Notices

How are you doing today?

Old 11-02-2012, 05:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Question How are you doing today?

I am fine, thank you.

Isn't that a really annoying question?

It's the most dishonest answer I think we all give.

But since you asked....

I am sober today. I was sober yesterday. I will be sober tomorrow.

I did my morning meditations. I have my three charms in my pocket. I have a smile on my face.

I don't feel great physically but I make up for that with a good outlook for my weekend.

I prayed deeply for those in my area still suffering. I see it all around. I try to help by being supportive and offering anything to assist.

Most say no. They are doing fine. I think they are not being honest when I ask.

So then let me ask you?

How are you doing today?
Old 11-02-2012, 05:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm doing awsome !!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ;-)

Life is beautiful looking at it from sober eyes
Old 11-02-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Grumble.... Call me grumpy No power, phone, water... all that.

I awoke at 6:30, dark and cold house... I was lying there under my goose down sleeping bag, I slept in a different room than my wife (we keep each other awake if we don't have white noise, we weren't fighting, LOL)... I thought I will go to McDonalds and get a deluxe breakfast and get to the office and have some Starbucks coffee we keep there...

And then... no, I can't do that... I can't leave a cold house and no coffee for her... she doesn't know how to work the camp stove and her fire building talents are, well, she struggles, LOL... and the dog needs to go outside...

So, I thought, well, I'll start a big roaring fire and get a pot of coffee brewed and ready... i'll make me late to work, a little, but, that's what I gotta do...

So with the coffee in the carafe, the fire crackling, the dog all peed out... I go to tell her I'm leaving for work... She's not there, turns out she went in to work early, hours before she usually has to....

LOL

So I dismantle the fire, batten down the hatches...

Starbucks coffee is good stuff....
Old 11-02-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

that's a hell of a morning Mark! LOL!
Old 11-02-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mark! That's a hellofa morning!

I feel for you. I was only out a few days but its not easy to maintain normalcy.

With humor intact you seem to be making due ok. And your wife is lucky to have you for all you tried to do this morning. That was nice of you.

K
Old 11-02-2012, 05:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Wow, Mark, that is a challenge you have there, it sounds like you are taking it all in stride. WTG.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We lost power last year for several days last year in that freak snowstorm... I had resolved to buy a generator... well, the streets are paved with good intentions, LOL...

Yea, it's getting old, but we are all healthy and the house is only with minimal damage, lost some beautiful 70 year old tall pines, .... But now that I can get online and see the news, we got away unscathed, wow... Seaside Heights, OMG... I had my first sausage and peppers sandwich there, in fact, even now, decades later, I can't smell italian sausage cooking and not think of Seaside Heights, NJ...

So... Weasel, actually I am doing OK this AM, really glad you are too...

Old 11-02-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Fine = F'd Up, Insecure, Neurotic, and Emotional. My sponsor says, "Radiant" when asked how he is doing
Old 11-02-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I always hated when my sponsor said fine meant F'd Up, Insecure, Neurotic, and Emotional. In hindsight I can understand why she felt this way as it described her to a tee. Sometimes fine is the most accurate answer to the question..most people ask the question "How are you?" as a greeting not an opening to hear others tales of woe.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nobshere... True it's typically rhetorical but I thought it would be nice to ask it and mean it. Sometimes people just need to be asked and allow frustrations to get out.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am freaking tired, been sick for 10 daze, but sober so life is good.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I feel alone through this, but sober today. I am struggling with keeping up being sober, and my wife thinks that it is all about portion control. I have explained to her a hundred times that I cannot have one or two, and stop. I love my wife, but could use her compassion and love now more than ever. She is so busy I never see her other than an hour a night. She is super bury at work, and I am left alone a lot with our toddler. Sorry to ramble, but I wish she understood how hard this is for me. I just want her to say she is "proud" of me. I guess that day is not likely to come
Old 11-02-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm fine. And by that I mean.., I am feeling good physically and emotionally.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Walkingwithgod,

I think you should tell her everything you feel/wrote. Think of it this way, if you had a cancer that could possibly take your life, but with proper treatment and support you could heal from it would you tell her and would she support you?

Same with your situation with the bottle, it's a matter of life or death for you so she needs to take it seriously, and take the time for you.

Just my 50 cents budy ;-)
Old 11-02-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm feeling good Thankyou apart from an eye infection which is making me look like I'm wearing a Halloween mask.... Beautiful!
Strong in sobriety, and grateful that apart from looking like a zombie I have got a wonderful life!!
Old 11-02-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

doing well.....very joyful, very thankful.
WWG, i also wanted my husband to "make a bigger deal" out of me quitting. my sponsor told me, "he doesnt get it and he will never get it" just like he didnt get it when i told him i couldnt have one or two (what's the point, right?) they dont get it because they are not alcoholic. thats why we need eachother. God Bless and count your blessings (i am going to have that engraved on my tombstone, which i am not really going to have, but hypothetically...)
Good to hear your doing well, weasel! love to all!
Old 11-02-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

walkingwithgod, I think early in sobriety we expect a lot from other people..too much in fact. While I understand your need for affirmation from your wife it should have no bearing on your journey. As long as you know that you can't drink alcohol in any amount it matters not what she thinks. You are so fortunate to have the time you do with your toddler, enjoy it, children grow up so fast.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
Hey Walkingwithgod,

I think you should tell her everything you feel/wrote. Think of it this way, if you had a cancer that could possibly take your life, but with proper treatment and support you could heal from it would you tell her and would she support you?

Same with your situation with the bottle, it's a matter of life or death for you so she needs to take it seriously, and take the time for you.

Just my 50 cents budy ;-)
I have told her this, and she just says that she has no idea what to say. I kept most of my drinking a secret, because I would drink before she got home. She knew that I was drinking more then I was letting on, but it was not really becoming an issue. I have had somewhat decent success with stopping, and she does not seem to care. The only difference is that I am sober when she is around, and that is not all that often. She thinks that I have a portion problem, even though I explain that it is a drinking problem. She has not given me any real support, and that is what makes me think that who cares if I drink.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Don't YOU care if you drink?
Old 11-02-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nobshere View Post
Don't YOU care if you drink?
I do care, because I am sick of feeling like crap. I am trying to not drink, and work full time and do 80% of the parenting and house work. I feel so alone, and that I am trying to do so much. I just hate feeling like a single parent as I struggle with this.