Notices

Lost cause

Old 09-17-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by SoberForMySon View Post
Idid tell my shrink, he thought I was mad and there's nothing to fear. I also told a member here lol. I guess I am truly mad cos I can't let it go.
Is it a fear that can really happen? Why is it so important to hold onto?
Old 09-17-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks friends. It COULD happen, but very unlikely. Like a a plane crashing into your head, really.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks, not cutting is darned hard
Old 09-17-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Idid tell my shrink, he thought I was mad and there's nothing to fear. I also told a member here lol. I guess I am truly mad cos I can't let it go.
You don't have to let it go! All you have to do is accept what is. And that includes the fact that you can't let it go in this moment. (Does that make sense?)

When you're in the moment, you're observing and just experiencing/feeling whatever comes up. You're not really thinking about it. Once you start doing that, you've lost touch. You're not in the moment anymore.... you're in the past or future and you're judging your experience, thinking about when it's going to end, or why you feel that way, what you can do to change it, hide from it, etc. That's where the pain comes from. (AA talks a lot about the need for acceptance, and in the end it's really the same thing. Staying in the moment, or mindfulness, is just a way to make it a conscious practice).

Think about a time you might have been totally present, absorbed in something - playing sports, working with your hands, whatever - and you weren't judging the past or anticipating the future. That's what it feels like - to me, anyway....

Hope that helps a little bit?
Old 09-17-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks you art soul, I think I love your wise posts!!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Jake, 19

Originally Posted by SoberForMySon View Post
I think I may be one. Thanks to BUS, referenced in the sticky on suicide, for self harming people, I quit cutting. What a great site!!! Been there for years, ten or more, and finally knocked that habit. But I cannot kill the fear in e of one specific thing that will probably never happen, but would take everything from me if it did. How do I get over this? I cannot eat, sleep, play, watch TV, or anything, cos this fear is so all consuming, even though it is so unlikely. Clearly, I cannot even think of ending an addiction in the middle of trying to function at all with a horrible terror ruling my life. I do not know what to do. I know drinking doesn't help in reality, but it gets me through each fear filled horrible day. I have over a year before the fear ends, and even longer maybe because of pesky details. Ugh! Help me! I am dying here. I have already given up all my hobbies and interests, cos the fear is so strong. My life has no joy. And no, there is nothing I can do to resolve it.
I often have similar feelings, but one thing remains true (regardless of whether I adhere to it or not) - would you prefer to be miserable with a hangover, or without one?

Sorry I can't post anything more useful, as obviously I haven't exactly found the light at the tunnel yet either. But just try to avoid the destructive behaviour and hope that things fall into place.

Thanks also for being so supportive on my thread. It's strange how we may not see hope for ourselves, but see hope for others in almost identical situations.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Amen to that, friend.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's some brilliant advice here SFMS

I used to think I was a lost cause. I wasn't
I've met thousands of people here. Not one of them has been a lost cause either

Lots of people convince themselves they are tho - don;t let yuorself go down that road.

Getting sober can be scary...it can uncover other stuff too - which is even scarier.
But you're not alone on this journey...and you can make it...for yourself and your family...don't give up or lose hope

D
Old 09-17-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks dee, you're an amazing inspiration of love and hope. I think I love you!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks SFMS...I really do believe you can do this

D
Old 09-19-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

How are you doing today SFMS?
Have you tried any of the ideas posted? Did any of them help?