Notices

In the hospital

Old 09-04-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In the hospital

Hey all.

Meg here. So I'm in the hospital after yet another bender. I'm alone and sobbing. I was chatting with a few fantastic people here and they thought i should get checked out. Taken out by a stretcher at work. My dad is so upset he doesn't understand its a disease. I could probably go home and try to tough this out but I really want to go to inpatient detox. I don't trust myself not to drink. Has anyone ever done inpatient detogox? Is it weird i want to go even though i may not need it and will probably lose my job if i go when I maybe could try to tough out the next few days? Sorry if my typing is off I'm on my phone and can't see through the tears. Thanks for any help

Meg
Old 09-04-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're struggling but I'm glad you're in a safe place, meg.
Sometimes what seems like the worst things happening can actually be the best

I really hope you can make this in a turning point for yourself
Take care of yourself - and update us as much as you can.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((((Meg))))). If you can do inpatient detox and rehab, I fully support that! That's what did it for me. I needed to be in a safe environment to start getting well. does your work have an EAP? They would be able to set it up for you. My first few days were very teary and I felt so emotionally bad. But everyone was very kind to me. Rehab was a lot of hard work and we were kept busy pretty much every minute with classes and such.

So, if you can, please give yourself this gift. I've never regretted going. I did a 30 day inpatient and then all the aftercare too. The Aftercare is very important!

love from Lenina
Old 09-04-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I did inpatient detox and I'd recommend it....Might not be a bad idea to get into a rehab following that. A controlled environment to defog for 30 days and work on a plan for when you get out. If that is possible for you....Take it.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Meg
So sorry to hear the pain you're in. My suggestion is your safety is first. If that means detox, then so be it. Do you have to make the decision right now? Can you call AA and ask to speak with someone? They may even be able to get someone to visit you in the hospital and talk with you.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Looks like we had the same thought at the same time Lenina...It must be true.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

That is the only thing that got my dad sober... 30 days in rehab where he knew he could be without drinking. You may need that. It sounds like it wouldn't be a bad thing to try! Cheer up. You can do it.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Meg,

See if you cant take a leave of absence from work. If your employer is going to let you go for going into inpatient detox then oh well... you dont need that job... Your life is worth so much more.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all. SR is so amazing. I feel like I know you guys. I swear i feel closer with alcoholics than my own friends/family. Maybe because I don't have anything to hide from you. I would really like to go to detox then rehab. I don't know if I will be supported doing that since i will lose my job and my dad might not help me financially and I'm sure its not cheap right? I'm almost certain I will lose my job because ive only been there since July and was on thin ice for taking sick days and not performing up to my supervisors standards. So i guess worst comes to worst I come out of rehab and I'm homeless jobless and in massive debt?
Old 09-04-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're safe and being taken care of.

I hope you make a choice that works for you, and keep reading and posting here, where you will always find support.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bender2 View Post
I swear i feel closer with alcoholics than my own friends/family.
I know this is true for me.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Also its a contract to perm job and my contract isnt up yet so they can prob get away with firing me easily. I just really want and need to be surrounded by people who understand me and have been through this. I need a hug. I need to be sober. I will be sober!
Old 09-04-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

bender - We're all here for you, and I agree with the others. This is the best time to go for it, before you start having second thoughts. As for your employer, I don't think they can let you go for having a disease. I was told they had to give you chance to get well. You may not care at this point, though.

Proud of you for coming here to discuss this life changing decision. You can be rid of this misery once and for all.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

meg, there's a very good chance they will terminate your contract. However, they might let you go to rehab and come back on a "last chance" agreement. Give the EAP a call or ask your immediate supervisor to contact EAP for you. many times Ive seen management allow the employee to enter and complete rehab before making a decision. it's worth checking out. if you can admit to them you have a problem with alcohol and want help, they will usually help.

Please let us know how it goes. My personal opinion is to go straight to detox from the hospital and then straight to rehab. it shows youre serious about taking care of your alcoholism, which I believe is a treatable disease. I think most doctors do too.

love from Lenina
Old 09-04-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Bender2, if you're in a hospital the doctors there will usually make an assessment as to whether or not you need detox. Most detoxes are actually done in the hospital, kind of odd that they would send you from a hospital to a detox when most hospitals do that kind of thing all the time.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm feeling better after fluids and the librium. Im about to be discharged from this hospital. They have no detox beds for me here. I can take a cab to brooklyn and go to that ER and they have beds. Question. Is it possible they won't let me in? I'm not physically shaking anymore. I want to go I don't want to go home but should I try to be tough and do this on my own and not lose my job?
Old 09-04-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Bender,

can you call your company EAP? They usually have a 24 hour number for assistance. Do you have insurance? ask the hospital if they have Social Services who can help you with placement. sometimes the ER can help with that too. Please let us know. maybe someone here on SR knows how to make it work in NY,

hang on, you have lots of support here! we'll figure something out.

Love from Lenina
Old 09-04-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'd ask the doctors at the hospital you're at now.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Do you have someone there with you to help you with this decision? You aren't in the right state of mind to know what is best for you. Someone in the hospital should be able to get you help with this rather than referring you somewhere there may be no beds either.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bender2 View Post
Hey all.

Meg here. So I'm in the hospital after yet another bender. I'm alone and sobbing. I was chatting with a few fantastic people here and they thought i should get checked out. Taken out by a stretcher at work. My dad is so upset he doesn't understand its a disease. I could probably go home and try to tough this out but I really want to go to inpatient detox. I don't trust myself not to drink. Has anyone ever done inpatient detogox? Is it weird i want to go even though i may not need it and will probably lose my job if i go when I maybe could try to tough out the next few days? Sorry if my typing is off I'm on my phone and can't see through the tears. Thanks for any help

Meg
Meg, I've gone through several inpatient detoxes, rehab and highly recommend it. Alcohol withdrawal is nothing to be taken lightly. It can be fatal. Detox will also be much more comfortable done in a hospital setting with the proper medications, vitamins, nutrition etc. I wish you the best and will be thinking of you. You WILL feel much better after you're through it.