Notices

Life of a High-Functioning Alcoholic

Old 03-11-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
Truth be told, I have no desire to become completely sober, but I wish I could go back to being the Thursday-Saturday binge drinker I used to be. Anyone have any advice?
The past is over. Bail before the shite gets too deep. And I'm not saying right now, today or next year. You are in the drivers seat. Just keep the knowledge of what these folks are saying in the back of your brain so in 1, 5 or 10 years from now when you are beating yourself up in the morning because you drank way more than you allotted yourself the night before, again, you will know that there is no turning back the clock and all the money, power and intelligence you have will be no match from the destructive onslaught of this progressive disease.

I started at 17 and spent the next 5 years drinking and drugging it up, like needle drugs and bottles of vodka. Then, I stopped, just stopped. But not beer. Spent the next 10 years drinking beer, nothing too crazy but a weekend warrior gig. Then in the last 5 years I started to notice that I wanted and needed more. Then I started to regulate and that wasn't always working. I then took breaks. A few days here and there. A week here and there. Then a month. Then 4 months. All with the hope that I would just slow down. I would try to regulate myself. I tried practically everything so I didn't have to admit that I was an alcoholic. But here I am. No one told me to do it and even if they tried they wouldn't have succeeded. I had to know it.

So I guess if you do have it I hope you pull the plug before you lose all that you have. That's my advice.