Notices

prescribing my own cure

Old 01-23-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I like the urge surfing idea for dealing with those thoughts that seem overwhelming. Our fear/pleasure/survival centre, aka the amgydala or lizard brain, tries to hijack our entire mental process concerning our addiction and drug of choice - you can find some great discussion about CBT and Handling that Hijack. These techniques have to do with mindfulness, and it is important to develop your mindfulness practice before the urge strikes and the amygdala tries to hijack your brain.

I found that the urge surfing and mindfulness ideas mesh very well with AVRT and provide a real way to implement that Big Plan of yours to never use again and to never change your mind.

So, sit with those thoughts as they come for a few minutes, and stare at them, and allow them. Understand that they are not you, and that you are stronger than your addiction altered limbic system. You can do this simply by believing in your success. Never let that faith in yourself waver, and you will do this. You have a new life waiting for you, healin, it is yours for the taking.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
I will not call off the search

I'd like to say a big big thank you to you all for your kind words and support. It's comforting to have people around me to help me now. Yesterday I got some crack ( spent £10 but its usually £40+ ) and was a bit annoyed with myself but on the other hand I had gone 4 days without it which up untill 4 days ago was unheard with me. I'am succeeding woohoo and I will be beat this. It's 9:18 in the morning here in England and by now I would usually be on my way to get money and drugs but today I do not want it.

Freshstart57 I too am learning the technique of AVRT and reading the book called 'rational recovery'. I'am applying AVRT right now as as I type this and drink my 'cup of tea' (us brits huh and our tea lol). I have to be honest and say its the best cure I have come across in 12 years. Maybe you can give me some pointers!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:36 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

hi healin,, from a fellow uk member here.
whilst i do not know how it is to have a prob with crack,, i do other class a's and more recently the ole vino de collaspible,, and i just wanna say welcome to this wonderful place, im now coming up to 3 mnths sober,, and feel fab, i read the rr book and it helps me immensley, also chatting here, to real people, who really know how u feel is so supportive,and ,, i know i did it, and u can too hun, just know we are here for you xx
im not very elegant in my writing, nor offer great words of wisdom as some here do,, but my heart is big, and im here everyday, so just wanna say, good luck and keep being here x
lv cleo xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 01-24-2013, 02:08 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I would think it's going to be a bit uncomfortable for you for a few days, healin. If you were thinking about quitting cigs anyway.....why not just bundle up the cravings & do it all at once? I'm know it's WAY easier for me to type than for you to do....

good luck, stay strong!!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone. I feel welcome here and safe. I have always lied to my friends and family and thats why they abandoned me but thats my own fault and stupidity but now I see sense. I have spent the last 3 days on this site and stayed away from my regularly visited sites ( i'm a biker ) and that tells me how important it is to be here. I floated around recovery sites for years not posting a single thing, some reovery sites criticized you for using drugs then verbally punished you, one site I registered with declined my request for registration because I did not give a good enough description about myself. How stupid is that, someone reaching out for help but turned away because of lack of information about themselves!! I never tell ANYBODY about my struggles but here I feel I can and openly.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:12 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm happy that you found something that is working so well for you. Being cured of a 12 year addiction to such a strongly addictive and life destroying drug is something special.

Well done you.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'd love to be 'cured' but right now i'm recovering. It's so nice to sit here and not think or be concerned how to get the next high. It's like when my 6 year old son comes home from school and says "daddy I know how to bake a cake now", thats how I feel having to learn to live again at 31 years of age. I look forward to the day I can have money in my pocket and not spend it on something so evil. That'll be a big big achievement
Old 01-24-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Not sure if this was mentioned already, but the threads on AVRT in the secular section are very good reading. There are 5 threads with about 500 posts per thread. Glad you are reading the RR book. Very happy that you have decided to change your life and be free.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forums Healin,

Just my opinion but i would focus on quitting smoking ciggarettes later. I have quit and it in and of itself is challenging. Better to suceed at this and deal with smoking later than to fail because you took on too much. Thats just me though.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

I would just concentrate on the crack addiction for the time being, we addicts have a tendancy to trie and do too much too soon resulting in everything failing. just concentrate on not using for today and just for today!

i liked your earlier post, i also believe that through trial and error we will find the path that best suits us. Get knocked down 100 times, get up 101 times...
Old 01-24-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by healin View Post
Yesterday I got some crack ( spent £10 but its usually £40+ ) and was a bit annoyed with myself but on the other hand I had gone 4 days without it which up untill 4 days ago was unheard with me.
When we're addicted to alcohol or drugs picking up that drug is re-igniting the addiction all over again. And starting the recovery process all over again. I once heard someone compare it to the pilot light on a stove. If the pilot light is out, the addiction is at bay. Once they take 1 drink or drug, it's like lighting that pilot light again.

You know now that you can go 4 days without it. There's no reason you can't do another, and another, and another. All you ever really have to do is one day, as there really isn't any such thing as yesterday or tomorrow.

I found my healing from alcohol and drugs through AA, but there are lots of other options available. I'd suggest diving into them 150% and taking every suggestion they can possibly offer. The people who stand the best chance at continued sobriety and clean time are those who have been beaten the furthest into the ground, and are therefore the most open minded and willing to take suggestions from others. You're battling an enormous beast, one that wins 99.9% of the time when combated alone. I'd suggest to continue doing what you're doing, count your successes as practice and experience, and grab for all the tools you can possibly throw into your bag. A program with other people you can interract with face to face an incredibly powerful tool. I'd suggest finding one of them, too. Best of luck.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Wow never even thought of it as I only ever do 1 day. Thanks for that input. Tomorrow I have money going into my bank account so it may be challenging but today I've been good
Old 01-24-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Just for today? You have some $$ coming in tomorrow so it will be hard? Hmmmm. Be careful here.

Healin, there is a place you can arrive at where you can see all around you, it has a great view. You can see behind you, into the past, and you can see in front of you, into the future, and this particular spot you are standing on brings everything into sharp clear focus.

It is a scary place to be, it is kinda precarious, and prone to vertigo, but these thoughts are just creations of your imagination, you aren't in any danger of falling at all. Your vantage point lets you see your way forward with perfect clarity. There is no danger, no risk, no doubt, and you can move with 100% certainty.

I'm not comfortable with being straight and sober for today, but I do like the idea of being sober for this present moment, whenever it may be. Anyone can choose to be straight for a moment, I think. So just make it the present moment. 'I will never now use'.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Talking

You should be my mentor and life coach Words of wisdom

I get my money paid to me every friday even though I cannot access it but I have annoyed the hell out of my girlfriend in the past to let me have it. I hate money
Old 01-24-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

AVRT alone or along with other addiction recovery treatments like CBT DBT
SMART Articles and with the support of SR members/mods, I believe you will have a great advantage for living drug free.

I understand that sober living can be very difficult at first. Learning and practicing recovery tools like AVRT or other recovery tools like my personal favorite DBT that blends mindfulness and addiction recovery into one plan for the good life sans alcohol/drugs.

Keep up the good work even if a slip happens and welcome to SR.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Do yourself a favour healin and stop worrying about tomorrow. Think about tomorrow when you have woken up....tomorrow. If you think too far ahead you'll just end up getting anxious.

Natom.