over, will do so again throughout tonight as I continue to frequent the forum well in to the evening.

Your responses make me feel like I'm note alone, and I can't express enough the positive effect it has had on me.

I'm prepared to make today a sober one.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Kys

Originally Posted by least View Post
A very wise woman here used to say "you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink" and she was right. I didn't get sober until it was the thing I wanted most in the world.

How badly do you want to quit drinking?
So simple yet so unbelievably true.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Kys

Sorry for all my spelling errors! Fast typing from a phone but the reason I mention it is to share that I've got SR with me wherever I go!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Kys -

I spent a lot of time reading here before I got up the nerve to quit drinking. It's like a leap of faith and I was finally able to take it because of the hope I found here. It's tough, I know, but it's worth it. You're worth it!
Old 03-31-2013, 02:46 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Kys

Hi guys.

I'm seeing my psychologist tomorrow to talk on all things steering me in this direction. I'm sorry, I didn't make it tonight.

But to my promise I will come here every night and continue to increase my means to achieve sobriety - I am very much aware that this may end up me having to put my life on hold to stay at a detox facility, and I am ready for that should it be required, even if right now I'm firmly believing it won't.

I still have plenty of fight in me.

But right now I hope you can continue to bare with me while I continue to take it a day at a time, and tomorrow is another day with heightened means to tackle this beast. For what it's worth I didn't drink as much as what I normally would, everyone here was on my mind. I've just gone to bed in a disappointed and frustrated state of mind, but at least I've gone to bed.

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Kys

Why can't I stop.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Kys View Post
Why can't I stop.
I dismiss your premise. You can stop. You just haven't, yet.

It's really hard when you're addicted to alcohol because there are parts of your own brain working against you. It gets to be a real challenge to figure out who the 'real you' is in there.

Some typical signs of the real you include:
Understands that alcohol use is uncontrollable.
Wants to stop.
Seeks help to stop.

Some typical signs of the ignorant, alcohol-craving beast you're sharing your head with:

Is sure that one more time can't hurt.
Believes something awful might happen if you don't drink.
Gets anxious when you tell it you're not going to drink.

When you don't know why you feel like drinking again even though you really want to quit, that ignorant, alcohol-craving beast can be quite frightening. But once you realize what it is, you also realize it is absolutely no match for you.

You can do this.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:15 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Kys

Thank you Nonsensical. There's nothing but truth to your words.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:45 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Kys

I am SOBER!!!

I intentionally left all cards and cash at work, I can't access them tonight and so I can't purchase alcohol. I stood there for a while debating what to do, but I chose to leave all means to access funds.

I feel a little lost. I went three days not drinking a few months ago but this time feels a little different. Not exactly sure why, maybe because those three days even seem so long ago. Maybe because even a few months on I know how much more attached I've become to alcohol.

I know I have to face the weekend, and I if I had cash now I can't be certain what I'd do, but I do no that tonight I will definitely be sober. Perhaps a small step forward.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:27 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Kys

Feels so strange to be sober. Does this pass?
Old 04-04-2013, 02:30 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it can be a little weird for a while, for sure - but it passes Kys. You'll be ok

D
Old 04-04-2013, 03:18 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Kys

Just feels like time is going so slow. Or like I've got so much time on my hands.

I know I'll wake up tomorrow happier though
Old 04-04-2013, 03:45 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Kys View Post
... like I've got so much time on my hands.
Essentially you do.

All that time I used to spend acquiring booze, hiding booze, hiding empties, and -of course - drinking it and sleeping it off...all that time has to be filled with something else now. Surely there are things you've wanted to do...movies to see...books to read...hobbies to start.

The world is your oyster today. Shuck it!
Old 04-04-2013, 04:00 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Kys

Thanks Nonsensical! Agree, I think it's just so overwhelming right now!

I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who was written here, I know I started this thread almost a week ago with intention to start my sober journey.

I've checked in here so often and all your messages have had such a big impact to my success.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:01 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Kys,
Have you done the Crash Course on the AVRT website?
You are at THE fork in the road that says: Do The Crash Course!

Just click the link:
Rational Recovery | The Crash Course On AVRT
Old 04-04-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

thank you for posting...appreciate it

Simply alcoholics drink because they have a chronic illness...the illness can cause depression and sets up the cycle to drink because of that too.

my decisions to move on from romantic relationships were either through a conscious decision or conscious indecision...the first I took responsibility the other I blamed someone
Old 04-04-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Kys

Now to tackle day 2!