Notices

I've bought alcohol :(

Old 03-29-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you for all your responses... I'm overwhelmed by the support.. and everything everyone has said has helped and made alot of sense... I knew it was a bad idea .. that's why I stood in the alcohol aisle for about half an hour just staring ... I should have walked away then..

I'm going to throw it away.. I can't give them to friends/neighbours because they all know I'm trying to stay sober and I fear they would be disappointed I'd got to the point I was buying it again..

I might see if one of my friends who don't drink want to do something tonight instead to keep me occupied..
Old 03-29-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Good for you Bluegem! That is a good decision, be proud of yourself!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Great choice Paddler. You won't regret the decision tomorrow. What I have noticed about relapses is that it only takes 1 moment or one thought that starts the old AV back up again. As soon as you have that thought creep in, you need to get it out of your head or do anything/everything to get that thought out of your head. Let us know when the booze is gone.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Throw that bag of trash where second thoughts can't find it! Way to go!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

great stuff
Old 03-29-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dib42 View Post
Doesn't seem worth those two beers.... give them to someone, and don't leave this website until your craving is subsided.
When I was having a moment of weakness, that is exactly what I did and by coming here help prevent me from having another miserable night and a remorseful morning. I think this is great advice.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newhope01 View Post
When I was having a moment of weakness, that is exactly what I did and by coming here help prevent me from having another miserable night and a remorseful morning. I think this is great advice.
I had a day like that a few days ago. I'm pretty sure if it wasn't for the support on this site, I would have caved.

I was actually suprised how quickly the craving subsided when discussing it and getting support from all of you on this forum. It's definately a tool to keep handy at all times.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluegem View Post
I'm going to throw it away.. I can't give them to friends/neighbours because they all know I'm trying to stay sober and I fear they would be disappointed I'd got to the point I was buying it again....
I understand that feeling, I hid my attempts at recovery from my friends and my wife for a long time. My wife would occasionally notice I wasn't drinking as much. Mostly out of fear of failure and having to face those people when/if I didn't succeed. After awhile I embraced it, and now if I give them a 12pack with only 8 left in it, they're supportive, and remind me of my goals. This only works for not judgemental friends though... actually, i don't think I have any judgemental friends anymore... weird

Either way you need to get rid of it, and in such a way that you can't get back to it. I don't like dumping it out because of the feeling of wasting it, and the temptation to drink a bit of it after I open it... I don't like throwing it away because I can retrieve it.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It might sound stupid, but it's not. Whether you have 2 days, 2 months, 2 years or 2 decades under your belt, the cravings can come back.

You know exactly what will happen if you drink again. The fact that it's low alcohol beer is irrelevant too, and you know that too. And the fact that you are here tell me you know the right thing to do. So do the right thing, you've been doing it for months now and know exactly how.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

BlueGem,
There is a religious ritual that would have great significance here. It is called a Drink Offering. Pour it out as a Drink Offering.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I did it..! I've thrown them away... I started pouring them down the sink but the smell was making me want one so in the end I just threw them all in the bin and then took the bin outside to the big bin.. there's no way I would retrieve it from there.. it stinks!

I feel much more in control now... there's just too many reasons why I gave up drink in the first place to throw it all away now.. x
Old 03-29-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Good job bluegem!
Old 03-29-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

You have to do what you have to do but I decided to have a few NA beers when I was sober originally. It just led back to me falling off after long periods. I was cheating myself and I knew it.

Having said that good luck with all that.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Awesome Bluegem.

Now make sure you do something nice for yourself as a reward and like someone mentioned, if you are in AA call someone or hit a meeting and if you do AVRT, re read your big plan.
AV:
Bluegem:
Old 03-29-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Heathen

That is a huge success. Well done.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Way to go Paddler, I was really pulling for you this afternoon.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dib42 View Post
I had a day like that a few days ago. I'm pretty sure if it wasn't for the support on this site, I would have caved.

I was actually suprised how quickly the craving subsided when discussing it and getting support from all of you on this forum. It's definately a tool to keep handy at all times.
I agree!! I kinda equate quitting drinking to quitting smoking. Once the "detox" is done, most of the cravings, urges etc are really just that little pesky alcoholic voice whining for a drink. But s/he's pretty powerless. Can't make us walk, can't make us buy booze, can't make us drink it, only can suggest it. So use SR as a nice jumbo sized fly swatter and squish that AV outta your head!
Old 03-29-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you did that bluegem
Drinkings no solution for stress anyway - the stress always comes back.

I dunno whats going on but I know there's better ways to deal with whatever is causing you hassles

D