Notices

AAer and ex bulimic struggling with not smoking!!

Old 01-24-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AAer and ex bulimic struggling with not smoking!!

Hi all, I'm new to this Site but I've followed several links about cross addictions. I've been in AA for over 2 years (best thing ever) London UK. I have also had many issues with food over the years especially Bulimia which has died out and then reared its ugly head again from time to time (especially when my serenity levels are low) but haven't been sick since last summer which is great yeah?!! So to celebrate I've now given up the fags (3 weeks and 3 days) but I'm struggling, I am eating more now and putting on weight gradually (I'm not binge eating I'm just eating all the wrong foods like crisps and sweets and processed foods which, I try to avoid normally).

God these addictions are soul-destroying; I wonder if I survive the non smoking (which is looking dubious now) what other addictions I'm capable of forming or relenting too.

Serenity levels are dangerously low too and I'm thinking too much too quickly but I really don't want to drink, smoke or over eat again but I'm miserable!!

HELP xxx
Old 01-24-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome to SR!

I love cigarettes, but never smoked them.

You'll find lots of folks here who share you problems and concerns.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR UKsobrietygirl

Giving up smoking is tough, go easy on yourself. If you put on a little extra weight early on you can always sort it out later. That's what I'm saying to myself anyway . I gave up smoking 11 months ago with drinking and I have been having a lot of smoking dreams recently so I am going to read the Allen Carr book again because that always helps to put a positive spin on it. Sometimes that's what the the majority of the craving is, just thinking we are missing out on something and that we are giving something up. I didn't give up smoking I took up breathing

Glad you found SR, and I'd love to hear any thoughts you have on cross addiction. It feels like a juggling act sometimes! x
Old 01-24-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there,

Well I've battled (and gained victory over) an eating disorder too, over twenty years sobriety now and also three weeks and three days off of cigarettes.

You asked what other addictions you might form. I have found (for me) that any addiction is simply a solution for a problem I have not yet addressed. When addressed, the need for a substitute addiction resolves itself. When unaddressed, I will find something else to become addicted to. Today, when addictive behavior kicks in, I view it as helpful as it indicates that there is a problem that requires a solution and I can look for it, find it and address it in a more healthy way.

Let's keep on this cigarette thing together eh?
Old 01-24-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not Alone

SUP UKSG,

Now you have given up smoking the number one instinct is to go for food. You're going to do it unless you get really strict with yourself. It's going to sound stupid but water can actually take your cravings away. When you feel like eating something have a glass of water. If you still want to eat then your hungry. But if you don't it was just a craving. Obviously if you can try to eat healthily but well the majority of the tasty stuff isn't healthy unless you fancy doing a Jamie Oliver and cooking up pukka meals in 10 minutes bruv.

Take care,

Natom.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by legna View Post
Hi there,

Well I've battled (and gained victory over) an eating disorder too, over twenty years sobriety now and also three weeks and three days off of cigarettes.

You asked what other addictions you might form. I have found (for me) that any addiction is simply a solution for a problem I have not yet addressed. When addressed, the need for a substitute addiction resolves itself. When unaddressed, I will find something else to become addicted to. Today, when addictive behavior kicks in, I view it as helpful as it indicates that there is a problem that requires a solution and I can look for it, find it and address it in a more healthy way.

Let's keep on this cigarette thing together eh?
This makes a lot of sense, worrying though as I'm evidently looking for an addiction to replace the booze, food and fags; maybe I can become addicted to taking University Courses instead!!!