Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Weekend checkin Feb 21-24 - early for our Midwest snowed in friends

Notices

Weekend checkin Feb 21-24 - early for our Midwest snowed in friends

Old 02-23-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
MTN... Here is the short ribs I am making today. Ina is really good.

short ribs to die for
Thanks Ken that does look yummy (although no idea what a dutch oven is lol)

Sorry to hear your wing night has been postponed Fandy.

Not much going on here today, DD was poorly in the night, just moaning and groaning, none too happy... Calpol and back to sleep... up this morning and I have a very spotty little girl. Yup chicken pox has arrived! She's not too bad atm and Mum will have her tomorrow whilst I go out with DS, but I'm not looking forward to the quarantine aspect next week...

Tired today, so it's a thank you for the recipes and tips but I'm erm... about to order a chinese!!

Catch up properly later
Old 02-23-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Sounds like pure AV working on you there , on a number of fronts Non .
Stuff it in a box snuff up the holes and be the best sober host to the friend and Mrs Non you can be .
Have a nice long shower or something like that to try and shift the funk , don't want to spoil the ladies night do ya ?

M
Old 02-23-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
i would be grumpy too, but you have to get used to socializing when others drink.
There was something about the way the whole thing transpired. If she said, "I am going to invite Daisy over for dinner and we'll probably have some wine, too." I might react differently. It was the whole setting it up to be a non-drinking event and then changing course that grated. Why the misdirection?

I suppose I can hope for good timing. Wine in Mrs N opens a window for amorous opportunity. I just need this other woman to leave before the yawning starts.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Well, Non, my reaction to your wife's actions is that when we have guests over I expect them to want a glass of wine or whatever. I have been pretty successful at that and (until my recent relapse, people just assumed I didn't drink, no questions asked.

My husband has his two scotches at night.

But what really irked me (years ago now) is when some well-intended person would turn my wine glass upside-down at a restaurant! I mean that really is my business and my responsibility. And I do take it as a responsibility.

You can too. Let your wife have her wine if she wants it but you can refuse for a very honest reason: you are sticking to the "plan". Then when the guests leave, get rid of it!
Old 02-23-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

MTN, I have got to check Ebay for a dutch over (usually a cast iron stewpot with a glass lid meant for slow cooking without burning the bottom. Crueset makes great enameled ones...
Old 02-23-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Non... This is presenting you with a really great opportunity. You will be flipping out tomorrow morning if you just tell AV tonight to go to hell. You will be on cloud 9.

There is plenty of get togethers to come. Plenty of time to drink if you want. Just take tonight off.

The pay off emotionally is too big to pass up today!

Mrs non will certainly think you are the cats PJ's.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Yes a Dutch oven is a heavy pot. I have my mothers that has cooked endless childhood memories.

I use it on the stove and then it goes right in the oven for hours to braise.

I have blueberry muffins in now... Later 3 lbs of really nice short ribs. Cannot wait!
Old 02-23-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

OH SHEESH!!!! I put the wings into the freezer and now have to take something out for my dinner???? hmmmm what to make, something simple as i am cleaning.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Tacos! Not easy sometimes but I am so in the mood for tacos! I can eat a dozen!
Old 02-23-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Dear food people:

STOP IT. NOW. You're driving me crazy!!! Oh, and hungry!!!! So jealous of all of your culinary skills!

Non, for whatever reason, people drinking around me never bothered me. They don't have the same problem as I do. I just had to focus on that fact and look out solely for myself. I wish you best tonight. Remember that you should remain sober so you can rock Mrs. Non after your guest has left!

My big plan this afternoon is to clean the fridge. It's disgusting in there.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Ohhh I know what you mean now by dutch oven, my mum has one, it's brilliant can do most things with it either on the hob or in the oven. I just call it the heavy pan!

Hope your evening goes well Nonsensical. Try not to be shoving the guest out of the door too deliberately before the yawning starts
Old 02-23-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Pamel.... I am still cooking but when I do tastes... The juice works perfect! This is going to be awesome!
Old 02-23-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Happy Sober Saturday! Psyching myself into giving Schnauz ( the schnauzer) a bath. He sticks his huge fat nose into everything stinky. Sitting next to him is like sitting in the middle of the dump. His dog shampoo smells like bananas. It's just when I give him a bath I get one too. Wet t shirt , wet sweat pants, the smell of wet banana scented dog. I used to have a drink before bath time. Hell, I used to have a drink before everything.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Man, I am wound tight today. I finally got to tiling after lunch. I rented a wet saw from HD to cut tile. I was not enjoying the job at all, but I was almost done. Then the saw started to vibrate and break tiles. I tried tightening the blade, but the bearing was shot. Meaning I can't finish tiling today and can't grout tomorrow - putting me another weekend behind on this project. I launched my hearing protection and a ceramic tile, breaking both. If there had been a bottle of booze in this house I would have upended it into my gaping maw without another thought. I was pure beast at that moment.

I called HD and registered my complaint, and they agreed to let me have another saw tomorrow at no charge. I figure that's the best they could realistically offer, so that helped. Now I am having some green tea and some ginger snaps and starting to become calm again.

Goosfraba....
Old 02-23-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberFallon View Post
Dear food people:

STOP IT. NOW. You're driving me crazy!!! Oh, and hungry!!!! So jealous of all of your culinary skills!

Non, for whatever reason, people drinking around me never bothered me. They don't have the same problem as I do. I just had to focus on that fact and look out solely for myself. I wish you best tonight. Remember that you should remain sober so you can rock Mrs. Non after your guest has left!

My big plan this afternoon is to clean the fridge. It's disgusting in there.
This made me laugh out loud!

Nonsensical, definitely step away from the tiles and the saw. You've done all you can do for today. You've done well. Those tiles are beautiful, but not worth drinking over!
Old 02-23-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Rage and irritabillity were two things i went through Non ,
If you are anything like me it gets better with more sober time, i can't remember exactly when but i think it was over for me after 2, definately 3 months .

M
Old 02-23-2013, 11:57 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Morning morning... running late already... I'm actually getting into a bit of a tizz about this Segway thing. Oversleeping didn't help. Tea, I need tea!
Old 02-24-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Sunday morning and my sober streak continues. Had a great dinner last night. The ladies each drank about 2/3 bottle of wine. My wife likes red and the guest likes white. Mrs N made sure the guest took the white with her when she left. I think the rest of the red went down the sink. The empty is in the bin, and I doubt my wife guzzled it when I went to the bathroom. That was my style, but not hers.

Guest is a perfect southern belle. She brought over an artichoke dip, which she knows is a fave of mine. She also gushed about my tiling job. I drank ginger ale before dinner and tea after.

Thanks for being there for me yesterday. It was a tough day.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:28 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I think that you passed the first small social event with flying colors. Even with the wetsaw snafu.
Since i stopped drinking i also saved enough $$$ to gut/remodel my main bath....not me personally, but a good friend is a tile mason. It is a boatload of hard work.
Bacon and 2 alieve for breakfast!
I wound up baking split chicken breast last night, sweet potato and carrots....and a small red velvet cupcake i baked last sunday.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:34 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

So glad for you Non ,
My mum who i'm the full time carer of bought two bottles of red last night, other peoples drinking shouldn't effect our sobriety eh ?

Bestwishes, M