Notices

Lost love for cooking

Old 08-02-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Lost,

That's what I was going to suggest to you. Give yourself a reason to create a kick ass dinner. The holidays are a great time for this. If you become focused on turning out a great dinner for guests, you might not find that you don't even think about drinking! Cooking could become more of a serious hobby or more now that you are sober!
Old 08-02-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sorry about the double negative "you might not find that you don't" Also, you could use the dinner to show off decorating skills as well!
Old 08-02-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

You find that spark again since you love it. To me cooking is not only fun but my lively hood. Well was I got out of it last year when I decided to get sober. Sure was scary at first and I did cook at home but nowhere to the extreme either. But most cause I didnt have all the bar and other restaurant employee's over all the time. Its been over a year and might go back, I miss the action, fun, and money.So several months ago I started making pierogi's from home for extra money, and that really got me in the spirit. I just needed to take that time learn some tools to help me stay sober.

Opps sorry I was kinda rambling lol, anyway you''ll find till then do everything else that is new and fun.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Songtx View Post
Right...How many times would we all cook and then not bother eating because it would kill the buzz? I know for myself, my husband and I would slow barbecue a brisket for hours on end, drinking all the while. That was the event and reason to drink. Hell, we would crack a beer at noon to signal the start of the grilling. That would be it, party the rest of the day in the back yard while tending to the grill. By the time the thing was done, we would be pretty wasted and neglected to make any side dishes. We would either pick at it or just put it away for tomorrow and continue drinking. Needless to say, we haven't even cooked a brisket since i have quit drinking. I really don't see the point, hanging outside is excruciatingly boring now.
We also did this for other dinners which took less time to cook. In fact, we blew off eating most nights. Or binge ate junk at the end of a night of drinking. I'm sure this all sounds familiar.
Yep, very familiar. Only my poor husband is a normie and so it was me doing those things.

The thing is, I LOVE brisket. I love food. I want to cook it, sober.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Songtx View Post
...a reason to create a kick ass dinner.
Hmmm, great piece of advice. I don't want to wait for the holidays. So I need a reason. An excuse. An "event".
Old 08-02-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by IndaMiricale View Post
You find that spark again since you love it. To me cooking is not only fun but my lively hood. Well was I got out of it last year when I decided to get sober. Sure was scary at first and I did cook at home but nowhere to the extreme either. But most cause I didnt have all the bar and other restaurant employee's over all the time. Its been over a year and might go back, I miss the action, fun, and money.So several months ago I started making pierogi's from home for extra money, and that really got me in the spirit. I just needed to take that time learn some tools to help me stay sober.

Opps sorry I was kinda rambling lol, anyway you''ll find till then do everything else that is new and fun.
Pierogi's huh? That sounds cool. Maybe I should try something like that, something I've never done before.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone!
Old 08-02-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lost3000 View Post
Hmmm, great piece of advice. I don't want to wait for the holidays. So I need a reason. An excuse. An "event".
Have a party at your house...isn't football season coming up? I used to find anything as an excuse to have a gathering (and drink LOL)!
Old 08-02-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

How about taking a cooking class and learn to make something you never made while drinking? Or learn a new style, a new cuisine, etc? Just make sure the class isn't paired with a wine tasting!
Old 08-02-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I have the the opposite situation to you Lost. When I was drinking I hated cooking, I hated even having to think about food, and if I did cook how nice it was would depend on how much booze was in it.

But cooking has actually been my saving grace getting sober. Especially early on, I'd spend hours in the kitchen cooking (or at least trying to ).

Maybe it's just about having to do different things now your sober. I haven't bought a take out since getting sober, probably cos that was what I always did when I was drinking.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
~sb

Everything went with drinking. Today, everything goes with not drinking. It will come back to you! Now get in that kitchen and go cook up something great so you save $$~!!
Old 08-02-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I love cooking too. I found I'd cut corners and simplify my planned menu, as I got buzzed from the wine. I am more interested in eating than when I was drinking.,,,so for now am focusing on simple, nutritious menus. I know I can tackle more complicated recipes...benefit of being sober. I agree if you spend some time in your kitchen, cleaning and organizing...you'll reconnect. I still enjoy fixing myself a drink in a pretty glass - only these days it's diet tonic with a fresh lime wedge
Old 08-02-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by ald5978 View Post
Have a party at your house...isn't football season coming up? I used to find anything as an excuse to have a gathering (and drink LOL)!
Um, no!! No party, no football. First, I dislike tv football. Second, no freaking way am I having a party! Are you nuts? That would involve not only cooking, but cleaning!! LOL
Old 08-02-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by silly View Post
How about taking a cooking class and learn to make something you never made while drinking? Or learn a new style, a new cuisine, etc? Just make sure the class isn't paired with a wine tasting!
YES! I always thought of myself as a creative cook. Yes, I was creatively cooking while wasted!!
Old 08-02-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
I have the the opposite situation to you Lost. When I was drinking I hated cooking, I hated even having to think about food, and if I did cook how nice it was would depend on how much booze was in it.

But cooking has actually been my saving grace getting sober. Especially early on, I'd spend hours in the kitchen cooking (or at least trying to ).

Maybe it's just about having to do different things now your sober. I haven't bought a take out since getting sober, probably cos that was what I always did when I was drinking.
Wow. WTH. That's nuts that we are on opposite sides. I do think it's b/c of what we were doing when drinking.

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Everything went with drinking. Today, everything goes with not drinking. It will come back to you! Now get in that kitchen and go cook up something great so you save $$~!!
OK, tonight is navajo tacos. I'll post a link for those (probably all of you) who have no idea what it is -- it's a southwestern (USA) thing. I have been cooking them for years and so this will not be complicated at all. Not the healthiest but I don't care at this point.

Originally Posted by Pondlady View Post
I love cooking too. I found I'd cut corners and simplify my planned menu, as I got buzzed from the wine. I am more interested in eating than when I was drinking.,,,so for now am focusing on simple, nutritious menus. I know I can tackle more complicated recipes...benefit of being sober. I agree if you spend some time in your kitchen, cleaning and organizing...you'll reconnect. I still enjoy fixing myself a drink in a pretty glass - only these days it's diet tonic with a fresh lime wedge
A pretty glass, huh??? Interesting...
Old 08-02-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lost3000 View Post
Um, no!! No party, no football. First, I dislike tv football. Second, no freaking way am I having a party! Are you nuts? That would involve not only cooking, but cleaning!! LOL
LOL! Ok ok...I thought maybe I could live vicariously through you and your football party since I don't want to have my own. :rotfxko

Oh and I'm 100% with you on not liking tv football!!!
Old 08-02-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Alright, so this is not gourmet by any means. It is fry bread (same stuff in sopapillas), with ground beef, pinto beans, tomatoes, lettuce, salsa/red chile, cheese.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by ald5978 View Post
lol! Ok ok...i thought maybe i could live vicariously through you and your football party since i don't want to have my own. :rotfxko

oh and i'm 100% with you on not liking tv football!!!
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Congrats Lost on your 7 months,
I can so relate to most of the posts about food. Since developing an interest in raw food it has really rekindled my interest in food again and more importantly health.

caiHong
Old 08-02-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

yum....
Old 08-02-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Lost,

I wouldn't call myself a foodie or a gourmet cook, but I love to eat and am a pretty good cook. Of course, I used to like cooking when I was drinking since it gave me an excuse to drink. A bit of wine to deglaze...a bit of wine for the chef...

I did notice a decrease in my interest in cooking after I quit drinking because I lost that part of it. It seemed that some of the fun was gone. But what fixed it for me is that, well, I really do like my own cooking! I began to get interested in cuisines that aren't heavy on alcoholic ingredients. I got away from Italian and French food and into Indian, Asian and Moroccan cuisine. I found a new kind of creativity and love for cooking and cooked some of my best meals in the first few years after I quit.

I think the key for me was to shift my focus away from the world of "food and wine", which I could no longer really belong to, and turn it toward the world of "cool international cuisines". Sort of like looking at the bright side, I guess.

Might be worth a try. I have a mean Tagine recipe I could share!