Notices

Well...

Old 06-13-2012, 08:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
I'm just feeling bad that AA, at the stage in life I was at, wasn't something to cure me. Especially when I saw two of the most prominent people in the meetings getting drunks.
AA won't cure you...Nothing will...You get out of AA what you put into it. I haven't had a drink in almost a year...I put a lot into it. You know those two prominent people getting drunk?....Don't hang around with them...Hang around with the ones that haven't had a drink in years....You're chances will be better.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Heathen

Welcome.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Glad you are here!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Wow, I've not even had this amount of support from friends.

I do need to clarify something though. When I said I've been drinking tonight, I had stopped before coming online. And even though it's 5AM where I am now (sensible bedtime), I'm kind of still wide awake and not tempted to drink right now.

Thanks again to everybody who's welcomed me, and especially to gunther84 and Sapling, who've kind of rammed home that I'm not just joining some community -- I'm working to get sober.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:41 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
Thanks again to everybody who's welcomed me, and especially to gunther84 and Sapling, who've kind of rammed home that I'm not just joining some community -- I'm working to get sober.
I like to look at it as both....I know I had to work for mine. Check your private messages. I'm glad you're here RisingStar.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:52 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

chris, i am know for fact that iffne ya read other threads on here and get back to AA, you will see that yer story isnt unique and many many people have been down the same road. we got out from under and you can too.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Welcome! I saw an AA member smashed at a hockey game one night. Who am I to judge or get jaded? He's an alcoholic & so am I. I have found befriending the people that have years of sobriety under there belt are the best friends and teachers. Its like any workplace, class room, online forum, churchgroup or group of friends...some are good for you and some arent. Dont throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Glad youre here!