Notices

Feeling a bit like a fraud.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Feeling a bit like a fraud.

Hi all,
So, I've come here because I finally admitted I have a problem with alcohol. Been to Doctor, first AA meeting yesterday, no booze in 5 days.
Thing is, I feel like a phony. Everyone at the meeting was lovely, but they were all like "oh this part is so hard, don't worry, it will get better" and I'm like, "meh, I'm mostly ok actually"
My drinking has been unhealthy. Secret, frequent and for the express purpose of damping anxiety and blotting out troubles. 2 bottles of wine, on the down low, was common.
But by and large I was still functional, just miserable and making my partner miserable, too. I'd tried to cut down solo but never lasted very long.
But it's not the "hit bottom" I keep hearing about. It's more the edge of the cliff. I can see where this is taking me and I don't want to go there.
But when I hear of these people with much more serious problems than me I feel like a tourist, enjoying the support on false pretenses.
Does that make any sense?

SG
Old 09-10-2012, 02:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Everyones problems different, its not how much you drink or when you drink, its how drink is affecting your life.

Reading your post suggests to me its affecting your life. These forums are great some great posters.

Stay of alcoHELL and watch things improve, slowly but they will improve.

Good luck.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yes SG, it does make sense. Today we are much better educated on addiction, we don't have to "hit bottom" as low as was done in the past. If alcohol is giving you problems, AA or Ratioinal Recovery, SMART or another program can help you quit drinking.

What is the hardest part, I think, is realizing we have to quit drinking altogether. it seems once the addiction trigger has been pulled, there's no going back to moderate or "normal" drinking for some of us.

Please don't feel like a fraud or a phony. many of us didn't lose jobs, spouses, have legal problems and also drank on the down low. I was like that. I'm sober today. alcoholism is tricky. read around on SR and you'll see, you're not alone!

Love from Lenina
Old 09-10-2012, 02:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

um, Things will change. Just keep going and don't think you are so different this moment since things aren't so bad. We are all different.

Just don't drink and keep coming back!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sarah - welcome

I think it's a natural human thing to compare ourselves to others, but I'm not always sure it's useful.

Your drinking was unhealthy, it caused problems for you and your partner, you had troubles stopping or cutting back.

All of us can identify with that, no matter what our story

I think you're in the right place at AA and I know you're in the right place here

D
Old 09-10-2012, 03:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sarah,

There are people in AA with much worse problems, or lower bottoms than you. You don't want to go there, trust me.

I used to have a bad habit of telling my "drunkalog" in AA meetings. I drank a fifth of whiskey a day, minimum. A wise old timer called me out on this, saying that the guy that was in AA trying to kick a 10 beer a day habit doesn't need this kind of stuff for exactly that reason - he might think he doesn't really have a problem. He told me to refocus my sharing on what is better now that I'm sober. That was great advice.

I also now tend to go to big book or step study meetings as opposed to discussion meetings. Discussion meetings by their nature tend to allow people to talk about their drinking history, their car broke down yesterday, their job sucks, etc. - things that have nothing to do with recovery or the 12 steps. If you can get to a big book or step study meeting I highly recommend it.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Makes perfect sense to me Sarah. I felt very much the same way. But then I still found myself nodding lots in AA meetings! Try to look for the similarities rather than the differences. The problem with alcohol is always the same even though the circumstances may be different. I bet if you hang around a bit you'll discover a lot more people who had a similar experience to you. I thought I was a 'functional' alcoholic too, until someone here pointed out to me that was a stage of alcoholism rather than a type. I could see how things were getting progressively worse and really it was questionable how well I was functioning!

I also have this problem of minimising my drinking problem... especially early on in recovery and other peoples horror stories supported that in a way. But really that was just my alcoholic voice trying to convince me it was okay to drink... 'it wasn't that bad, maybe you could drink socially after all', when I knew fine well that I wasn't capable of doing that. Those thoughts have calmed down as the months pass but it has been a bit up and down.

Glad you're here x
Old 09-10-2012, 03:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR Sarah,you are definitely in the right place at an AA meeting.

Keep going back and look for the simlarities in peoples shares not the differences.In the meetings I attend there are loads of people who drank like you.I took my drinking a lot further,one of the reasons for that is I didnt want to go to AA! I can see the madness of that thinking today.

The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking.

I am sure if you keep going back you will find plenty of ladies who will give you their phone numbers,Try some different meetings,there are plenty in Sheffield.

Wishing you well.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think they covered it pretty well...Identify...Don't compare...Read the book and find one of those lovely people to take you through the steps. Congrats on 5 days and keep coming back!!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. I felt that way myself.

At the age of 20, I was in Al-Anon trying to deal with my mother's alcoholism, and in counseling trying to get my own mind straightened out. I continued drinking throughout it all.

Then I got a DWI at 21; and I don't remember the accident. I ended up with my license suspended, in a drinking driver program and was mandated to attend a certain number of AA meetings. I felt I had nothing in common with the people in that room, did my "duty", and kept drinking.

At 31, I got a second DWI, and rather than go through all that again, I chose not to drive, but I kept drinking. I ignored the courts and hid.

At 34, I was in a hospital detox and praying that someone would save me.

I honestly don't believe in the "bottom" theory; it's one of the reasons I come here to SR everyday. You don't have to be in the gutter and experience the pain that many of us have experienced - all you need is a willingness to stop the madness. You are on a cliff, of sorts, and what you do now can make all the difference in your life.

Truth is when I was at AA at 21, I was busy determining that my mother was at her bottom, and I did nothing for myself. Believing in that "bottom" theory kept me drinking for far too many years, with the result being that it is exactly where I ended up. So unnecessary.

My hope is you do everything you can to get booze out of your life today. Stay the course...
Old 09-10-2012, 04:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Love your analagy of looking over the edge of the cliff.
This for me was probably my "rock bottom", I had lost alot, but not all (yet).
Dont compare your's to others.
The only true rock bottom is probably death. Everything else is subjective. It doesn't matter where or when your turning point is. As long as you have it. Landing up unemployed, in a mental institution, jail , etc etc doesnt make someone more or less an alcoholic/addict then anyone else.
No such thing as half pregnant
Old 09-10-2012, 04:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You're not a phony at all. You just have different problems than others. No sin in that. I agree with those who said that if it's causing you problems in your life it's best to stop drinking, no matter where you are at that point.

Welcome to the family!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and good for you for those 5 days.

I think it's fantastic that you aren't finding it tough - don't let that put you off being sober. Some people have no withdrawal symptoms and find the process fine, others have terribly symptoms and find that the beginning is awful.

You don't have to 'hit bottom' to get sober. You're not a fraud at all. I wouldn't necessarily say that I hit rock bottom... I just got to a point where I no longer wanted to live my life that way for mental and physical health reasons.

Hope you stick around and post as much as you want, it really does help.

Glad you're here
Old 09-10-2012, 04:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sarahgeek View Post
But when I hear of these people with much more serious problems than me I feel like a tourist, enjoying the support on false pretenses.
Does that make any sense?SG
Boy, can I relate. As far as my "present day life" is concerned, it is good, even when I was drinking. I have a wonderful husband (whose been waiting w/0 nagging, for me to come around.), My Son's and their, families...are great, nothing majorly stressful going on (yet)...Right now in the present, I should be happy, living normally, but somewhere along the way...I became a heavy drinker/alcoholic. (Past issues that haven't been resolved are what eats me up, thus I began drinking to drown them out.)

When I go to AA meetings, come here to SR, even during IOP Rehab, I listen, I hear and see that many others addictions/problems are so much worse then mine...but that doesn't mean mine can't get as bad.

I listen with an open heart and mind, I feel nothing but empathy and compassion for those who suffer worse then me, rather then compare myself with them, I'm trying to learn from them..Learn that I don't have to completely reach rock bottom before I find the necessary help I need to get better.

Afterall, I am still an Alcoholic, I share so much in common with each person I listen to and read about and each person no matter how awful their experiences are compared to mine, offer me hope and support. In fact when I here some of the life stories told...I think to myself, "Wow, If they can stay sober, I can too.

Sometimes we just need to look at the flip side of the coin. Good Luck with your recovery!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've been to hundreds of meetings through the years and have never:
1) heard anyone that drank exactly like I did
2) heard anyone describe their "bottom" exactly like mine was (that's kinda funny but ya'll know what I mean)

If we listen for an exact description of ourselves, we're probably not going to find it. Everyone is different. The point is that we share a common disorder and there is a common solution that works wonderfully.

All the best.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SunnyFlower View Post
I listen with an open heart and mind, I feel nothing but empathy and compassion for those who suffer worse then me, rather then compare myself with them, I'm trying to learn from them..Learn that I don't have to completely reach rock bottom before I find the necessary help I need to get better.
Beautiful....You can't find better people to learn from.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by Sarahgeek View Post
Hi all,
So, I've come here because I finally admitted I have a problem with alcohol. Been to Doctor, first AA meeting yesterday, no booze in 5 days.
Thing is, I feel like a phony. Everyone at the meeting was lovely, but they were all like "oh this part is so hard, don't worry, it will get better" and I'm like, "meh, I'm mostly ok actually"
My drinking has been unhealthy. Secret, frequent and for the express purpose of damping anxiety and blotting out troubles. 2 bottles of wine, on the down low, was common.
But by and large I was still functional, just miserable and making my partner miserable, too. I'd tried to cut down solo but never lasted very long.
But it's not the "hit bottom" I keep hearing about. It's more the edge of the cliff. I can see where this is taking me and I don't want to go there.
Does that make any sense?

SG
Yes, the "edge of the cliff" is exactly how I experienced the endpoint too. Seriously. I felt that I was standing on the edge of a cliff, and that was all I needed to make my decision to quit. It's actually quite an apt metaphor, I think, much better than the notion of "hitting bottom".

In fact, I think that the idea needing to "hit bottom" is seriously misplaced and best, and at worst dangerous. I cannot tell you the number of people I've known in my life who died of addiction because they were waiting for the magic moment when they hit bottom. Well, their "bottom" was death.

You do not have to wait to change your life for the better.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I used to think the same thing and there was a few things going on. One and most obvious - I really hadn't lost tangible things like my kids of husband. But two and most important I was just rigging my next 'relapse'. Because if I wasn't like them... I could still drink.

So just be careful. In recovery I have found is quite shocking to realize just how 'bad' I was.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I reached "the edge of the cliff" too, rather than rock bottom. I was terrified before I did my detox of how I would cope afterwards... I'm now 12 days sober and I feel wonderful It's like someone's has given me High- Def eyes, I feel alive in a way that I haven't felt for a long time My husband has his wife back, my daughter has her mum back and me? I'm BACK!! I am seeing an addiction counsellor and the alcohol misuse nurse weekly & I'm taking disulfiram, at least in the short term but I can honestly say, I've had no cravings, nothing & if someone put a glass of wine in my hand, I'd throw it away. Life is so good now, I'll NEVER go back to drinking again. I don't need that rubbish to feel better, I feel better than ever, sober
Old 09-10-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Your drinking sounds just like mine was. I stopped once for a while and went back to it after I decided I wasn't that bad. And when I quit, I wasn't nearly as terrible as I had been. But it doesn't matter. All of us have different experiences. The only thing we have in common is we used to or currently drink, and we want to stop. That's it.

When I quit, I didn't back myself off of a ledge or scrape myself off the bottom. I just threw off the cover that I'd been hiding behind.