Notices

Pregnant, tramadol cold turkey or taper?

Old 03-10-2013, 09:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pregnant, tramadol cold turkey or taper?

I posted last week or so about my desire to stop using tramadol. that I was misusing it, and that I was planning to get pregnant. I also have some health issues (possibly endometriosis, the pain of which goes away during pregnancy, I discovered when I had a pregnancy and miscarriage Dec- Feb), and terrible health anxiety. Yesterday, I found out I am pregnant. And I am now really faced with stopping the tramadol. Last time I was pregnant, I planned to taper off of it slowly, but then I got a virus and got a prescription for 20 Tylenol #3 pills- took them, and then when I stopped, no withdrawals from anything. I don't have any of these now, or any way to get any that I know of.

So last night I had a conversation with my husband about stopping the tramadol, how worried I was, etc., and we ended up in a big argument. Essentially, he says that I should try to listen to my doctors (my general practitioner, OB, and pain management doctor all say that stopping tramadol will not cause withdrawal) and just try stopping, that my fear of withdrawals is overblown, I am obsessing about a tapering schedule, it is all about my anxiety, etc. I got really angry and tearful, and said that fine, after getting through an obligation we had today, I was going to just stop cold turkey. I did not stop though- I took about one less pill than usual. I was taking 8-9 50mg pills per day. I also told him that I was just done talking to him about anything medical, he is not a good support, and I do know he is just sick of my medical issues and health anxiety.

I guess now I am not sure what to do. I wonder if I should get up tomorrow and just stop, definitively. Or if I should get up tomorrow, see if I start to feel withdrawal symptoms, and then take as little as possible? Or if I should create a tapering plan/schedule of some sort and follow that. I am pregnant. Tramadol is not generally recommended during pregnancy, but there are people who take it without issues. I want to stop for reasons including the pregnancy, but also for many other reasons. I don't really want to spend a month tapering or anything, I don't want to even think about it for that long. As pissed off as I am because it feels like my husband is insensitive, I wonder if he is right and I should just stop.

Any ideas or thoughts?
Old 03-10-2013, 09:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Talk to your doctor...tomorrow. Tell them everything about your usage and anxiety, and anything else.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was recently prescribed low dosages of Tramadol for depression, but I am ceretain because of my addictive predisposition I will quit taking them.

Tramadol seems to be making a big emergence on SR for people struggling to get off of them. They don't make me high in any sense, but I'm treatment resistance to most antidepressants after 27 years of chemical treatment.

I just wanted to post and encourage you to get some solid medical advice. I have no clue why any doctor would just say to stop with all of the literature out there about withdrawal problems.

Good luck. congratulations on your pregnancy. Perhaps you could talk to your doctor again about a taper schedule? From what I read online on support forums, those who taper have a much better long-term outcome.

But after a few weeks of use it's posts like yours that have made me decide that even though I have found a medication that actually works for depression, the risks far outweigh the reward. I would rather live with debilitating depression than debilitating addiction after the years of sobriety I have gained.

Peace,
Old 03-10-2013, 09:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Talk to your doctor...tomorrow. Tell them everything about your usage and anxiety, and anything else.
I will be calling my OB tomorrow, and I will ask again about what to do about the tramadol as well as set my prenatal appointments, etc. I feel like I just went through this exact thing with all my doctors a few months ago with the last pregnancy, and they all initially said to just stop the tramadol, then agreed to a very fast taper after I expressed anxiety about just stopping. I am not really worried about my anxiety generally- I stopped my Ativan cold turkey yesterday, I was able to stop it cold turkey last time as well and with both previous pregnancies, I just deal with insomnia as a result of not taking that. I see a therapist twice a week regarding my anxiety and health anxiety. I am not keeping anything about the tramadol from anyone, not any of my doctors, no one. I am just not sure I can stop cold turkey, even though that it what they will say to do.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Let me start by saying congrats on being pregnant.
It truly is a blessing.
I do hope realize how blessed you are.
When I was pregnant for the 1st time I lost one of my twins, I still wonder if it was because I wasn't taking good care of myself, NO I wasn't drinking or anything like that. Just working alot & not eating right.
He would have been 19 next month.

I hope you find the strength listen to the Dr's & keep up with what they tell you.
You no longer are making decisions for you self ...You are making them for someone that is relying SOLELY on what you are doing for them.

Peace~
Old 03-10-2013, 09:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

we can't give medical advice here - I'm glad you're seeing your Dr - Congratulations too

D
Old 03-10-2013, 09:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MemphisBlues View Post
I was recently prescribed low dosages of Tramadol for depression, but I am ceretain because of my addictive predisposition I will quit taking them.

Tramadol seems to be making a big emergence on SR for people struggling to get off of them. They don't make me high in any sense, but I'm treatment resistance to most antidepressants after 27 years of chemical treatment.

I just wanted to post and encourage you to get some solid medical advice. I have no clue why any doctor would just say to stop with all of the literature out there about withdrawal problems.

Good luck. congratulations on your pregnancy. Perhaps you could talk to your doctor again about a taper schedule? From what I read online on support forums, those who taper have a much better long-term outcome.

But after a few weeks of use it's posts like yours that have made me decide that even though I have found a medication that actually works for depression, the risks far outweigh the reward. I would rather live with debilitating depression than debilitating addiction after the years of sobriety I have gained.

Peace,
Yes, there are TONS of posts about people struggling to stop tramadol. And that is what scares me! Despite what all of my doctors say, I have not seen one post anywhere that says, "Oh, tramadol? I just stopped taking it and it was fine. I had no problems". I just hear about people going through horrific withdrawal. When I was prescribed the tylenol #3 last time, it was like an amazing gift- I knew it would totally solve the withdrawal problem. ON the other hand, I guess I have no way of knowing what would have happened if I stopped the tramadol without the tylenol #3. I suppose it could have been fine?

I took tramadol for pain, not depression, and I found that while it helps with pain control a lot during the first few weeks I take it, it then stops working and I have the side effect of not having an appetite. I am not sure what you should do in your situation, but good luck!
Old 03-10-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YouRmySunshine View Post
Let me start by saying congrats on being pregnant.
It truly is a blessing.
I do hope realize how blessed you are.
When I was pregnant for the 1st time I lost one of my twins, I still wonder if it was because I wasn't taking good care of myself, NO I wasn't drinking or anything like that. Just working alot & not eating right.
He would have been 19 next month.

I hope you find the strength listen to the Dr's & keep up with what they tell you.
You no longer are making decisions for you self ...You are making them for someone that is relying SOLELY on what you are doing for them.

Peace~
I do realize I am blessed. I have a three year old and a four year old that I love more than the world.

I am not sure what I will do. And I know it is not great in these situations to not have a plan, a decision, to just kind of see what happens. Ugh.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone who was so kind to respond. I am going to try to sleep, I am going to pray, and I am going to hope that tomorrow brings some clarity.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

@ Memphis Blues
Follow your heart by all means but run it past your Dr first MB - better safe than sorry?

D
Old 03-11-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just wanted to update- I called my OB this morning, and they wanted me to come in for blood work due to the recent miscarriage. I went in, did that, talked to the nurse, and my doctor prescribed Tylenol #3 to stop the withdrawals as that is what worked last time. I again feel like it is a miracle, like I have been granted an undeserved reprieve from having to go through tramadol withdrawals. I know that I need to stay in prayer, and I have to solve this issue beyond this temporary solution. And my blood work did come back good so far pregnancy-wise, and I can still use my tens machine for pain relief. So all good news.