Notices

Sobriety and depression

Old 09-17-2012, 10:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety and depression

I have been sober for 5 weeks. I drank nearly everyday for about 10 years.
The first few weeks of my sobriety were pretty easy and I managed to keep myself pretty distracted. However, I am recently feeling very fragile. I am very sensitive and depressed.
I have a history of mental illness issues, and I am feeling like I am having a hard time dealing with stressful situations.
Is this normal? Will it get better? I am worried that the alcohol was self medicating some bigger issues that I am not able to deal with sober.
No plans on drinking though, too scared still.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
EAE

Congrats on 5 weeks!

I have a history of mental illness as well, and I can remember during a previous attempt at sobriety, a flood of emotions that I had been suppressing overwhelmed me all at once. It will get better, but I would recommend making an appointment with your therapist as soon as you can.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Welcome wheeler.
Sobriety had the opposite on me, extremely rough physically in the first weeks, but my depression had became more manageable. I found that I was not swooping down as low emotionally as I had during my drinking years (I drank daily for a whole decade too), I got better at diverting my mind away from the 'triggers' that use to make me zone-out and get depressed. Behavioral Therapy, try to deal with the issues one at a time if possible.
Best wishes.