Notices

Try to stay sober this weekend with us 22/23/24th

Old 03-22-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Today is my day 1 and I am nervous about this weekend but hopeful that I can get through it! I am just going to remind myself of how good it feels to wake up sober and I dont want to waste on more Saturday or Sunday morning feeling like crap. I am going to try and stay really busy. I wish the weather was nicer so I could take my kids outside, go to the park, or on a walk, but I will figure it out! Thanks for the post!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RightLAine View Post
Today is my day 1 and I am nervous about this weekend but hopeful that I can get through it! I am just going to remind myself of how good it feels to wake up sober and I dont want to waste on more Saturday or Sunday morning feeling like crap. I am going to try and stay really busy. I wish the weather was nicer so I could take my kids outside, go to the park, or on a walk, but I will figure it out! Thanks for the post!
Today's my first day too RightLAine and I'm having to break my thought patterns. I'm thinking about going home after working and then buying a bottle of wine - I then literally have to stop thinking and say to myself "NO you don't drink anymore". It's crazy!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Panache View Post
Today's my first day too RightLAine and I'm having to break my thought patterns. I'm thinking about going home after working and then buying a bottle of wine - I then literally have to stop thinking and say to myself "NO you don't drink anymore". It's crazy!
Yay we can do this together!! I'm at work now trying to rationalize drinking...telling myself...well if I just drink beer tonight versus liquor then I probably won't get as drunk and I won't feel as bad.....and then my thoughts trail off and I tell myself NO you are NOT drinking anything anymore!! I'm going to try and put 100% focus into my kids this weekend....probably clean like crazy to keep busy and I hope & pray I make it
Old 03-22-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

After many busy weekends in a row, this is my first weekend with "no plans" in a long time. I wonder if a visit to my AA "congregation" is in order tomorrow? There are like 200 people in this meeting. It's at 10:00am, I can take the bus and get there in 15 minutes....I don't feel tempted or at risk, but the last time I went to AA was two weeks ago and I did feel better after I went. Kinda like going to church as a kid....hated getting ready for it, but once you were let out it was EARNED FREEDOM and it feels so sweet!

Watching lots of college basketball this weekend, NCAA Tournament going full force on the big screen today.

Stay sober all, thanks for the thread Mecanix!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My first weekend too, for a very long time with no hangovers and feelings of disappointment!!! Day two for me planning dog walks although we are getting bad weather and I think I will download myself an e book
Old 03-22-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks for starting the thread mecanix!! Always love me some Sober Weekend Thread.

Welcome to those who are facing their 1st sober weekend. Yes, it'll be difficult but it comes with a lot of reward!

I was an at-home drinker so my first few months of sobriety was extremely difficult. What I did was distract myself - preferably outside of my home. I'd go window shopping, ride my bike, go to meetings, hang out at the library, etc. I did ANYTHING to get me away from where I drank - my own home.

Stick with us this weekend. I can promise you'll learn tips & tricks, laugh A LOT and get hungry with all the cooks on this thread!!

No big great plans this weekend. The highlight of it will most likely be a haircut tomorrow at 2pm. Woot woot.....but it's OK. I somehow find plenty to keep me busy.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Oh god my brother just came over and wanted to have a beer with me. I said no, and he was surprised but cool with it so we just sat down with some coffee.

Of course for a moment I thought, oh it's okay, I can have that one beer, right? But I know I can't.

Proud of myself.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Well done Pearls I went out last night and ordered water for the first time it was strangely liberating !!!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Greetings All! Wow... a lot of folks facing their initial sober weekend on this thread... how awesome!

Like SoberFallon, I too try to keep as busy as possible on the weekends. Although, my nature is to hibernate. So... I try to get out!

This weekend, I have an AA meeting tomorrow afternoon followed by a meeting with a woman I met this week. She was super positive, grateful and stable in her share... and I want to know how she got there! So, I asked for her number and then made the leap to ask her for some of her time. She agreed!

I'll also go to a speaker meeting tomorrow night to collect my 30 day chip... God willing!

Sunday I go to two meetings as well... A Step Study in the morning & an evening discussion meeting.

Even forcing myself to the grocery or on errands has been a way to clear my head & get a bit of interaction with other people.

I'm on a Nurse Jackie kick though... so, tonight, I'll probably be piled in bed with my pup, plowing through Season 2!

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I get so inspired by the first timers! Hell I get inspired by all who choose sanity over speculation. I used to wonder what I did all weekend when Monday rolled around and I could remember very very little.

We will all stay sober! Love it.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Taking a tea break from working on my deck. I don't want to get all worn out too quickly today. I want to pace myself. Just because I'm gonna tell my AV "no"doesn't mean I wanna argue with the sunnuvaboitch all day.

Having a little Chinese Oolong. I believe Mr Mecanix recommended that in a tea thread a few weeks ago. I like it. My 'go to' tea has become the English Breakfast, but I like to get a few varieties in every day.

The weather is fantastic for this work today. No clouds, but not too hot. Git 'r done!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Read some stuff on the AVRT last night and it was really helpful. I, too, am intimidated by this weekend and giving into my own ability to convince myself I can have a beer or two or something similar. Finding strength in posts like these ones! Lets pull together and make it through the weekend guys! We're the only ones standing in our way of it. Best of luck to everyone!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toeachtheirown View Post
Read some stuff on the AVRT last night and it was really helpful. I, too, am intimidated by this weekend and giving into my own ability to convince myself I can have a beer or two or something similar. Finding strength in posts like these ones! Lets pull together and make it through the weekend guys! We're the only ones standing in our way of it. Best of luck to everyone!
Toeachtheirown, could you point me in the right direction for anything on AVRT? I see it being spoke about on the forum and have no idea what it is? :/
Old 03-22-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm nervous about the weekend, but I'll give it a try... *feel anxious just posting that*
Old 03-22-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I dont know too much about it either Panache, just what Ive read on here and a little bit of research I did last night. I read this whole website top to bottom and really identified with the way they approach things: Rational Recovery | The Crash Course On AVRT

I dont know if I can align myself completely with any one way of approaching sobriety, but the way they talk about your addiction's voice really resonated with me. Ive already caught it so many times today trying to convince me that I can have a couple this weekend and it wont be a big deal, or that Im not actually an alcoholic, Im too young, I just like to party and all kinds of nonsense like that. Its so handy to be able to identify that as my addiction trying to convince me to go back to the crutch Ive always relied on. Take a look and tell me what you think!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Im in with my running shoes so I can jog beside you all. I just dusted them off and went on a quick run (literally)..... Im at the Eatery all weekend. No need to feel lousy while working. Ill check in later to see how everyone is doing.
Thank you Mecanix!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I just posted on another thread my anxiety about having to go out of town this weekend. I'm glad know I have a place to come to if I get upset or nervous. Mohave a good weekend. Rock Chalk!
Old 03-22-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Milestone for me guys and all down to this site:

Managed to walk past the shop and not buy alcohol...the victory being even sweeter as it's a Friday.

Barricaded myself in my house armed with horlicks and pizza, let's do this.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I'm sorry guys. I realized that we are riding not jogging into a sober weekend. I'm getting with the program
Old 03-22-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

thats great Panache ! Armed with pizza and horlics the world is our mollusc ..

Great to see the new people trying out *ring ring*

Nice to see Mizzuno running along *ring ring* to the runners .

*ring ring* *ring ring* *ring ring* *ring ring* *ring ring*

he he he he

Bestwishes, M