Notices

Im giving up

Old 03-22-2013, 10:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Jm593,

Im 4 weeks and a day sober. I feel like Crap this evening. Hate to hear you do to. I am looking forward to something you mentioned. Being trustworthy mostly in the sense of being predictable for my family. I think they deserve me to be that for them. Thanks for sharing your pain and I wish you freedom from your anxieties.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by MemphisBlues View Post
I'll let you in on a little secret not many in recovery will share: Sobriety sucks. Those first few weeks or months or, in my case, more than a year are incredibly, powerfully, incalculably hard.

I wouldn't wish them on anyone.

But the truth, the hard truth, is that recovery takes time. A month of not drinking or using isn't going to cut it. I never had what some call the "pink cloud," that feeling that life is wonderful sober, that getting clean was a piece of cake, that everything was ice cream, rainbows and orgasms.

At six months sober, I would just pray to have one day, or even just an hour out of a day, where I felt relatively content. It never came.

It took me about a year. And 2 1/2 years sober I can still have days that are just crushing. I'm not talking about craving for a drink or a drug, but just slammed-to-the-floor.

But I don't drink. I don't take a drug. And I am happy to have paid that price, those days and weeks and months of misery, to get to where I am today: Clean from the obsession that a drink or a d rug will somehow fix whatever feelings I am going through.

It doesn't work.
Thank you! I have been repeatedly surprised by just how hard it is. It is a struggle. I'm four months into my recovery and realizing it will be at least a year before I feel better. Maybe more. But somehow, some way, I keep trying every day. And I come here to be reminded, repeatedly, just why I am on this slow, painful journey of recovery.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I didnt do too good yesterday. Beat myself up but in the end I did have some left to toss out, and I did it. Would have been better coming here and taking you up on the cyber bender. I have been thinking about a couple things that were said to me yesterday. The answers are not back there, nothing worth having comes easy. I have been reading here some today. I know it is supposed to be encouraging to hear it gets better. but hearing it will take four months, six months, a year. I cant even relate to those lengths of time right now. I dont know how you do it. Im back among the living dead today.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Listen JM...you have been chemically flooding your brain. As a result of these huge unnatural surges, your brain has adapted by producing less of its own dopamine. It also messes with the receptors. When you quit, it only makes sense that things seem flat and dull. But it does not last. Give your brain time to return to it's normal functioning. There are natural ways to stimulate dopamine. Find out ones that you like and do them. The brain is amazing, but geez, give it some time. You've beat it up pretty good.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I know thats true. I sound like a whiner to those of you who made it past this point. I dont think I should have told myself to give it a month. It wasnt long enough but I had my mind on a month and I would feel better. My girlfriend wants me to go to a doctor, see if I can get something to help me. How do I tell the doctor Im all F'd up because Ive been doing illegal drugs for a couple of years. And now I dont feel good cause I stopped. I sound like a fool, but it does make me laugh a little at my own stupidity. Im clean today and Im not counting days anymore, not setting any time limits. My goal is to feel better and be better as long as it takes.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by JM593 View Post
I know thats true. I sound like a whiner to those of you who made it past this point. I dont think I should have told myself to give it a month. It wasnt long enough but I had my mind on a month and I would feel better. My girlfriend wants me to go to a doctor, see if I can get something to help me. How do I tell the doctor Im all F'd up because Ive been doing illegal drugs for a couple of years. And now I dont feel good cause I stopped. I sound like a fool, but it does make me laugh a little at my own stupidity. Im clean today and Im not counting days anymore, not setting any time limits. My goal is to feel better and be better as long as it takes.
Seeing a doctor isn't a bad idea, and as far as how you tell them, you just do it. There is nothing you can say they haven't heard before. It's confidential and might just help. Brutal honesty is your best approach.

I'm almost 3 months in and still feel like crap somedays too, but even on those days it's nowhere near as bad as those hung over, dry heave, can't eat anything because of gut rot, splitting headache,get nothing done all day days.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi JM593 -

Glad to have you back - A relapse can lead to break through learning. Knowing that your dopamine and serotonine levels are going to be affected for a while, what's your plan to manage that?

I didn't interpret your post as whining - but rather someone who is trying really hard to get sober and struggling, just as we all do. If you feel the need to 'whine' tho, SR is a great place to come - as fellow alcoholics we can empathize and share insights. Bottling it up gives the alcoholic voice fuel.

I'm unclear from your post - do you want to go to the Dr and struggling on how to broach the topic, or is this something that your doing to appease your girlfriend? You will have much greater success in sobriety if the steps you take to heal are for you.

Welcome! Please keep posting
Old 03-23-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
instant

Giving it whatever time, a week, a month, 3 months, is putting conditions on your sobriety. My attempts at sobriety in he past were conditional on feelings and external events. I would stay sober until stressed, or my emotions overwhelmed me.

Rebuilding my life and at the same time as having to deal with my emotions and normal stress of life without an 'escape valve' does not come naturally- it can be done- it takes longer than a month- it takes what it takes, in it's own time.

There is a lot to be said for acceptance and going with the flow
Old 03-23-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by JM593
I know thats true. I sound like a whiner to those of you who made it past this point.
You don't sound like a whiner to me, you sound like you are expecting alot very quickly in terms of mood and feelings evening out.

Im clean today and Im not counting days anymore, not setting any time limits. My goal is to feel better and be better as long as it takes.
I think that is a great approach. I will happen, JM, even if it doesn't seem like it right now.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:56 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Jm,
Remember I told you I felt like Crap yesterday? Well I feel unusually great today. Didn't do anything special to warrant it. My brain must be trying to poke out from behind the clouds. Let the storm blow over...
Old 03-23-2013, 11:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Saying I'll wait a month and see how I feel is absolutely no way to beat an addiction. Alcohol addiction is way too powerful to just kick to the side like that. You are guaranteeing that you revisit an argument that your alcoholic voice will win 9 times out of ten. It'll be back in another month to claim the one remaining.
I have a sneaking suspicion of why you don't feel better now than a month ago. It is because you never really gave your addiction up. When you get real with your addiction and tell it that you are done forever. When you tell alcohol that it will never touch your lips again. That is when you will feel better. That is when the dark cloud will begin to lift. That is when you will enjoy a new sober path in your life that leaves your old life behind. Instead, your old life is being brought along with a leash.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:06 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Agreed, how terrible would you feel tomorrow? I doubt you'd even have fun. You have done great with 30 days, really awesome!!! You're tough!!
Old 03-24-2013, 12:24 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

JM, I full agree with Dee and Anna. Giving ourselves a time limit to feel better is no solution. In fact , it works other way around and can become a trigger for relapse. From our experience, just being sober is not good enough. Feeling better is really subjective . We must fill the void with some re-recreational activities and we must be patient. It took me umpteen numbers of replapses to realize this.. Now, I have learned to feel better with so many lovely activities like adventure sports, performing art and improving my skills. Alcohol does not cross my mind for days.. Keep at it.. Do not fall into trap of going for short cuts to feel better.. Those short cuts are not good and the good feelings, produced by those short cuts ,are nothing but illusion. You need some more time to really feel, the better feeling produced by NOT DRINKING AND USING .All the best.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am still clean. Not feeling much better physically, but I have stopped jabbing sharp objects into my psyche punishing myself for what happened last week. It has made me feel weaker. Made me want to use more. That is out of control thinking and I know it.

I like what you said about in these 30 days have I decided for sure Im done. maybe I hadnt. Maybe I was testing myself, and I had the willpower to get to the 30 days and then expected a transformation or I could say see no difference Im going back. Im going to think about this.

Had some trouble with my girlfriend too. She knew. Just looked at me. Couldn't hide it because she has seen it before. Asked me what happened and what I wa going to do. She asked me directly if I was going back to it. It the same question that I realize now I have to answer deep inside. Am I ? Am I leaving a little space open for the possibility? Its sucks to give that little space up.

She still wants me to go to the doctor. It is probably a good idea because I think I may have abnormal depression here or something. I feel like a trunk plowed me flat every day. Its not a way to live. Im not in that place to make that call yet. But Im clean.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Giving up?

The easiest part is quitting. Not getting booze, not drinking it. It's the easy part.

You have to do things to get drunk. All the way down to actually drinking the stuff.

You could do nothing instead. And if you feel bad you can do something fun that is harmless. It only takes a little while to get through the worst part anyway.

Only put things into your body that are good for you.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Im still clean. I feel like I made progress because I came back from what happened. I also have some hope because I did make an appointment with my doctor, and I will be talking to him about my feeling so low. Its going to be hard to admit whats been going on, but I know I need to do it, need a good check up. Wanted you all to know Im hanging in, not giving up today.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Way to go JM593! It is a long slow journey to recovery, but each and every day puts us one step closer! Hang in there, it will get better!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by JM593 View Post
Im still clean. I feel like I made progress because I came back from what happened. I also have some hope because I did make an appointment with my doctor, and I will be talking to him about my feeling so low. Its going to be hard to admit whats been going on, but I know I need to do it, need a good check up. Wanted you all to know Im hanging in, not giving up today.
That is great news JM. Glad to hear you are seeing the doc too. I hate going as much as anyone so I hear you there, but they can help. Don't hold back, there is nothing you can say that will surprise them. I found it somewhat therapeutic just spilling my guts to my doc. I was expecting a lecture about the perils of drinking and such, but instead my doc replied that she was proud of me for making the decision to quit.

All these things you are doing are outstanding and you should be applauded for it...nice job!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Good for you JM, keep at it.