Notices

Lost love for cooking

Old 08-02-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

OTT: Let me clarify in that my cooking wasn't the type that always needed wine, it's just that I always drank, no matter what I was cooking! That said, branching out sounds like a good idea. And you are right, many of those types of food rely heavily upon alcohol. Please send me your tagine recipe!
Old 08-02-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

I had a passion for cooking when I was still drinking and using. I drank and used while cooking (and doing anything else for that matter), and most of what I cooked had alcohol in it. When I got sober, my entire existence was turned upside down. I was willing to give up anything and everything for another chance at life.

I was weak, tired and distracted for most of the early months. When I started to learn how to live again, that took precedent. I didn't cook much anymore.

And then a couple of years into sobriety, a dream career fell into my lap, seemingly from nowhere, to become a private chef on a superyacht in the Mediterranean. I just came off another boat recently as the chef for a British noble family and their business associates.

If it's for you, it won't go by you.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

So last night, I cooked my usual enchiladas. I've been making these since I was 10. The dish came out looking great, but instead of crispy edges of corn tortillas, poking out of cheesiness, smothered in sauce, out came a totally disintegrated tortilla and tons of sauce! I don't know what the heck happened. I'm so bummed. I mean, it was basically a casserole of sauce and onions.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by SteppingItUp View Post
I had a passion for cooking when I was still drinking and using. I drank and used while cooking (and doing anything else for that matter), and most of what I cooked had alcohol in it. When I got sober, my entire existence was turned upside down. I was willing to give up anything and everything for another chance at life.

I was weak, tired and distracted for most of the early months. When I started to learn how to live again, that took precedent. I didn't cook much anymore.

And then a couple of years into sobriety, a dream career fell into my lap, seemingly from nowhere, to become a private chef on a superyacht in the Mediterranean. I just came off another boat recently as the chef for a British noble family and their business associates.

If it's for you, it won't go by you.
Now there's a story! What a great job! Good for you.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not with cooking (I cook to eat basically lol) but music...the love came back...not the cravings...

It didn't happen overnight but it did happen

Try not to sweat it too much Lost

D
Old 08-02-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

This may not interest you at all but....have you thought about combining cooking with a volunteer activity. Maybe a soup kitchen or teaching cooking to seniors or scouts or something. Everything I've enjoyed doing, I enjoy teaching more. Kind of resparks my interest to see someone learn something new. Just an idea.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:25 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Stepping: That's a very cool story!

Dee: Goid to hear the love came back for you. I'll try not to sweat it. But I am going to push myself a little.

Jenni: Interesting thought...I will think about it.

All: I cooked the Navajo tacos. Took me forever! But that could've been due to me watching Dog the Bounty Hunter. Food came out great! I'm going to redo the enchiladas this weekend. Do we have a recipe sharing/cooking area on this site?
Old 08-02-2012, 10:32 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Lost, there are tons of events and stuff in August you could cook for! I googled it and there's seriously so much fun stuff... Why, this Sunday alone you've got Friendship Day AND Underwear Day. Sounds like a party to me!
Old 08-03-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by GirlFromCO View Post
Lost, there are tons of events and stuff in August you could cook for! I googled it and there's seriously so much fun stuff... Why, this Sunday alone you've got Friendship Day AND Underwear Day. Sounds like a party to me!
Shut up!!!!!!!! Underwear day?!? Hmmm. Sounds like a plan. In honor of underwear day, I am serving enchiladas, black beans and rice, and a salad. I might even venture out and make pecan pie.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Yum!!
Old 08-03-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Just thought I would share last nights dinner.

Ying Yang Jumbo Scallops U-10's. Pan seared wrapped in bacon set over 2 sauces making the yy symbol. A demi-glaze and buerre blanc. Accompanied with rice pilaf and orzo and roasted aspargus with feta and a aged balsic.

Tonight going simple with some Chicken Pad Thai.

Keep cooking Lost, you'll get all that groove back.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Inda, that sounds fantastic. I've never really been good with Asian cooking. I find some of the ingredients downright impossible to find - even in the asian market. Either the persons I ask don't know English or they don't know what the heck I'm describing. Indian is another ethic food we love - but I don't cook that either.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
~sb

Lost, for what it's worth, there was a period of time in my first year of recovery in which I lost interest in most things. I was non-motivated. Was it depression? I questioned it and I came up with a zillion reasons for it. I was looking for work and went to many interviews, none of which worked out... the dishes started to pile up, the laundry piled up, I still came on here with a smile....

I did start telling some of my network about it over the phone. I concluded that it was my brain still healing.

Shortly after this period of time (I ran out of dishes in sobriety -- same as when I was drinking and didn't care about anything but my drunk), so I had to do them.

I found that by doing those dishes, then cleaning up the kitchen and then the laundry, I was given a new-found desire to accomplish things. Mood followed action.

Maybe it was just me and my recovery, my brain healing where things were just blah, whatever it was, it did change.

I loved to cook while drinking, I still love to cook today. It will return, that love of things, I know mine finally did.

I guess I had to vent a bit, but for me, I had a period of Blah-ness in recovery. Today, it's better than it was, but I still see my laziness more than I'd like....yeah, still recovering, but staying stopped.

Sobriety: Priceless.

Love,
Old 08-03-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Sugarbear: That was an awesome post. Thank you. It made me feel a lot better about a lot of things. I forget that I'm still so new in sobriety. I feel old in sobriety. But intellectually know I am not. It's just that 7 months is a freaking long time to not drink! So I feel accomplished.

But I know I'm still growing, learning. I know that us alkie's tend to be impatient and want things when we want things - NOW! That's why I post here, that's why I go to meetings most days of the week, that's why I continue to press on. Thanks again.