Notices

Your childhood

Old 01-21-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Other than my parents divorcing when I was a rebellious teenager, my childhood was pretty good. We were read to and loved, allowed to have lots of pets, and spent time with both sets of loving grandparents. And I (think I) have the dubious distinction of being the first alcoholic on either side of my family... not sure about that but both sides of the family were very religious so doubt anyone drank to excess, if at all.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My brother and I were taken to the hospital a few occasions from abuse. I left home at 14 because of it. I fell in love with the relaxed feelings I had from drinking. Alcoholism is very common in my biological family. The circumstances of my life did not cause my alcoholism. That is my sickness. But those circumstances did make the desire to drink irresistable.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My childhood was very good on the whole but there were big splits in it. My mum was quite a powerful figure who believed that children should be seen and not heard, but also worked tirelessly looking after everyone and genuinely cared how we turned out.

There seems a bit of a hole in my life that I've always been trying to fill and although I'm only on Day 8 I feel sure I've been trying to fill it with drink. To be honest trying to get to the bottom of what this hole is about is the main reason for stopping drinking, but I don't think my childhood is implicated. I guess in a few months I'll know more!