Notices

I wish I had the courage to go to AA.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IWillWin View Post
WWG - I did it. Just got back. I put on my big girl pants and marched right on through that open door. Apparently, I've hit the AA jackpot because the meeting is right around the corner, on Sundays at 2pm (manageable with my busy work schedule) and the people there were amazing. It is a closed discussion meeting and many, many people make it their home group. I won't blah, blah, blah all about it but I can tell you that for the first time I feel like this is right for me. I may never be a devout participant, but my ass is going to be at that church EVERY Sunday from now on. There are so many tools available and face-to-face support is right there...and it is free! No more paying therapists to listen to my tales of woe and struggle, these folks want to hear AND speak from experience.

All in all, it was wonderful to say the words out loud. I am an alcoholic. And in that room, I was not ashamed to admit it. As soon as the words left my lips a giant invisible weight left me too. I'm hoping you try it...at least for a few meetings. That is my plan and I'm worth it. So are you. This battle is not won alone ... Trust me, I've tried.

And so begins my AA journey...
Great job on going to the meeting. I hope I can do it.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

WalkingwithGod, don't you think you should go to a meeting now and see what everyone is talking about? You will meet some very nice folks who will welcome you with a smile and a handshake with no expectations of you. AA helps a lot of people, you should go and see if it is for you. At the least, it may get your thinking around to the idea about never drinking again, and that is a good thing.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walkingwithgod View Post
Great job on going to the meeting. I hope I can do it.
Bonus fact. I might actually make some sober friends! So can you...people who go out for meals and coffee and have meaningful conversations. I'm looking forward to that possibility. Since I have to dump my drinking friends this is a very welcomed opportunity. Dumping my drinking friends will be hard, we have a real bond beyond the booze, but, to be honest I don't think I will like them as much with clear eyes and sober. They party. I don't. It's gonna be rough but a sacrifice I have to make in order to save my life.

So,new friendships on the horizon...just another plus of being sober and hitting a meeting.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I wish I had the courage to go to AA. My therapist thinks it is a good idea, but I am scared and ashamed of myself.
I felt the same way, which is what prevented me from going for so long. However, I finally found the courage to go on Friday and it was great. I went to a closed group for women, and you hear stories like your own, or some that make you realize co it Ii g to drink can get you where you don't want to be. However, the best thing was the support, and compassion I found from women I had only sat with for an hour.

Give It a try I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thumbs up I am scared too.

I wish I had the courage to go to AA. My therapist thinks it is a good idea, but I am scared and ashamed of myself.
I just signed up to this site today and I am terrified to actually go face people. Maybe if you go , I can go to?
Old 10-14-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1mixedflowers View Post

I just signed up to this site today and I am terrified to actually go face people. Maybe if you go , I can go to?
A you going to go? I am looking for one in my area.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

All right...If you two guys go...I'll go.....I wish I could come over and snatch both of you up and take you myself....I'm telling you...You'll like it.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

GO! There is no possibilty of regretting that decision and action. NONE!

I just got back from my first meeting in what I thought was about a year. Turns out it was almost 3, after talking to a few people tonight.

Got tons of smiles, handshakes and a hugs. I know why. I could tell by looking in the of the people I knew. There were glad to see me, glad I was at a meeting, and glad I was still alive!

Felt/feels GREAT!
Old 10-14-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
All right...If you two guys go...I'll go.....I wish I could come over and snatch both of you up and take you myself....I'm telling you...You'll like it.
I wish I had one of you to go with me.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I wish I had one of you to go with me.
Most meetings will give the opportunity for any newcomers to introduce themselves. Once you say, "Hi my name is John and this is my first AA meeting" people will introduce themselves. Find one or more you are comfortable with, get their numbers and go to the meetings they go to.

By the way, I have no idea where in MA you live, but you mentioned wanting a meeting before work. If you happen to live near Gloucester, there is a meeting every morning at 7am near the Friendly's rotary on Gloucester Avenue. I have family in the area and go to that one when I am in town; it is a really good meeting - check it out.

Good luck!

Edd
Old 10-14-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

I went alone tonight. You can too. Granted I knew there would be people there who I remebered and who remembered me but it really doesn't matter.

Everyone is very welcome. Speaker meetings are best, IMO, for new comers. Don't worry, you don't speak, someone with 90+ days does, arranged in advance. As someone said here, newcomers are extremely welcome. Everyone there was a newcomer at one time and they want to help you as they were once helped.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

It does get better. I first time I did think I was going to throw up. Asked if there were new members and I actuallly raised my hand. I felt more welcomed than when I changed high schools. I really needed to understand it was not about AA it was about me.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Euphoric Recaller

I went to my first meeting because my therapist told me to go. I was really nervous and scared and ashamed going to my first meeting. Now going to a meeting is no big deal for me. I go all the time and I love it. Sometimes I wish I could go through the experience of going to my first meeting over again.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:52 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Over 10 years ago, I wrote about the same thing here and the comments I received made me kinda excited to go. Guess What. It was the best thing I ever did in my life and IT was the most AWESOME time - my first meeting. I didn't want to leave! I knew that this (AA rooms) was where I was going to get the answers. I have now enjoyed 10 years and a month of continuous sobriety. The 12 Steps WORK ... but you have to do the work, nobody else can do it for you ... for emotional and spiritual growth and health.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I was so excited to receive my newcomer token. I have it with meat work. I am taking a five minute me break to check in. I have numbers for people I know I can call and found one meeting I really liked. I will keep going back to that one. Good luck to all of you going for the first time. I had the same feelings. I was embarrassed, scared, and mad at myself for getting here. I was embraced by total strangers who made me realize I wasn't alone, and I know I wouldn't have found that feeling other places, except on this website.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
I was so excited to receive my newcomer token. I have it with meat work. I am taking a five minute me break to check in. I have numbers for people I know I can call and found one meeting I really liked. I will keep going back to that one. Good luck to all of you going for the first time. I had the same feelings. I was embarrassed, scared, and mad at myself for getting here. I was embraced by total strangers who made me realize I wasn't alone, and I know I wouldn't have found that feeling other places, except on this website.

Awesome, and good for you. I want to go, but I feel embarrassed telling my wife I want to go. My wife knows that I have an issue, but she still thinks that I can have 2 and stop. I don't think that she can understand how I obsess about drinking, and cannot stop the thought of drinking. I made 11 days recently and she was proud, but I am not sure she knows how hard it is for me. She and understands the disease, but not sure she understands how hard it is for me.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Yeah, the fear of it is much worse than the reality of it (isn't that usually the case?!!). I think [we] alcoholics are a pretty sensitive and friendly bunch, for the most part, so there IS a lot of compassion there. I did introduce myself last night at my first meeting, and said I only had 2 days and just wanted to listen. A member afterwards told me he was surprised I even talked -- that it took him 3 months to talk when he first came.

I WOULD recommend it if you like the Feeling of being hugged (whether they hug you or not...).
Old 10-15-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Walkingwithgod you might want to call and speak with someone from AA (see the link below for Massachusetts numbers). Talk with them and tell them your situation. Perhaps the person you talk to would be willing to go to a meeting with you, show you how things go, answer questions etc. Most people answering phones are more than happy to help.

Alcoholics Anonymous : Local Resources that provide A.A. Meeting Information States
Old 10-15-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the bottom line is if we're not prepared to try new things that might be good for us - however good the reasons might be - we're just left with the stuff we know and have tried before, like drinking....

and that's really no solution.

I really like your user name WWG - and I really believe that if you go to a meeting you won't be alone when you do.

Have a little faith - it'll be OK

D
Old 10-15-2012, 10:42 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Awesome, and good for you. I want to go, but I feel embarrassed telling my wife I want to go. My wife knows that I have an issue, but she still thinks that I can have 2 and stop. I don't think that she can understand how I obsess about drinking, and cannot stop the thought of drinking. I made 11 days recently and she was proud, but I am not sure she knows how hard it is for me. She and understands the disease, but not sure she understands how hard it is for me.
My husband doesn't quite get it either. He thinks I should Justine able to stop. He drinks a few beers each night, and has said he should cut back, I agree, but not pushing him. I knew I needed to do something for me, and the meetings helped. Good luck!!!!