Notices

a new low

Old 08-03-2012, 10:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

thanks for all the feed back guys, I was really worried before but I think I can ween myself off( it's only been a week that I was going really hard) I went to an AA meeting tonight and it made me feel a lot better, there were some really caring people there who restored my faith that people do actually care about others. I drank 3 beers and I'm planning to have another 2 tonight then go to bed and tomorrow night I will cut it down to 3 and just drink 3 every night for maybe a week then two then none, let me know if you think this is an all right solution. Also I really appreciate every ones help so much, it has made my eyes water seeing all the feed back
Old 08-03-2012, 10:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not trying to be a wiseguy, but I think you've already got opinions on what the right solution for you is Julius.

Of course what you do with that info is up to you.

I will say tho, tapering never worked for me.

By your own words you were feeling insane this morning after a week long binge - you're still drinking...

how reasonable do you think it is to expect you're going to be responsible enough to moderate your alcohol intake this week?

D
Old 08-03-2012, 11:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm with Dee on this one. Limiting alcohol is just not a practical expectation for most of us here.

I don't want to dissuade you from making a positive change but I would encourage you to keep a journal of how many drinks you're consuming. That three drink limit could easily become a lot more if you're not being exacting.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Not trying to be a wiseguy, but I think you've already got opinions on what the right solution for you is Julius.

Of course what you do with that info is up to you.

By your own words you were feeling insane this morning after a week long binge - you're still drinking...

how reasonable do you think it is to expect you're going to be responsible enough to moderate your alcohol intake this week?

D
I know it sounds ridiculous, bu I have to now. I called a couple detox centers and the smallest wait line was 4 weeks, I asked if I could go to the hospital and the lady said no they don't do that here, I'm pretty sure I can successfully taper off because I never want to feel like I did again today
Old 08-03-2012, 11:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good luck to you, julius.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Who do you have around you Jules? Family, friends? Anyone who can support you through this. I also don't feel tapering will work, it's still feeding your addiction no matter the quantity.. You will find plenty of support here, keep checking in, make yourself accountable
Old 08-03-2012, 11:54 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Julius -

Try looking up "addiction doctors" (there seem to be some in Barnaby, according to Google). It looks like there are quite a few walk-in clinics, too, but it's always nice to have a doc who understands this stuff.

Good to have you with us!
Old 08-04-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Julius

Instead of making excuses about the wait times for detox and rehab put yourself on the waiting list anyways! All the time you will spend complaining about it could be the time you spend complaining about it until the day that they phone and say "It's finally your turn" if you get sober between now and then great, if not well at least you were proactive and now you can get the help you need. Remember detox is not a miracle Julius you will have to work and suffer to get through your pain, no one can truly stop you except you.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beerbottles View Post
Who do you have around you Jules? Family, friends? Anyone who can support you through this. I also don't feel tapering will work, it's still feeding your addiction no matter the quantity.. You will find plenty of support here, keep checking in, make yourself accountable
no I don't have any family here and all my friends are busy today, my gf is in china for another two weeks but I will try to just drink a 6 pack tonight and hopefully get a good nights sleep
Old 08-04-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

what happened to tapering down to three?

tomorrow night I will cut it down to 3 and just drink 3 every night for maybe a week then two then none,
If you want changes in your life you need to make changes, Julius - there's no short cuts.

D
Old 08-04-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lfh4555 View Post
I tried tapering, too, but it was like torturing myself. With all good intentions, I would tell myself: today I`ll just have one glass of wine and then off to bed. Wasn`t long before I was back to a couple of bottles of the stuff, wake up feeling very shaky and sick, so would do it again....and again...and again.
I fervently hope tapering works for you. With your permission, I do have a contact in Burnaby who is in the medical profession and also understands this disease, and can ask her if there`s anything that she knows about to help a person suffering. Let me know if you want me to ask.

lh
last night I managed to just drink 6 beer and then I got a couple hours sleep, I feel really sleep deprived today but I'm gonna just drink a 6 pack again tonight , and slowly cut it down each night, I know I have the will to do this. I would love to contact someone just to talk about this, if you could do that I would be really grateful. thank you to everyone else for your words of support
Old 08-04-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

what happened to tapering down to three, dude?

D
that is to fast, I can't go from drinking 12 8 % beers every day (which is probably close to 20 normal beers) to just 3, I am going to have to drink a 6 pack before bed for at least a couple days. and just suffer through the day withdrawals until my body adjusts to that, and then I will start the taper. I really don't have a choice guys I called a couple more detoxes today and I had no luck
Old 08-04-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

A good tip I've often heard said around here is to have an end date in mind when you are tapering down Julius. I know that often people (me included) end up 'tapering' for probably longer than necessary...

There is also the option of home detox too if you find the tapering too difficult.

I hope you are feeling okay today x
Old 08-04-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think there's other things you could do - see a Dr, check out a recovery group, investigate the Salvation Army detoxes...

I think you've gone for the option with the least amount of change... which is understandable but not always in our best interests.

but...it's your life J

It's good to remember tho...the idea of tapering is ....to taper.
Otherwise it's just drinking.

I'm not trying to be a wiseguy on this - I've been there, that's all.

Best of luck

D
Old 08-04-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
A good tip I've often heard said around here is to have an end date in mind when you are tapering down Julius. I know that often people (me included) end up 'tapering' for probably longer than necessary...

There is also the option of home detox too if you find the tapering too difficult.

I hope you are feeling okay today x
yeah I know what you mean about tapering for longer then necessary, and then eventually you are feeling a lot better and more in control and go back to drinking larger amounts, I am really confident that I will be able to do this. I wasn't feeling good this morning at all I was pacing around my house and felt anxiety and had the shakes.I just cried for the first time in years and completely drenched my pillow, but for some reason I feel so much better now.It's weird how that works, I guess it is an emotional output. I'm going to a meeting tonight and I am gonna make myself go every night no matter how bad I feel. I will keep you guys updated to, thanks again for all the support
Old 08-04-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I think there's other things you could do - see a Dr, check out a recovery group, investigate the Salvation Army detoxes...

I think you've gone for the option with the least amount of change... which is understandable but not always in our best interests.

but...it's your life J

It's good to remember tho...the idea of tapering is ....to taper.
Otherwise it's just drinking.

I'm not trying to be a wiseguy on this - I've been there, that's all.

Best of luck

D
thanks you for the advice, and I totally understand that I have to actually reduce the amount I drink over time and not just bring it to a point where it is tolerable in my life until I inevitably go over the deep end again. Does anyone know of a website for guidelines to safely tapering?
Old 08-04-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Nothing wrong with a good cry I know that I have found this whole process very emotional, not least because my emotions have been numbed by alcohol for years! I'm sure the meetings will help alot x
Old 08-04-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

I sent you a PM Julius.
It would be against our medical advice rule to post that kind of link on the board.

D
Old 08-04-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
~sb

When you are serious about stopping and staying stopped, you will.

I wish you well,
Old 08-04-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

hey everyone just an update, I've decided to go to detox. it's 9 o'clock at night here and I am going to go to the ER. They said they can help me detox, I am really scared and I don't have any family or friends here in Burnaby because I'm from up north. I don't know what to expect I'm leaving in an hour