Notices

Try to stay sober this weekend with us 22/23/24th

Old 03-22-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Panache View Post
Milestone for me guys and all down to this site:

Managed to walk past the shop and not buy alcohol...the victory being even sweeter as it's a Friday.

Barricaded myself in my house armed with horlicks and pizza, let's do this.

Congrats Panache! Such an accomplishment!!
I feel inspired myself to make sure I do the same this evening!
Enjoy your za!
Old 03-22-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Sober Date: March 10, 2013

Hi, I'm new, I like this thread.

This weekend with be my first SECOND weekend Alcohol Free.

I'm hitting the mile stones

While I have plans most of the weekend to keep me busy, it's still a difficult time not to think about drinking wine and to stay focused. Before quitting 13 days ago, I was at the stage in my drinking where I had been trying to moderate to just the weekends so that is what my friends and family know. I am now just starting to turn down invitations to drink or answering questions about not having a drink, and finding myself in that awkward place of not knowing what to say...

I don't know if I can go out to a social situation yet (a bar to listen to music, etc) altho I tell myself I can order a pelligrino and be fine. And maybe I will, but I don't think I'm ready to try.

So instead, as I sit home done from the day, I think I'll come here.

I like you guys. *ring ring*
Old 03-22-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Ready for a sober weekend; this one should be easier because I have no big plans. Just healthy eating and exercise on the agenda. Well, I may take my son to the circus, but that will hardly be a risky outing.

I don't mean to offend all you bacon people, but I've found it a lot easier to keep the cravings at bay this week by focusing more on healthy eating and healthy living generally than with simply not drinking. I've been planning out each day with a focus on being good to my body generally. And of course, alcohol plays no role in healthy eating.

In the past, I let myself eat anything I wanted to so long as I wasn't drinking. But now, I have vegetables on the mind as opposed to alcohol, and AV has been a bit quieter.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by phebe View Post
Hi, I'm new, I like this thread.

This weekend with be my first SECOND weekend Alcohol Free.

I'm hitting the mile stones

While I have plans most of the weekend to keep me busy, it's still a difficult time not to think about drinking wine and to stay focused. Before quitting 13 days ago, I was at the stage in my drinking where I had been trying to moderate to just the weekends so that is what my friends and family know. I am now just starting to turn down invitations to drink or answering questions about not having a drink, and finding myself in that awkward place of not knowing what to say...

I don't know if I can go out to a social situation yet (a bar to listen to music, etc) altho I tell myself I can order a pelligrino and be fine. And maybe I will, but I don't think I'm ready to try.

So instead, as I sit home done from the day, I think I'll come here.

I like you guys. *ring ring*
Welcome Phebe!

*ring ring* glad you could join us for a weekend of sobriety
Old 03-22-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thanks Panache!
Old 03-22-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hi all, well so far I have not given in and bought wine from the shop on the way home. The kids will be going to their dads tonight for the weekend and although I'm busy from tomorrow onwards tonight is the night I shall probably sit here and read and read and read!

Once I go to bed day 12 will be over and I shall feel proud of myself. Let's all tick another day off and give ourselves a big pat on the back tomorrow
Old 03-22-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Really great and excited group this weekend!

I love that we have our own weekend motto that I can repeat in my head when AV wants me to drink.... *Ring Ring*
Old 03-22-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Really great and excited group this weekend!

I love that we have our own weekend motto that I can repeat in my head when AV wants me to drink.... *Ring Ring*
I'm so excited about this too, every time AV chimes in I just think of me turning to 'him' and saying "*RING RING* pal *RING RING*" and then I ride off elated.

It's getting me through is all I can say! :p
Old 03-22-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soopy99 View Post
Ready for a sober weekend; this one should be easier because I have no big plans. Just healthy eating and exercise on the agenda. Well, I may take my son to the circus, but that will hardly be a risky outing.

I don't mean to offend all you bacon people, but I've found it a lot easier to keep the cravings at bay this week by focusing more on healthy eating and healthy living generally than with simply not drinking. I've been planning out each day with a focus on being good to my body generally. And of course, alcohol plays no role in healthy eating.

In the past, I let myself eat anything I wanted to so long as I wasn't drinking. But now, I have vegetables on the mind as opposed to alcohol, and AV has been a bit quieter.
Hi Soopy

This is how I've been doing it too... I had always been a very healthy person in the past, so I am treating my disease with this mindset.

I developed a habit of going to the gym every day after work at 5pm. It helped to kill the AV that wanted the wine at quitting time. I get home at 7 now (closer to bed time not wine time) and feel motivated to top off the gym with a healthy meal (usually grilled or baked protein and vegetables) and a wind down with tea and honey. Done day

What I also found important was to remove the wine paraphernalia off the counter and replace it with organic herbs, garlic bulbs, sea salts...

Cooking and healthy living is saving my Life.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'm so excited about this too, every time AV chimes in I just think of me turning to 'him' and saying "*RING RING* pal *RING RING*" and then I ride off elated.

It's getting me through is all I can say! :p

I love this too!!! *ring ring* pal.... lol
Old 03-22-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Focusing on healthy eating and living helps me too. I'm starting to expand my herbal tea collection, and trying to go for a run whenever I feel crappy. Of course the other day I looked through my cookbooks and noticed so many recipes with whine wine sauce/sherry/etc. I thought about ripping those pages out lol. I love cooking but the very nice italian guy who taught me most of it was also an alcoholic and now I associate so much food I used to love with wine.

Phebe, I like your avatar.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

This is really OT but just a small little comforting thing about the board...
Normally I would sit and refresh Facebook reading the endless posts about going out drinking etc on a Friday night. After joining this forum I have hardly been near Facebook, all I want to do is refresh the forum's pages and see what you wonderful people are up to/going through. I love that it's something productive.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I'm the same Panache mainly been on here instead of fb hubby has wine but I have made my decision for me he has his own to make I'm planning elderflower presse a bit later and some jelly beans
Old 03-22-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Juneprottey View Post
I'm the same Panache mainly been on here instead of fb hubby has wine but I have made my decision for me he has his own to make I'm planning elderflower presse a bit later and some jelly beans
Sounds divine June! I've got a toffee yoghurt with my name on it for later.

Just think how well you're going to feel tomorrow, I can't wait

*RING RING*
Old 03-22-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pearls View Post
Focusing on healthy eating and living helps me too. I'm starting to expand my herbal tea collection, and trying to go for a run whenever I feel crappy.
Love Tea Collections!

Of course the other day I looked through my cookbooks and noticed so many recipes with whine wine sauce/sherry/etc. I thought about ripping those pages out lol. I love cooking but the very nice italian guy who taught me most of it was also an alcoholic and now I associate so much food I used to love with wine.
I know, it's so hard

Phebe, I like your avatar.
Thanks Pearls I found it in the 'edit profile' section!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

This is really OT but just a small little comforting thing about the board...
Normally I would sit and refresh Facebook reading the endless posts about going out drinking etc on a Friday night. After joining this forum I have hardly been near Facebook, all I want to do is refresh the forum's pages and see what you wonderful people are up to/going through. I love that it's something productive.
Oh my goodness, me too Panache!!! lol
Old 03-22-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I think some people use pomegranate juice as a wine substitute or cranberry , you can also get alcohol free cooking wines that also handily have a long shelf life real wine didn't last long in my kitchen in the bad old days !

*ring ring*

M
Old 03-22-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I cooked with pomegranate juice as a replacement for red wine and I am positive that I had made the very best thing I ever made! I got the tip on here from pamel I believe.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

awesome suggestions! thank you!

*ring ring*!!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

It was pamel ,
i was racking my brain trying to remember who recomended it , thanks Weas

M

oh .. *ring ring*