Notices

Is it possible to make too big a deal about getting sober?

Old 01-04-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

You can slice it and dice it a million different ways, but at some point it boils down to not drinking.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

we are all different kinds of pickles (alcoholics)

Some people might really need to make stopping their 2nd career or fulltime job, they need a structured daily program to help them...and at some point doing this becomes their normal routine. (much better than drinking)

Others don't have that degree of addiction...but still need to stay stopped and can't flip flop back and forth either.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Huh?

It's only a big deal if you think dying ISN'T a big deal.....

There are many more alcoholics that aren't documented. It is the single most destructive drug in the western world.

That being said, I do agree that there are likely many people out there taking advantage of those suffering by writing crappy books and making a quick buck. No doubt about that.

But, IMO, when an addiction gives you two options, living the rest of your life or dying young, it is definitely definitely a big deal.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Huh?

FreeFall, I am very much into MBTI (Myers briggs). Do they have personality type-based plans??? That would be awesome!

I am an INFP/INTP.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think there's a big difference between analysis and action in recovery - it's the difference between reading about climbing Everest and actually doing it.

Personally I don't think it's possible to put too much effort into the action part of recovery - the actual doing bit of not drinking and building a happy sober life.

I really believe we get out of our recovery what we put in

It might be possible to overdo the deliberation part that comes before that tho...I know I did

D
Old 01-04-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I was between INFP and ENFP. Took it a couple of times and got different results on the introvert/extrovert thing. I bet different types do respond to different methods. Will have to see if anyone has explored this...
Old 01-04-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I think it is like people with obesity. A million different diet books and methods. Try this try that. You just have to quit. And I realize you can't quit eating like you can quit drinking but its still similar.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

For me I just ask myself, do I want to make myself sick? Na. Do I want to save money? Yup. It works for me.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

You should put as much time and effort into recovery as you did into drinking and using.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Recoveryism can also be big business. Buyer beware.
Yea and if you spend $30,000 on rehab and start drinking I bet ya don't get a refund.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Yea and if you spend $30,000 on rehab and start drinking I bet ya don't get a refund.
lol no you surely don't. But they would suggest you go again, and again, and again...cha-ching
Old 01-04-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I have wondered about types of recovery for types of people. The hardest part of attending AA is the group of people. (for me)
I always jump when the entire group calls out my name. I just want to slide under the table. When I drink I always drink alone. I don't do the bar scene. I don't do large groups of people drinking or recovering. I believe that is why I have done so well here. There are'nt 40 sets of eyeballs looking at me.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
~sb

Those eyeballs might be looking in your direction, but their brains are focused on themselves.....