Notices

I hate you Friday.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I hate you Friday.

I hate Friday more than any other day of the week. I always want to drink on Fridays, as I feel like it is a reward for getting g through the week. My wife could care less if I drink, as long as it is just a few and I don’t drink alone. I cannot have just a few, and I am starting to lose my mind. My wife does not understand my struggle and thinks it is just a habit I need to break, instead of it being a disease . I rarely see my wife and have a lot of time alone as my wife picks up my daughter after work from the sitter. I hate the ride home after work as I pass liquor store after liquor store. Had to post.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walkingwithgod View Post
I hate Friday more than any other day of the week. I always want to drink on Fridays, as I feel like it is a reward for getting g through the week. My wife could care less if I drink, as long as it is just a few and I don’t drink alone. I cannot have just a few, and I am starting to lose my mind. My wife does not understand my struggle and thinks it is just a habit I need to break, instead of it being a disease . I rarely see my wife and have a lot of time alone as my wife picks up my daughter after work from the sitter. I hate the ride home after work as I pass liquor store after liquor store. Had to post.
I plan on having 3 cold beers tonight (Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin). I've been sober since last Saturday so I feel it's OK.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Phoenix.

I always made plans to have "just one" or "just 3".
Never really worked out.
Good luck with that.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If I say "1" I should really say "10."
Old 11-02-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by unclebigs View Post
I plan on having 3 cold beers tonight (Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin). I've been sober since last Saturday so I feel it's OK.
All I can say is alcoholic thinking at it's worst.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

What about an AA meeting. They always help
Old 11-02-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

unclebigs, are you serious?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I could but they are at the time that my daughter gets home, and I want to see her before she goes to bed.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Could you pick your daughter up instead?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Would you daughter rather have a sober father or to be seen before she goes to bed? Sobriety is not easy and is all about choices.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

WWg, you know what you need to do and that is to get through every minute sober.

My boyfriend 'thought' the same thing about me. he used to drive me to work off my head on booze in the morning and I've seen it happen with other alcoholics too which is bizzare and clearly very complex. Their opinion doesn't matter in this right now, not least because actually they aren't blind it's just they can't cope with the concept and don't know how to help. Once you are sober for YOU tonight .... And ... tonight and .... tonight and ... today ... and now ... again ... she will see the change in you and understand what you need to do.

Podium Monday wasn't it? I don't know what that is but I saw you had posted about it

It comes from you, not your wife .

You can do it! X
Old 11-02-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My daughter gets dropped off closer to my wife's work than mine, and she picks her up Mon, Wed, and Friday. These are the days that I have alone time after work, and it is sucks.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Once you get home you might feel better.

I often find that watching everyone celebrating the end of week is rubbish.
I pick my baby up at 7pm and there are tons of people in the pubs and bars near the station.

As soon as I get home, away from it all, I feel better.

What your doing is great, really worthwhile spending time with your daughter.
Don't let the poster who seems to think it's going to help you that he is having 3 beers get you down. That is really not worthwhile - his beers or his comments.

xxxx
Old 11-02-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When I was drinking I hated Mondays now that I'm not I hate Fridays. Be strong your heart is in the right place
Old 11-02-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It is just so hard for me today. I just got a call from people at my old company, they are all going out tonight to celebrate a friend who is leaving. They are going to a bar next to my current office. I said I could not go, as there is no way I could be there and not have a brew.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

WWG: drive straight home, do not stop...staying sober has to be for yourself. It is nice for your wife and daughter that you are sober. But, it has to be primarily for yourself. So, it doesn't really matter if your wife truly understands you cannot drink moderately. It is really up to you to decide that no matter what happens, you just will not pick up that first drink. Don't put yourself to the test anymore...will it be one, two, three, or.....more?

If there was a cliff, would you jump off just to see if you could fall safely? Think about it, you want to keep yourself and your family safe, right? Drinking alcohol puts us at a disadvantage...we do not react quickly, we do and say stupid dangerous things....If you really don't want to drink, don't negotiate with yourself on the way home. Just drive home and don't stop.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It is just so hard for me today. I just got a call from people at my old company, they are all going out tonight to celebrate a friend who is leaving. They are going to a bar next to my current office. I said I could not go, as there is no way I could be there and not have a brew.
Don't think about it anymore, don't go...
Old 11-02-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Mondays was and still is a day I dont care
for, even it was day one sober all the way
to 22 yrs. It's still not my favorite. BUT......

Im SOBER..!!!!!

I look to Fridays as the end of the week so
my husband and I can have 2 full days to
enjoy together before work on Monday. Fridays,
we can be sit in front of a tv show with Ben & Jerry's
ice cream. YUM..! Or a favorite meal out or a nice
Fall walk.

It's all about changing or switching things around
in our lives to replace the destruction a poisonous
substance can do to us, loved ones and friends
around us.

Courage to Change.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

My wife does not understand my struggle and thinks it is just a habit I need to break,
While I think it's much more than 'just' a habit... don't underestimate the power of habit/routine. I began to find sobriety much easier when I started to develop new patterns and rewards. A starbucks on my way back from preschool. A scoop of icecream in the evenings. A long hot shower at the gym. Making sure I was really cozy in bed before thinking of 5 things to be grateful for, etc.

None of these things got me sober, obviously. But they helped me to enjoy sobriety. My life revolved around alcohol for so long. I just didn't have a clue how to enjoy living without it.

Friday is awesome. Pizza night! Then tomorrow morning - waking up feeling refreshed. Walking early with my family (3 small kids) to town for coffee and bagels.

You won't always want to drink on Fridays. Honestly the thought doesn't even enter my head.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think what is so tough is that I am always alone, or my wife is never around. She has to work some weekends as she runs a health care facility. I am with my daughter Sat and sometimes Sunday all day. I see my wife about an hour a night during the weekdays. I just feel like if I drank she would rarely see it, and who cares (I know dumb thought). I am just sick of trying and getting zero encouragement. I am sick of doing all the parenting, cooking and cleaning. It is too much without any help or companionship.