Notices

WARNING! My annonimity has been compromised here.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Idiot that picked up a bottle.

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
ghostman-it is your user name not your email adddress. If you google your username and scroll down it even brings up this actual thread on the third page of google listings
Thanks. I just discovered that googling it.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I might be wrong, but I think you are the same ghostman who posted your youtube channel name a while ago. That's very easy to search and find. SR would show up in a search is someone googled you that way. Hope that helps to answer IF you are same person I'm thinking of.

---edited: ah. you posted in the meantime. I see the problem. Hopefully, tho' my info above will help someone else.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AngelwithWings View Post
I might be wrong, but I think you are the same ghostman who posted your youtube channel name a while ago. That's very easy to search and find. SR would show up in a search is someone googled you that way. Hope that helps to answer IF you are same person I'm thinking of.
You are correct.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Where would the email address be found on this site? I have never seen my own or anyone else's email address here.

Sappling--If you look above the picture of the dog on your posts you can see your username for all the world to see. (That's how I knew you were Sapling.) I do not think one can hide a username on this site.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm not talking about hiding my user name...I'm saying if I told people what it was...Of course they could Google it. That would be me compromising my anonymity...Not the site.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

By the way...I checked with the dog before posting his picture.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

WARNING! My annonimity has been compromised here.

Originally Posted by ghostman1960 View Post
Do not use your regular email address here. Someone Googled my email address and found me on this and the AA forum. Plus I was stupid for putting my own pic up as my avatar. I never knew they could find you that way.
I have done that many times. I came to SR following a fellow from another website. He had mentioned something about his past experiences and Googling his info confirmed the truth of his statements. He helped me a lot back then.

I Googled a fellow on another website who was struggling and found his pic and name on a Satanic website. I believe he was having HP trouble.

This is a good learning experience for many here.

(Don't look for me on the street, I didn't use my real photo ....... )

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-16-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ghostman1960 View Post
Im thinking they googled my user name. They sent me a screen shot of one of my posts.
WTH??? I can only imagine... What was that for??
Old 01-16-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
~sb

Other than ruffling your feathers, what was the purpose of the text you received?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I google my e-mail address and nothing came up. I then googled my username and I had to go 4 pages in to find anything.

Natom.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

this is all very dramatic. but you can change your username and be more anonymous if you need to be, you just send PMs to your friends and no one is the wiser. Contact the technical support section and an administrator will help you.

I wouldn't be starting a thread about it and call more attention to myself???
Old 01-16-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Did someone "expose" you in another forum or something?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reminder that the Internet is a public forum and one needs to be conscience of one's anonymity and posting content. Since I identify myself as a member of AA, I do my best to maintain my anonymity on a public forum. Like Sapling, my dogs have given their permission to use their pictures. Plus, they are a hell of a lot better looking than me.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hey, ghost, are you saying you put your email in a post? Or it was somehow gleaned from SR's files?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
~sb

Certain words or phrases can be caught in a search engine.

I've found posts from me (various sites) listed on different searches, although looking for me isn't too difficult today, I have nothing to hide.

Luckily, my email is different than one I used when the internet originally began.....lucky for this curious person!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It was ghost's username, not his email that can be searched via the web. See his reply a few pages back.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Ghost,
Might I suggest that you pm Dee or any other admin/moderator here, and ask, before you stir up a mountain out of a molehill? In the future it would be less embarrassing than breaching your own anonymity and then scaring some of our other fellow users when you don't realize you are doing that. I stay anonymous here because those are the rules, but after getting to know each other over time some meet in the real world, and I have given my real email and website to people I have interacted with here for years.

Look it is simple. Use different avatars and user names at every website you wish to remain anonymous on. Most people who do the opposite also use the same password everywhere. That can have consequences worse than being known.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
~sb

I could only locate me through emails.

Apparently there are many sugarbear1's around the 'net, but they aren't me!

ghostman1960, are you a gun fanatic?? Tons of info on you, if it's the same person......twitter, you tube, itrader, photobucket (that one is private) and several other sites, all with the same name.....
Old 01-16-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
Ghost,
Might I suggest that you pm Dee or any other admin/moderator here, and ask, before you stir up a mountain out of a molehill? In the future it would be less embarrassing than breaching your own anonymity and then scaring some of our other fellow users when you don't realize you are doing that. I stay anonymous here because those are the rules, but after getting to know each other over time some meet in the real world, and I have given my real email and website to people I have interacted with here for years.

Look it is simple. Use different avatars and user names at every website you wish to remain anonymous on. Most people who do the opposite also use the same password everywhere. That can have consequences worse than being known.
Done
Old 01-16-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you want to ask to change your username, PM Anna Ghostman.

SR is an open forum, it's searchable by Google & other search engines .

It needs to be - that's how most people find us.

When people sign up, we make it a point to tell you that - and we suggest you don't use usernames you've used somewhere else, or other things that may easily identify you, if you're worried about confidentiality.

I'm not sure what else we can do when people fail to read that bit.

From our part, there is no way that personal detail like email addresses are public - we take member privacy very seriously.

the only way someone could track anyone here by email is if a member posted their email address on the open boards - and we remove those when we see them, for this very reason

D