Notices

Drink in the house?

Old 02-06-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drink in the house?

Has anyone decided to become sober but allows drink in the house? I ask as just noticed a thread where hidden alcohol was immediately dumped.
I have some still, do I keep it to remind me it's my choice not to drink.... or get rid?
Old 02-06-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

My house is dry
Old 02-06-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you'll find two distinct schools of thought Kizzy.

For me, I don't need reminders, or things to test my willpower.

I keep it simple - I'm a non drinker - I can't see I have any business keeping alcohol in my house

D
Old 02-06-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have some alcohol in the house, but it isn't mine. It belongs to my daughter. If you have the least amount of doubt, I'd get rid of it.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no alcohol in the house, nor do we ever serve alcohol in the house. It keeps things simple.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all good advice there, think I will get rid. you're right dee it's almost like I was daring myself to have it around..
So I could say I don't want it, rather than I can't have it. daft really
Old 02-06-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't drink so there is no reason to have alcohol in my house.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

my wife will buy individual servings of wine but other than that we have no alcohol (that includes mouthwash - my wife's so smart).
Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

I had some in the house but it was getting into my head. I dumped it. I would say if you are thinking about it then it has to go.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

There is a section in the AA big book which addresses this issue and relates it to "spiritual fitness" meaning that if you are spiritually fit, it should not bother you.
My first time in recovery, I lived with an active alcoholic while in early sobriety and worked for years at a job where alcohol was around and available and I did not pick up.
But since nowadays I live alone and I work in a sober environment, I chose to keep a dry house and not to tempt fate.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

There is a section in the AA big book which addresses this issue and relates it to "spiritual fitness" meaning that if you are spiritually fit, it should not bother you.
My first time in recovery, I lived with an active alcoholic while in early sobriety and worked for years at a job where alcohol was around and available and I did not pick up.
But since nowadays I live alone and I work in a sober environment, I chose to keep a dry house and not to tempt fate.

If for some reason I was to lose my head, I would have the 10 mn it takes to go to the store to hopefully come back to sanity
Old 02-06-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It doesn't bother me now, and we have some for guests that come over....

Mind you, this was a BIG NO NO when I first got sober.... Someone I always became that "guest"
Old 02-06-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

My wife will have a glass once in a while, so there might be a bottle someone gave her as a gift...but not often. Doesn't bother me if there is a bottle around, anyway. I usually forget it's there, frankly.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

When I stopped drinking, I left 1 beer in the fridge.... just in case I needed a beer. When I began thinking about actually drinking it, down the drain it went.

I allow friends to bring beer over and drink at my house but they know if there is any left, it goes home with them and so do the empty bottles.

I say dump it, why tempt yourself?
Old 02-06-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I aggree with Paul99. The fact of the matter is simple. If You have no control over your drinking it does not matter if it is in the house or not. You can go to a gas station on Sunday and get a 6 pack. Its all about support, fellowship ,and self control. Hang out here and eventually it will be such a small concern.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

If You have no control over your drinking it does not matter if it is in the house or not. You can go to a gas station on Sunday and get a 6 pack.
actually...I think it does matter...

there's a million different points in the journey from house to gas station and back again..a million chances to change your mind.

If it's there in the house? not so much.

D
Old 02-06-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I guess that is your choice, it's your house after all! I am still under a year sober, and live alone, so I don't keep alcohol in my house. But that is just me! I did keep cigarettes in my house after I quit smoking, so I guess I've done it both ways. Staying sober is the important thing, whatever works for you!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

I always figured it didn't matter. I had a whole liquor cabinet stocked in my house when I was trying to stay sober. If Im gonna drink I know where the liquor store is...I thought.

This time around I was finished. I dumped out every bottle and beer. Felt great. My wife is in control of the wine cellar. I never see it and don't think about it.

Go figure some of my friends bought us a liter of Vodka for Christmas. Its unopened in the fridge in the garage. I don't know what to do with it so I don't touch it. I think we will give it away soon, or my wife can drink it over the next 100 yrs
Old 02-06-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee and Fallow. It's very cool to hear some different perspectives on the same
dilema. Love the feedback.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pondlady View Post
I have some alcohol in the house, but it isn't mine. It belongs to my daughter. If you have the least amount of doubt, I'd get rid of it.
Same here. My husband drinks normally so he has alcohol.Luckily I don't like what he drinks. I could not have my drink oc in the house. It would be too tempting.In a moment of weakness if its not there there are a lot of thought processes/actions to go through to get it. If it was there I'd probably just drink it