Notices

I've bought alcohol :(

Old 03-29-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've bought alcohol :(

I bought alcohol when I went shopping earlier.. I'm 8/9 months sober ...

I know it sounds stupid but lately I've been dealing with some stress and I've been really craving a drink again... so when I went to the shop earlier I bought a couple of low alcohol lagers.. but there's still alcohol in them and I don't want to start down a slippery slope...

I know I should just throw it away.. but I can't.. I keep convincing myself it will be fine.. but really I know it won't .. hence why I'm posting on here..
Old 03-29-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How about returning it back to the shop? Think about the moment that bottle will be empty and you will face all that nightmare again.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't think you really want to drink or you wouldn'#t have posted on here. You also know 2 won't be enough-low alcohol just won't kick it,you'll want the real thing. it will be a slippery slope down and down and down. Please don't throw away your 9 months.throw the beers away instead and look to do something more for your recovery.can you go to a meeting,hang around SR,read RR,whatever works for you.Think it through,think how you will feel in the morning,full of shame,regret, guilt not to mention feeling physically horrendous and starting back at day 1. 2 beers really isn't worth it,
Old 03-29-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA member

Please throw it away bluegem.

Your head is lying to you,it wont be alright.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
All is Change

Trow it away. That's just plain silly. I've been silly like that and I can tell you it is silly. Throw it away.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

You don't want to go back to day 1. Throw it out or see if the store will take it back.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
All is Change

Pour it down the toilet. It'll end up there anyway. Throw the empties away.
Be Happy
Old 03-29-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

The cravings grow when you let your AV know that there is a possibility it will be fed. Get rid of the booze and tell your AV that drinking isn't a possibility. Get to a meeting if you are an AA person. You do not want to go down this road again. Tomorrow will be a huge day of regret if you do.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I did the exact same thing at 14 months sober bluegem. That bender lasted 6 months and a not so delightful hospital stay in the psych ward.

It's not a slippery slope. It's a ticket back to the insanity.

Please reconsider. It's just not worth it.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

A couple is just what you need to be headed back to the store and getting a handle of vodka. Toss 'em. Laugh while your AV screams and whines.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
LDT

What Heath said, bluegem. Please throw it out. Nothing good can possibly come from it. It would be my personal ticket to the dark side , and Im never making that trip again.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluegem View Post
I bought alcohol when I went shopping earlier.. I'm 8/9 months sober ...

I know it sounds stupid but lately I've been dealing with some stress and I've been really craving a drink again... so when I went to the shop earlier I bought a couple of low alcohol lagers.. but there's still alcohol in them and I don't want to start down a slippery slope...

I know I should just throw it away.. but I can't.. I keep convincing myself it will be fine.. but really I know it won't .. hence why I'm posting on here..

I find I am able to give my liquor away easier than dumping it out. Give it to a neighbor or a friend.

Don't blow it! I'm rooting for you! The craving will pass on its own and you won't have to give up your sobriety!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

and if you drink them, and then don't go to the store to get more, then here's the story: see, all fine! yay! i did it, no sweat. i can do the normal drinking thing yay!!"

and then the thoughts keep going, about the next time, how long to wait, how much to have, totally obscuring the fact that a "normal drinker" wouldn't be having any such thoughts. he'd be done with those two beer. you wouldn't.

here's the insanity of the condition right there:

I know I should just throw it away.. but I can't.. I keep convincing myself it will be fine.. but really I know it won't ..
Old 03-29-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ya, those two beers are just gonna open a 'can of worms' and have you running back to the shop for more. Best not to tempt fate....
Old 03-29-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Two will NOT be enough. Especially if you are looking for that dead head space alcohol provides to block out stress.

It isn't worth it for 2. You will drink them and be disappointed your head is not quiet - and off to the store you will go. Trust me. Been there. Done that. Story ALWAYS ends the same. ALWAYS.

Give it away - and you won't regret it.

Last edited by IWillWin; 03-29-2013 at 08:38 AM. Reason: iPhone autocorrect!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluegem View Post
I know I should just throw it away.. but I can't
Yes, you can throw them away. Tell yourself "I can". As the old Nike ad said, "Just Do It". You know you will immediately feel much better after you dump them down the drain.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Heres how it would play out for me.

I'd drink those two, then have a normal evening. Wake up tomorrow thinking, ok, I'm fine as long as just don't get any hard liquor or only get a few beers. I'll buy a few beers, maybe a shot. Drink them... not feel satisfied go to bed. Next morning think to myself "Hey I drank them, and wanted more, but didn't go to the store... i've got this kicked." Something will happen that day to trigger my AV, I'll pick up a couple more shots and a few more beers, drink those... not feel satisfied, return to the store, by a bottle, drink it... next morning, shaking, feeling anxiety, depression, shame... need to drink to take care of that, just for a day then I'll return to sobriety, that cycle happens for a few days, to a few weeks, to a few months....

Doesn't seem worth those two beers.... give them to someone, and don't leave this website until your craving is subsided.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Like everyone else says, throw them out. Don't risk your sobriety. You'll feel good in the morning if you pour them out.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Toss it!! Don't ruin 8 months!! The drink will just make things worst!!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I ruined nearly a month this past week. A month I have dreamed of obtaining for nearly a year. I would give anything ANYTHING to have your 8 or 9 months and all the positive experiences you've had... Folks' like you are an example to me...

I've proven time and time again there is just something about 2 that won't cut it. And it's becoming harder and harder to quit...

Toss it. Then, repost about tossing it so I can have that motivation that it can be done....