Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

silly things I did while using so others wouldn't know- or so I thought

Notices

silly things I did while using so others wouldn't know- or so I thought

Old 01-30-2013, 03:41 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Ahhh the horrific memories. I have done everything listed to date. Everything!

I am moving in 2 days. While packing up I have found 7 full unopened bottles of vodka hidden around the house. Hidden so well that I simply had no concept that they were there. The revulsion I felt was palpable every time I found one. I mean what on earth did i think I was doing?!?!
Old 01-30-2013, 04:00 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EnnuiStasis View Post
Please forgive me for asking what may seem like a really stupid question, but what is the motivation for all the secrecy? Is that part of the enjoyment (a little adrenaline rush), or does it stem from shame or embarassment? I ask because I really don't understand it.

On another thread, addiction to alcohol and addiction to nicotine were being discussed. I know some smokers sneak and hide, especially in the current social climate, but drinking is more socially accepted than smoking. I'm every bit as addicted to nicotine as my husband is to alcohol--and I know it's harming my health, and I get nasty withdrawal symptoms if I run out--but I've never felt a desire to lie about smoking, shop at different stores, hide the empty boxes and such. I don't smoke much right close to him because the smoke bothers him since they switched to "safe" paper, but I certainly am not stealthy about it.

On the other hand, I've hardly ever even seen my husband pour a drink... he'll wait till I'm out of the room. Or he drinks after I've gone to sleep. When he was drinking mostly beer I was surprised to go into his workshop and find piles of empty beer cartons stuffed between some empty dog food bags. They were obviously emptied one at a time, so it seemed the normal thing to do would be to put them in the burn box with the other cardboard and paper.

His taking the kitchen trash out when it's mostly empty but has some beer cans or a liquor bottle in it was another clue for me. As well as dumping used coffee grounds and/or emptying ash trays on top of the empties so the empies are covered with yuck. (Like I'm really going to dig in the trash to count beer cans ~ no thanks!)

I'd really like to understand this aspect of alcohol dependence better, in part because it's not so much the drinking, the self harm, the need, or the sometimes stupid behavior that bothers me most, but the dishonesty about it. It's almost like the alcohol is a mistress.
The hiding is predominantly driven by fear....fear that it will be found and taken away. If that happens you are then faced with a serious confrontation with the other person in your life that has found it and taken it. Even worse you are then faced with having no booze and having to leave the house to go out and get more which in turn is going to cause another serious confrontation. Accusations fly, excuses are made, promises destined to be broken are offered often sincerely....and yet all the time your addiction is nagging you to get out and get some more NOW!

Hiding allows you to drink in peace... Or so you think.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I have spiked my NA beer with vodka
Old 01-30-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

under the radar, NOT

Hey Shore: I did (do?) the same. I would buy beer at different stores. Trouble is, there are only 3 places to get beer in the little town closest to me. I wonder if they noticed my beer runs? Anyway, I'm working Day22 here. As with a number of episodes in the past, I feel good now, but I know that old back monkey is laying in wait for. He'll make me feel I deserve a celebration, or he'll try to convince me I am bored and need a few brews to pep up my life. I have little optimism with regard to my plight, but I am here seriously reading SR a number of times every day and I have, for the first time in my life, scoped the addresses and numbers of some AA groups (there are two here, one about 20min away and one 50min away). Any reservations I've had about AA in the past (intellectual or otherwise), or any other recovery method, just do not come into play anymore. I just need to find something that works. As long as it would not harm others, I feel I will do almost anything.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EnnuiStasis View Post

On another thread, addiction to alcohol and addiction to nicotine were being discussed. I know some smokers sneak and hide, especially in the current social climate, but drinking is more socially accepted than smoking. I'm every bit as addicted to nicotine as my husband is to alcohol--and I know it's harming my health, and I get nasty withdrawal symptoms if I run out--but I've never felt a desire to lie about smoking, shop at different stores, hide the empty boxes and such. I don't smoke much right close to him because the smoke bothers him since they switched to "safe" paper, but I certainly am not stealthy about it.
Originally Posted by Midlifecrisis View Post
It is a like a mistress. More than a mistress, a master. The *insert substance here* controls your life and you feel ashamed of that but powerless to stop it. It's also called denial. If other people can't see it you can fool yourself that it's less of a problem. Trying to give the illusion of control or minimizing the problem was what it was about for me.
I agree with Midlifecrises. I also wanted to add that at work the other day, during break a coworker was telling me he quit smoking and he's starting his second week. I really wanted to tell him that I was also quitting drinking and had been sober about the same time. But felt I couldn't because I didn't want anyone to know I am an alcoholic. You can definatly smoke in public, and everyone knows that you smoke. Sure it's a nasty habit, but people see it as that, a nasty (addicting) habit. When you drink, people don't see it as a nasty habit, they judge you.

Anyway, that's how I saw it, and that's why I hid it.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

i got accustomed to drinking warm beer. i used to hide it in the laundry room so i could get in a few more beers before dinner time so my husband wouldn't know. one time i was going upstairs to take a bath and stashed a few in the pockets of my robe and when i bent down to give my husband a kiss, one fell out of my pocket almost right in his lap. i felt like such an idiot, i laugh now thinking about it. a crafty lot we are, yes? now if we can just use these powers for good.... : )
Old 01-30-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bigndfan175 View Post
I have spiked my NA beer with vodka
I've also emptied out the ODouls and replaced it with real beer. what a sneaky ba$tard I was
Old 01-30-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Filled water bottles with Vodka and took these with me EVERYWHERE. Also rotated about 4-5 liquor stores, hid the empty bottles when people came to my house so they wouldn't question how much I was drinking, lied about my odd (drunk) behavior..said I was sick, on medication, tired, etc.

So nice to be able to make plans and leave the house now without worrying about the next drink and taking those "water" bottles with me.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

My collection of eye drops to "get the red out" - might have gotten a little of the red out but probably not the wasted look in my eyes!

Also did the vodka water bottle thing and many others that you've mentioned. Only two places to buy in my town so that was pretty rough.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shoreladylu View Post
Another one- I remember seeing this "funny" comic on Facebook where a wine bottle opener gradually lifted its "arms" as it was twisted. At the end the bottle opener looked like a person with their arms raised in victory.
I have that opener - actually I am on #2 because the first one couldn't lift her arms anymore (should of got a hint)...I always thought it was great, now not so much. Now she sits nicely with her arms down.

:ghug3
Old 01-30-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

......and the 2013 award for "FUNNIEST AA THREAD" goes too -----Long Pause...........
SHORELADYLU :
[COLOR="red"]

OMG!!!! that had to be the funniest thread I have read to date.
What makes it even more crazy is "How long did it take us to realize all these tricks of the trade made us ALCOHOLICs" We actually believed this was normal???

I always wondered why I was so damn tired all the time when I was drinking, is it any wonder -----with all the extra running around like chickens with our heads cut off, passing out drunk was the only way we got any rest.

Gotta hand it to you Nonsensical your 12th grade chemistry class came in handy after all--I am impressed----MOONSHINE--amazing.

Thanks for the laughs,:ghug3 AHHHHH the good ole days!!!!!
TrixMixer
Old 01-30-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

new to the board...this is my first post. too funny! i can't believe how similar all of us are. anyways. nice to know i'm in good company.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome appos

D
Old 01-30-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Wow! Can relate with many of these experiences. My issue was with alcohol the majority of my using career, and I don't know that I ever thought the sneaking or hiding drinks was "normal" as much as I thought there was something wrong with the people I felt compelled to hide my drinking from. Imagine that--I'm drunk but your the one with the problem because you can't accept that I can handle my drink!

I also had issues with prescription pain pills and I went through a phase where I tried to let my wife dispense them. Well, i found where she stashed them and replaced the real ones with similar-looking OTC meds. Needles to say, that attempt at quitting didn't take.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Ha!!! Someone mentioned drinking hot beers... I forgot about how good I was at that... I can probably count on one hand the number of cold beers that I pulled from my own refrigerator over the last several years of my drinking career (wife did not like to see them), but I did pull a ton of HOT ones from my truck, garage, boat, shed, hedge along the fence line, etc.... And I live in south Florida!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Wow - not an alcoholic but reading all these. How exhausting that behavior must have been for all of you! And how heartening to see so many of you that have found a way to shake your head at yourselves and have a laugh about it I raise my mug of hot cocoa to you all and say a most sincere congrats to all of you on the path to sobriety and happier times!!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pataphor View Post
I have that opener - actually I am on #2 because the first one couldn't lift her arms anymore (should of got a hint)...I always thought it was great, now not so much. Now she sits nicely with her arms down.

:ghug3
I used to keep the wine bottle opener in my bedroom. I don't think anyone else in the house even knew we had one. I put it in the kitchen a couple weeks ago- that was sort of symbolic to me lol Just this second I thought to myself maybe I should just throw it away since I don't need it anymore. 28 days
Old 02-03-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I was just emptying the dishwasher, and something came to mind that I wanted to put in this thread.

We have a variety of travel mugs for coffee. The kind that fit nicely into the cup holder in a vehicle. Some of them are better than others for dispensing my formerly favorite drinks. Previously, when unloading the dishwasher I would always put my favorite travel mugs away in the back of the cupboard, so they would be less likely to be used by someone else and available for my personal use.

It'll be nice not to sort coffee mugs anymore.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
CastAwayWolf

I was always paranoid people could smell it on me.

So I was always experimenting with different breath mints, gum, candy etc.

Every time I bought alcohol I'd buy some kind of mints or anything to hide the smell. I don't think anything worked very well. Once I tried chewing a couple of whole cloves...made my mouth sorta numb.

Glad I don't have to do that anymore.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Undoing the box of a box of wine, pouring out of the poly bag (get the ones with no 'cover' over the pour spout) into a 'vessel' spice jar, mason jar shoved way back somewhere. Re-glue the box back with a hot glue gun used for crafts. (only used by me, sneaky).
Hide covered jars of wine in places that others don't go - the dirty laundry basket, sewing box.
My husband and I bought wine all over town, and where we live, booze is sold in grocery stores.