Notices

How do you say no convincingly?

Old 01-23-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I don't mention my recovery for the same reason I don't talk about certain other personal matters. It's nobody else's business.

Most of the time, anyway. Sometimes the seemingly-inappropriately-curious are people worried about their own drinking, or that of a family member or close friend. Sometimes it can be a service to talk about it, with the right person, and for the right reasons.

But going into my alcoholism and recovery in response to a question about having a drink strikes me a little bit like the little kid who gets a whole explanation about the birds and the bees in response to "Where did I come from?" when he really wants to know if he was born in Nebraska like his friend Sam. TMI.
LOL_-I really like that analogy, very cute! I assure you I do not get into the "intricacies" of my recovery, once you tell them your an "alcoholic" that shuts them right up.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Great points, TrixMixer. That is fantastic that your being honest about your journey may have helped others to approach you with their own issues. You have certainly given me some food for thought.

In my case, I have shared with many that I've quit drinking, but I have only shared my reasons for doing so anonymously with the people in SR, and with an AA group. My own journey is something that I don't at this point feel comfortable sharing with others. It's not that I'm ashamed of myself; perhaps I'm just not there yet, nor do I completely understand my situation enough to tell others about it yet.

I also wouldn't want other people to feel that they have to change their outlook on an evening, or on being in my presence, because of my problem. As an analogy, I ate a vegetarian diet for some time, and when I switched back to eating lean meats a friend told me that he had stopped asking me out to lunch because he felt guilty eating meat in my presence. This wasn't because I had a problem with his eating meat - I was perfectly fine with it! Does this make sense?
Old 01-23-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Avra View Post
I take cipralex for my anxiety,and you arent supposed to drink on them (even though i had been fir over a year)

Anyways, i agree that medication is a good reason in situations you dont feel comfortable telling the truth.
Hey fellow Surrey Girl!. I was on Paxil and I still drank. I took these antibiotics along time ago before my drinking was really bad.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Natom, I don't know if that was supposed to be funny but I just pictureda man with a hat and trench coat standing.in a dark foggy alley doing that and it made me crack up.
I had an office Xmas party last week. Co-workers.were all ordering drinks and when it got to m I weed for soda water. Oooh the looks.and pressure I.got was.unreal! I told them.I was.know a diet then I just let them think o was pregnant hahaha. How bout its none of your business!!
I would be the type to lie just to mess with people. I'm missing a kidney, allergic, medication, whatever. I might tell them 8 different things just to mess with them
Old 01-23-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by TrixMixer View Post
...So why do we need excuses if some dimwit wants an answer to a question he really has no right to...
Because it seems simpler to lie and say that we can't drink because we are on antibiotics for a medical condition that may require upcoming surgery and our doctor has forbid us to drink, in addition to being on a health kick, a diet, having an allergy, and having a bet with a friend.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Or you could just say your breastfeeding?!!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I haven't read all of the responses, so I'll probably be repeating what someone else has already said, but I definitely understand how you're feeling. I'm extremely early in my sobriety and am getting a little anxious as to how to communicate to my friends what's going on.
I completely understand people's advice to stay away from alcohol, especially early on. I agree with that, but at the same time, do I need to get rid of all my friends just because they drink? I don't think they will pressure me at all - REAL friends, at least - but it's that awkward, initial phase of telling them you're not drinking. So, for me, I think it's best to use "excuses" like I'm trying to lose weight, drink less, etc, for a while and THEN tell them what's going on.
Of course, people who I'm extremely close with I feel I can tell, but it's those friends whom you really just go out with. I'm single and still fairly new to Columbus, so I've got a lot of those types of friends - more of the ones you just "meet out for drinks" and such.
I'm almost positive, though, there will be a few people who get upset because I was the life of the party (as many/most alcoholics are). Well, I'll either be the life of the party sober and not at all. Too bad for them but I'm not missing out

Good luck!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I just got back from a team dinner at a St. Paul restaurant. I ordered diet coke and right after I ordered one of my peers ordered a diet coke too so we both got a jab from a guy but other than that no one seemed to care.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Received View Post
I had stopped by the local convenience store to pick up some smokes (this is the store I always bought my beer from). The owner said, "no beer?"
I used to frequent a supermarket where I bought only beer, because I was getting food from a food pantry. One day I bought some food items and no beer. When the cashier rung me up, it cost more than I expected and I said, "whoa!"

The cashier said, jokingly, "yeah, it gets kind of pricey when you go back on solid food."

As for giving a reason to people why you aren't drinking, I saw a flyer on the wall at an AA meeting with suggested responses:

I'm on a diet.
Doctor's orders.
I've got high cholesterol.
I'm allergic.
etc.

Someone had scribbled in at the bottom:

"F**k you!"

Really, I think the subject is a perfect opportunity to separate the wheat from the chaf. Someone worth keeping will support you. A drinking buddy won't.

This is one instance where throwing the baby out with the bathwater is the prudent thing to do.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
Or you could just say your breastfeeding?!!
That line has been so overused by guy's I know!!! It becomes a joke!!!!