Notices

I wish I had the courage to go to AA.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I go Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays. Thursdays and Fridays is wife time. I would not go if I did not strengthen my sobriety and I just have a nice time with my sober friends.

As far as I know it has not killed anyone going to a meeting but I know for a fact it has saved a lot of lives
Old 10-17-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walkingwithgod View Post
I am not trying to say that all AA people are "bums", but it is all that comes to mind. I guess I have watched too much TV. I am not anything special, just a 34 year old professional dad/husband trying to work hard and climb the ladder. Sorry to all of you if I came off as a snob, I trust you I am not.
yes, you have watched too much tv.
bums or not, we will help you recover from alcoholism, but we cant do it til ya stop making excuses and get to a meeting.
i cant work sobriety around my life. i have to work my life around sobriety.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I know 2 doctors, 4 teachers, HR Director, investigator, 3 business owners, clergy, pyschologist, Harvard Educated Health Care professional, auto mechanic, IT professional, 2 Industrial sales, medical sales, housewife, artist, quality tech, 3 students, postal worker, 8 retired, biker, 2 factory workers, Industrial mechanic, PT Worker, Graphic artist, CAD Designer, 4 carpenters, and these are only the people I know well enough to know what they do. Some are old some are young some are black some are white, some are straight some are gay, some are rich some are poor, some are educated some not. Alcohol does not discriminate
Old 10-17-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I know 2 doctors, 4 teachers, HR Director, crash scene investigator, 3 business owners, priest, pyschologist, Harvard Educated Health Care professional, auto mechanic, IT professional, 2 Industrial sales, medical sales, housewife, artist, quality tech, 3 students, postal worker, 8 retired, biker, 2 factory workers, Industrial mechanic, PT Worker, Graphic artist, CAD Designer, 4 carpenters, and these are only the people I know well enough to know what they do. Some are old some are young some are black some are white, some are straight some are gay, some are rich some are poor, some are educated some not. Alcohol does not discriminate
I wish I had someone to go with me, but I realize I need to do this on my own. At this point I am using SR and therapy to help stay sober.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I am wondering if you have a sponsor what is it like? Do you hang out and talk about alcoholism or other subjects as well?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I know 2 doctors, 4 teachers, HR Director, investigator, 3 business owners, clergy, pyschologist, Harvard Educated Health Care professional, auto mechanic, IT professional, 2 Industrial sales, medical sales, housewife, artist, quality tech, 3 students, postal worker, 8 retired, biker, 2 factory workers, Industrial mechanic, PT Worker, Graphic artist, CAD Designer, 4 carpenters, and these are only the people I know well enough to know what they do. Some are old some are young some are black some are white, some are straight some are gay, some are rich some are poor, some are educated some not. Alcohol does not discriminate
no lawyers? Just bustin' your chops, MIR
Old 10-17-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

A sponsor helps take you through the steps. The relationship can be limited to that or you can become friends and hang out... But it's about helping you with the work, so you can ultimately help someone else.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by silly View Post
no lawyers? Just bustin' your chops, MIR
Actually no lawyers suprizing I agree. I forgot to mention the church lady. Of all the people I know or ever met in AA., she looks and acts sooooooooooo non-alcoholic but she is the real deal

There is no possible way you would believe she had a problem unless you got to know her
Old 10-17-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Not one in the legal field? LOL
Old 10-17-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I have checked. I just wish there was a meeting that was more convenient, that really sounds like an excuse.
Yes. It does sound like an excuse. And people going to AA are no more bums than the person sitting next to you at work/on the bus/at a restaurant/in line at the grocery store. I don't go to AA anymore. But when I did I had all the same "reasons" for why I didn't make meetings. 1. It's too late 2. It's too early 3. It's a bad part of town 3. It's in too good a part of town 4. It's on Saturday and I want Sunday 5. It's on Sunday and I want Monday... 6. What if I see someone I know 7. What if I don't know anyone

None, and I mean NONE of these things should matter. If I'm having a really bad day, I still know I could walk into a meeting and be welcomed as if it was my first time or my 1000th time.

I think it if you want to go, then you should go. Look at all the support you have!

Do you want to go? Not talking about convenience or hiding from your wife or being nervous. Do you want to go?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

Walkingwithgod

If you really want to go - go
Time for excuses is up. Time to take a deep breath and make a move
Old 10-17-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Time to $hit or get off the pot
Old 10-17-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Not sure I can get myself to go. I want to, but my fear of accepting I am an alcoholic is very hard. I know I am, but going to a meeting will prove I have no control. I am sorry to bother all of you with questions, and the "I want to go" thing but don't actually go.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I am wondering if you have a sponsor what is it like? Do you hang out and talk about alcoholism or other subjects as well?
I have a sponsor. We talk about all kinds of stuff. We work on the steps and read from the BB, and then later talk about life, etc. We are in the same professional field and that helps a lot. Sometimes I talk to her about how to handle certain things, like my family and my alcoholism.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Not sure I can get myself to go. I want to, but my fear of accepting I am an alcoholic is very hard. I know I am, but going to a meeting will prove I have no control. I am sorry to bother all of you with questions, and the "I want to go" thing but don't actually go.
I don't mind the questions. I understand the wanting to know. But yeah, time to just get to a mtg. Seriously, you are making it wayyyy bigger than it really is.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Administrator

I empathise WWG - it's scary to make big changes.

If AA is too immense for you now - find something else - whether it's a book based approach like AVRT, or an online meeting like most recovery programmes have.

Like I said before if your only solution you have to reach out to is to drink, you're going to find you get nowhere.

Changing our lives requires change. There's no way out of that...I think most of us found we had to leave our comfort zone and face some discomfort for things to get better.

But they will - if you add new stuff into the mix

D
Old 10-17-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

just a note too - I sense some frustration in replies here.

If you find you're getting frustrated, maybe move onto other threads, take a walk, play with the dog?

Lets keep this thread positive and constructive - I think it's been good for WWG and hopefully it will be good for peeps to read in years to come.

D
Old 10-17-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hi again WWG before I go to bed.

I didn't think for one minute that you are a snob, you've never been to A.A so of course you wouldn't know what to expect, like you said, too much t.v. My vision of A.A was a circle of around 10/12 people all having to take a turn in saying 'my name is whatever and I'm an alcoholic' then telling the others about how many times they'd wanted a drink, or caved in etc, then getting a lecture from the leader. A bit like slimming club, where they want to know how much weight you've lost and if not why!!!!! How totally wrong, hahahaha! What did surprise me though was how many people do have problems with alcohol and I thought it was only me!! Half of my town must have a drink problem!!

Anyway with that I'll bid you good night.

Stay safe out there

Big hugs

Gxx
Old 10-17-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

walkingwithgod - I have never been to an AA meeting but I will tell you my son's experience. First I will say that I wanted him to get sober and pay for private counseling. The counselor wanted him to go to AA and I snubbed my nose just a bit. My son is 21 and we are very middle class. I had the impression of AA meetings as a bunch of people who gather change to go to the liquor store, out of work, and unsuccessful people. I could not have been more wrong. The people in the group that my son goes to are professional people that have been sober any where from recently to 30 years. AA has been the best thing that has happened to my son.

I will tell you that my son was a little afraid to go to so he asked that we take him. He chose a closed group so my husband nor I could attend but we dropped him off and picked him up when it was over. Last weekend he was out of town with college friends and was very tempted to drink so he called his sponsor and the sponsor recommended he find an AA meeting and go. He looked one up and attended. The support he gets from the groups has kept him sober for 3 weeks. I know that isn't a long time but the tremendous growth he has made in understanding his addiction and the desire he has to stay sober would not have progressed without AA.

Good luck in finding a group and making it work. I recommend you find a group - don't use time as an excuse even if you have to go to a late night group and just go. I wish you the best.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I wish I had someone to go with me, but I realize I need to do this on my own. At this point I am using SR and therapy to help stay sober.
my man, i've asked you about your belief in God. you believe in Him.so where is HE in this? maybe its time for ya to leave one set of footprints in the sand.