Notices

Facing consequences...court tomorrow

Old 11-28-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'll drill it in here as I wish someone had done it for me. Do NOT let this happen again. As said the 1st one is a slap on the wrist and all the promises in the world that you will never do it again can be forgotten with time. Gradually over the years if you are still drinking your confidence grows and even if it's not as extreme as it sounds this one may have been for you it could take anything. Maybe just 2 beers at a picnic and you drive home around the corner...maybe your stopped at a stop sign and rear ended by a blind person...guess what...you go to jail for a long time. As it was stated in this post the laws become a lot more severe on your 2nd offense. It's something I don't feel they stress nearly enough in the classes that you attend for a first offense. The classes that I took for my first at least nothing short of told you "how" to drink and drive i.e. doing the math of .02 x 4 = .08 so logically you can have 3 beers and be ok. WRONG. Sounds like you've got your head straight. Please keep it there and good luck tomorrow. You will be fine.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone. It is my first and when I went in today I only saw the prosecutor. Fessed up to my crime and said I was ready to take the consequences. He asked if I have a problem drinking. Told him straight out I am an alcoholic and back in recovery. He offered me the education program which is expensive at $1500 but if I get accepted for it (by the judge on january 7th) and complete it the DWI charge won't stay on my record. As for my license, he thinks the DMV will suspend it for 3-6 months but I won't know until they send me a letter. Once I get that I can apply for the work permit. Today was the first time I saw the actual police report and it was HORRENDOUS. I don't remember doing or saying any of the things I did. I won't go into detail because it's honestly traumatizing to me at this point. All I can say is that I don't ever want to be that person again. The prosecutor said "Let this be a wake up call for you" And it is. I will work on my recovery day by day still...roping myself back in if or actually when I become complacent. Thanks for all your support, love being here and sober. Hugs to all!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Onward and upward, Quit - you can do this!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Quit,

Good luck tomorrow. I hope you are able to get the education class and that they take all you have been doing into account.

Sending virtual hugs.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Great result quitforme. Great attitude to, doing the work day by day in recovery
Old 11-28-2012, 07:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Best wishes and luck to you!
I recently got charged with a second DUI so I am dealing with the horror of facing jail time in January. Im glad no one was hurt..my breathalyzer readings were off the charts, the cops were surprised I could walk and talk and wasnt dying of alcohol poisoning...if I hurt anyone or worse jail wouldnt even worry me Id feel so bad.
My point is I empathize with the stress and worry over court. You can get past it though Itll pass and then it will just be a fading bad memory.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Quit, just reading this now. I'm glad you're through the first hurdle and know a little more of what to expect. I'm sorry that the police report was so scary and crazy. That's how you know how mind altering alcohol is-things you would NEVER do or say sober happen regularly. You're facing the consequences head on and that's got to help in this whole thing. Having a good attitude,some humility, and a plan for recovery is bound to impress the people that make the decisions in a positive way.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:11 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I wish you luck too windfall. I hope that you won't have to do jail time. But, like you said, it could've been so much worse for both of us and that's what is keeping me sane right now. And yes freefall...I now TRULY get the "alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful" statement. I am going to have to find a way to get thru this shame & remorse I feel. I hope that by continuing to work my program I can get some relief from what I did. I know that if I don't let it go it will lead to nowhere good. And you're right...facing this head on and gratefully sober is the best way to do it.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'll tell you what worked for me Quit...I read the first 164 pages of that book..Until I understood it. Then I picked one meeting I could go to every day....I found the people in that meeting that GOT IT....And I hung onto them. They saved my life. Get a sponsor...And get busy.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks sapling Have my sponser and she's awesome. Really getting to know my people in AA and doing A LOT of reading which is really helping. It's got to be it for me this time...I will do anything anyone says
Old 11-28-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Willing to go to any lengths...That's what it's all about. I'm praying for you Quit.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:03 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Glad you made it through yesterday, Quit. I know what you mean about reading over the police report - it was horrible for me too. (I blew 4x the limit .. 47 year old mom sitting in a holding room repeating, "I'm cool, I'm cool" ... before sliding off my chair and onto the floor. Ugh.

Hang in there. I like to believe things happen for a reason. You will come out of this and move on, better and stronger. (hugs)