Notices

New to site, New to recovery

Old 02-07-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to site, New to recovery

Hi there... I quit drinking yesterday, was trying to quit smoking as well but its become too intense for me tonight and about to go buy a pack of cigarettes.. I am not going to any AA meetings out of fear but do plan on going to a celebrate recovery meeting next Tuesday... Any tips or advice is greatly welcomed and appreciated. Thank you
Old 02-07-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to our community. Congratulations on your decision to quit drinking. I am glad you are going to seek some face to face support as it really help me get sober over 5 years ago. We all do this one day at a time....I'm pulling for you.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Jamie

I've heard good things about CR - are there any meetings before next Tuesday tho?
why wait?

D
Old 02-07-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! nope nothing sooner.... I know I should probably go to AA but for some reason the thought terrifies me of having to speak out... say Hi I am .... and I am an alcoholic....
Old 02-07-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((Jamie))) - Welcome to SR! Though alcohol wasn't my thing, I did go to AA meetings for months, and I assure you...you don't have to talk. Many people came in there and just said "I'm [whoever]" and that was it.

As a smoker, I got a lot out of the "meetings after the meetings" (or before) when the other smokers hung around outside. Took me what seems like foreeeeever to get to a meeting, and when I walked out of the first one, I questioned why I was so darned worried?

As far as the smoking, I couldn't stop the crack and cigarettes at the same time, though I know people who have.

SR has been a huge part of my recovery, so very glad you are here and I think you will find the same

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-07-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome, you're in a great place to learn about recovery!

I'm not an AA guy, but I've been to a hundred or so meetings. I was never expected to share (speak) unless I wanted to. After a few meetings I wanted to. Don't let fear of public speaking keep you out of AA. It's not required. The only thing required is a desire to stop drinking.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yeah, meetings are nothing to be afraid of (even though most people are, before they've been to one and see what they are really like). Here's a link I like to share about What to Expect at Your First AA Meeting. It's a very accurate description, in my estimation.

You absolutely do NOT have to say anything, although as mentioned in the article, it might make it less scary if you at least say your name. Identifying yourself as an alcoholic absolutely is NOT a requirement. I know people who say "I think I drink too much" or "I'm worried about my drinking." Or don't say anything but your first name. Nobody will laugh or disapprove. Every one of us remembers how nervous we were at that first meeting. After going to one or two you will wonder why it seemed like such a big deal.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Jamie! Congratulations on your decision to change your life. We understand like no one else can - we're glad you've joined the family.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

I stopped drinking yesterday, even though my husband thinks I have been sober for almost a week. I didn't think it would be this hard. I haven't smoked a cigarette in almost a year but had one today, instead of trying to sneak a drink. I have tried going to AA meetings I have been to two and didn't really feel like it helped me. I really want a sponsor so in my weak moments they can help me stay on track.
I really need to get this under control, bc I hate having something control me.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Thank you all so much! I've always relied on myself and its gotten me here, so now I am going to try relying on the knowledge of others who know much more about this than I do... Glad to be here!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Forbidden129 View Post
I stopped drinking yesterday, even though my husband thinks I have been sober for almost a week. I didn't think it would be this hard. I haven't smoked a cigarette in almost a year but had one today, instead of trying to sneak a drink. I have tried going to AA meetings I have been to two and didn't really feel like it helped me. I really want a sponsor so in my weak moments they can help me stay on track.
A sponsor is a really great idea. They not only help you stay on track in your weak moments, they can explain the AA program and guide you through the Steps.

At your next meeting, I suggest you raise your hand and share that you are new and are looking for a sponsor to help you get started. My bet is that you won't leave the meeting without one.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Forbidden129 View Post
I have tried going to AA meetings I have been to two and didn't really feel like it helped me....
AA never really clicked with me. There are other schools of thought on how to attain and maintain sobriety. Take some time to look around the forums for alternate recovery programs. You've got to find the one that works for you.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

((Forbidden)) - Welcome to SR! You may want to start a new thread? Meetings don't work for everyone, but there are lots of other avenues to recovery and I think SR covers most of them

Hugs and prayers,

Amy