Notices

Quit Drinking Tattoos

Old 01-21-2013, 02:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quit Drinking Tattoos

I've quit before any number of times but never lasted more than a week.

Have any of you nice people ever got yourself a tattoo to help reinforce the commitment?

I'm thinking like maybe a small one in a place that you see regularly but isn't that obvious to other people, like the inside of your wrist.

One that includes the date of your last drink, and if you slip then you need to go back to the tattooist to get a line put through the date and the new one added.

If anyone has done this can they please share a photo?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If it's in a visable spot you'll be explaining it for the rest of your life. There may come a time where you feel it's nobody's business but your own. When we get sober for a while, our thinking changes. Hopefuly a lot.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Henry,

Funny you should mention that. This is actually my first time on this site and that has been on my mind a lot over the last several years. The concerns I've had with that same question is

#1: Having to explain to everyone what the tattoo means. The tattoo naturally is a reminder of your addiction and presumably something you could use as a tool to empower yourself. But I could see explaining it to everyone you run in to getting to be tiresome and even humiliating. If the idea of the tattoo actually worked, the value to you would be something of a scarlet letter, reminding you the demon you battle constantly. Would you be able to live with it, without being reminded by others. The tattoo could be designed in a way that other didn't have any idea of what it is and you wouldn't have to explain it. But, battling alcohol addiction is hard and it seem someone like me needs a hard reminder. If an obvious statement like "sobriety" is inked on your wrists, you cannot escape that. It's your "scarlet letter".

#2: What will happen if you get to a mindset where you are stronger mentally/ spiritually/ physically where you don't need the reminder,printed on your body? Or, with any tattoo, will you just get sick of it?

#3: Is it enough? I live in China, so theres no support for alcoholism. It's really not even regarded as a big problem. Most of the foreigners I know who live here are all big drinkers, so it's easy to get swept away with the normality of it all. If I got a tat' for this reason but it ended up that wasn't strong enough to battle the addiction with a contradiction tagged on my arm. It would be pretty bad.

I don't have any tattoos to date. I'm in my 40s now and feel I've made it out without committing to nay 1 design. That isn't to say I didn't ever want tattoos, it's just that I could never settle on any style that I felt I could have on my body the rest of my life. I'm a designer so this is often the case with designs. I have in the past sketched out anagrams or other interesting concepts for an alcoholic tattoo, but never got that far. I suppose many of the questions I posted are why.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I have this. Needs a bit of touching up but I'm happy with it.

Natom.

ForumRunner_20130121_105309.jpg
Old 01-21-2013, 02:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not Alone

And that's a roll up not a joint lol

Natom.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wouldn't have had enough wrist, forearm, bicep.....etc.

Personally, I think its a bad idea.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ha...tx for clarification Natom.

Henry....why a date? Why not a picture that reminds you (positive thoughts) that your recovery is ongoing and that you are the only one who knows what it stands for...
God Bless.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hi,, just chatted to my daughter,,
she is an apprentice artist,,
her thoughts regarding this is , v v positive,, she says, its a fab idea ,, but rather than "a date",,
incoporate it,, say in a pretty picture, or design, with something that represents the date,, ie,, the alignments of the planets? the date in a different culture maybe,, ie mayan calender??

something spiritual,, and thats personal to you,, but is also v represntative of that date,,
you do see a lot of it in usa,, ie miami ink ect,,its a very good and positive thing to do,,
but some peeps dont like tats anyhoo, so its a personal thing,

as for having to explain to peeps wot it is,, so what??
isnt that y we have tats anyway?? to show the world, how we feel??

inasia,, im not so sure that china doesnt recognise alcohol problems,, it has used kudzu plant to treat the problem for 6000 yrs or more,, i dont agree, but i dont live there,, so who am i to say ?

natom?? i love yr tat,, and hehehe lv the "roll up"",,lols

have a good day all,, and put up yr piccies of tats,, i love em xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

lv cleo xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Cleopatra1; 01-21-2013 at 05:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-21-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would think that one could accomplish the same thing with a sign over ones bathroom mirror.

Unless the person wants to quit drinking, commits to it and takes action...eventually they will just ignore the sign.

Just like the tattoo would get ignored given enough time. My two cents.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Well...I think ink is always a good idea, so my opinion is going to be slanted. I don't like the idea of a date, but I'm not a time counter per se. and I definitely don't like the idea of crossing out. That would highlight my failures, and not celebrate my accomplishments.
I have many tats that represent freedom to me, but only I know the significance. For instance, the hip to shoulder piece I got last year has five daisies incorporated, one for each year since I've quit. Daisies are significant because that's my grandmother's name. One of the most beautiful women I've ever known. This year I am starting a sleeve which will incorporate many themes and images that are important to me.

Body art is an outer expression of an inner freedom for me.

Natom, I love the piece on your hand and so glad that isn't a spliff. Will you marry me? lol
Old 01-21-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I didn't get a tattoo to reinforce my commitment or help me stay sober, but I am getting a tattoo to represent my new life (sobriety was of course the biggest part) now that I've been sober for 4+ years.. it's more of a celebration than a recovery tool. I'm getting a lotus flower (they grow up from the mud and bloom on top of the water, a classic symbol of new beginnings despite adversity). Here's a picture of what I'm getting, the chrysanthemum is to represent my son, the elephant is very symbolic to me and represents family, strength, wisdom, loyalty, and then the lotus of course representing my new beginning. It will go on my upper back and cover most of it:

That's just a rough sketch
Old 01-21-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Flutter!
That is going to be amazing...when are you starting?
The lotus is going on my sleeve too, yes...very symbolic of beauty and light from darkness and overcoming obstacles/struggles.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am a fan of tattoos, so yeah, I am a bit biased.

I only have five now, two of which our for my kids. My daughters is a sun on my chest with her name, and a remembrance tattoo on my shoulder for my son who was murdered last year (my wife and daughter have the same tattoo).

I have been thinking of the AA circle and triangle on my chest, and a back piece of a phoenix, to symbolize starting over. The phoenix will be a full back piece.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I'm getting it started on Saturday (finally after like 2 months of planning/sketch consults etc).. 4 hour session to begin with, he'll get all of the outlining and shading done, then a few more sessions after that for color and touchups!
Old 01-21-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am going to get "Don't drink today you idiot" tatted on my forehead, but it has to be in that reverse style so I can read it in my reflection every day.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

hahahaaa.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am seriously considering getting a tattoo for the same reason. My wife has tattoos and is trying to talk me out of it. I was thinking of just getting the chemical diagram for ethanol, but she said it would be ugly and is cliche. Honestly, I am not trying to make a fashion statement here. I WANT it to resemble a brand, kind of a self-shaming. I want to fight back against the label. Let me know if you find any relevant tattoo examples.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Kefka View Post
I want to fight back...
Then live a clean and sober life. That's the best statement we can make. The best expression of who we are.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I know people with AA/NA logos but I once heard a story about someone in the fellowship walking into a crack house (when he was still using) and seeing someone with a massive tatto on his arm that just said 'NA'. Some bad publicity right there.

Natom.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Mine was not just for sobriety, but for many things in my past. I have, on my hip, so I can touch it when I need strength without anyone knowing it's there, "Let it go."