Notices

Facing consequences...court tomorrow

Old 11-27-2012, 09:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Facing consequences...court tomorrow

Sleep is far off tonight. I am going to court tomorrow morning for the dwi I got a few weeks ago. Since that event which also included a suicide attempt and a stay in the psych hosp, I have been working on my recovery harder than ever. And actually enjoying it. I can't figure out exactly what is making it easier for me this time. The obsession to drink is basically nil. Perhaps it's the fact that on that fateful night of November 7th, I acted in ways I never would sober. And I don't remember any of it. My life that night and for the next 24 hours after that is a secret to me and that terrifies me. I finally accepted that I am powerless. I can't ever try to moderate because once I have that first drink all bets are off. I am so grateful to be alive. And sober. But mostly for wanting to be sober while I am alive. If that makes any sense....going to face my consequences tomorrow and pray I get a work permit because obviously I need my job. Sorry for the long vent. I hope everyone is doing well.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sending prayers your way Quit.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck tomorrow,
Old 11-27-2012, 09:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

QFM, i was just thinking I hadn't seen ya today. I'll be hoping for the best for you tomorrow. I've been there. Don't know if its your first or what, I know they don't usually want pp to lose their job. Here, for the second one, you usually lose your license for 4 months and then have a restricted (work, AA, class, etc.) license for 3 years and most pp have to get the ignition interlock (also classes, AA and some jail time). I'm sure its even tougher now. I knew some pp who changed jobs to one on public transit or in walking distance and just didn't get the license. They saved $$$, esp. on the interlock, and they also were sure not to drink and drive, so they felt safer (Here, if you have interlock requirement and don't do it, you have to turn in your plates).

Let us know what happens. Even if it makes ya crazy mad, still don't drink.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Prayers sent..

And what you just wrote is a great thing to have prepared to tell the judge. This is coming from myself which I have been in front of the judge for 4 dui's. I didnt want to learn , sounds like you do. Be honest and everything will work out.

I always made so much more out of court than it would of been if I would have just surrenderd.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hoping for the best for you. I am twice done in 20 years but in Aud gail is very unlikely, supsensions and fines increase typically

With all the work you are putting in I think it will reflect well on your character. Have you considered writing a letter of apology to the court and maybe provide copies of some of some of you posts highlighting effort you are undertaking
Old 11-28-2012, 12:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Good luck quit, I'm sure once the court looks at your circumstances they will all be taken into consideration.

Natom.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes Quit

D
Old 11-28-2012, 12:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We all pray for you.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hi qfm,,, my prayers are with you buddy,, good luck and let us know how you are ,,
big hugs to you x lv cleo xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 11-28-2012, 03:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the prayers and well wishes all It is my first offense...license otherwise clean as a whistle lol I will let you all know what happens...
Old 11-28-2012, 03:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good luck. Glad you're feeling better.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hold on, Quit. My very best wishes to you.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Best of luck. You are brave. Face the consequences and make them your resolve to live a better life free of this liquid prison.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Things will work out and remember your worst day sober is better than your best day drunk. It takes what it takes to realize that alcohol want us dead. Thank God that your life was spared. I was given a second chance and I plan on using everyday I have left in a positive way.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It is going to be okay. Prayers going out for you. Same some prayers for yourself.

Is this your first DUI? The first court date is usually an arraignment and you just enter a plea. Waiting for the next court date is the killer. Pray, keep going in your recovery and think positive thoughts.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Anybody charged with DUI should get a lawyer. Don't just plead guilty.

If your charge was on November 7 of this year, then today is likely a first appearance. You can get an adjournment, and retain a lawyer, and perhaps then set a trial date for some time in the new year, which will, in a worst case scenario, at least give you some time to arrange things concerning your work to the extent you can.

There are lots of ways you can get lucky and beat a DUI. Whining to the judge BTW is unlikely to help you at all.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I went to my dui court thing on the 15th. 1st offence. I pleaded guilty, and had a lawyer. I got a reduced fine and they waived the victim surcharge. (There was no victim, thank goodness. It's a charge that's automatically added.) Also 18 mo. probation and 12 mo. no license. As bad as it was, it also wasn't so bad. Uncomfortable, but I feel I did pretty well. (Canada here.) Like you, I have no desire to drink now, and hope that lasts forever. However, I am attending AA for support. Good luck to you!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

There are lots of ways you can get lucky and beat a DUI
In the past yes you could have some wiggle room. But NOT Today .

Your first offense you be fine. Fine, Meetings, Short Probation, Dui intervention program, Driving Privilage.

Main thing is your are learning from this. Like I said you dont have to get the other 3 before you decide to learn.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

World record so far of people I know is 9 DUI's