Notices

Can't stop thinking about Rain in My Heart Documentary

Old 06-11-2012, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't stop thinking about Rain in My Heart Documentary

I watched this yesterday and I can't stop thinking about it. It completely terrified me and it was heartbreaking. The look on the young woman's face during her interviews...her talking about the death of her son...for her to die a few days later...seeing all of them just rotting, in front of your eyes on camera...it was just completely haunting....I will never forget it. Ever.

I don't want to end up like that. I don't want to go to that place.

What we are fighting is the real thing....this is scary.

I just had to say something because my mind is racing.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I understand. The first time I watched it the images just kept going through my mind over and over. Vanda died eventually too - I'm not sure about the young fella. It is a stark reminder of what can happen to us and how our disease can escalate if we let it.

Another UK story is that of Stacey Rhymes who dies when she was just 24 of alcoholic liver failure. The BBC shot some very moving footage of her in her final hours and the sight of her yellow skin and eyes will always haunt me.

We should try to use these people's tragic stories as inspiration to never let our sobriety slip.

x
Old 06-11-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'll have to watch it sometime. I tend to disregard stories like that because I always figure they're so much worse off than me; I'll never end up that way. Then I think about just how far my drinking has progressed within the last couple of years, and I'm not so sure.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is pretty eye opening stuff that's for sure.

Perhaps at one time those folks drank like I have and possibly got worse or clearly no better. The level of addiction and dysfunction always get worse the longer people drink alcoholically , not better. Its progressive as long as its active is what I take away from Rain in my Heart and the end results are very disturbing and painful for the alcoholic and everyone left around them.

Maybe when I relapse , I am like you luling at some level , I convince myself I am not that bad. Truth is , I could be easily and I am never sure when a binge will stop....maybe the next one won't. I am not willing to test that any more.

I know I will leave here at some time and place but I'd prefer to be clean and sober on that day versus the agony of end stage alcoholism.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The things that stuck with me from that documentary was when the doctor said that alcohol is alcohol, it's all processed in the same way (or words to that effect), how little they all seemed to drink, and wondering why they still drank when they were going in and out of hospital. A mixed response really. It made the whole hospital thing a bit more real for me seeing as I'd already been told I needed to stop drinking but still went on for months afterwards
Old 06-11-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It was quite disturbing how they continued to drink despite the doctor's words of warning - this is what I thought when I watched it one year ago and I continued to drink until April this year. I thought 'I'm nowhere near as bad as them!' I didn't drink much less than Vanda.

I think it's a very, very poignant film and I do think about it often x
Old 06-11-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

I watched it recently too. The young fella with the jaundiced face was me 6 or 7 years ago and I am under no illusions that I wouldn't have ended up in hospital like him if I kept drinking.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Yeah, it has a tendency to stay with you. I need to watch it again. The guy with the yellow eyes has haunted me since the first time I saw it. It really is heartbreaking but a stark and brutal picture of where all of us could end up. ALL of us. Thank you for the reminder.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Where are these docs at? On TV or the internet? I am in the US. thanks!
Old 06-11-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Originally Posted by Lily View Post
Where are these docs at? On TV or the internet? I am in the US. thanks!
It's on You Tube. Just search "Rain in my Heart"
Old 06-11-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Lily, you can find this documentary in several parts on YouTube. Just search for "Rain in my Heart."
Old 06-11-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by epskie View Post
It was quite disturbing how they continued to drink despite the doctor's words of warning - this is what I thought when I watched it one year ago and I continued to drink until April this year. I thought 'I'm nowhere near as bad as them!' I didn't drink much less than Vanda.

I think it's a very, very poignant film and I do think about it often x
As much as you would think they wouldn't, most do continue to drink.
A friend of mine is a nurse in an ER and she has told me some of the horror stories of the alcoholics in really bad shape that come in, and the surprising thing is when they are given the "stop drinking and live, or keep drinking and die" ultimatum, she said they almost always choose the latter.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can understand their dysfunction and compulsion; although I wasn't as physically ill as these fellow sufferers mentally I get it...I wanted to die, really and drinking myself to death seemed to be the way to go. The best part of me wanted to live, though and I made the decision to fight. I had a bad nosebleed when I was 25 (drinking a lot) and it scared me to death-blood gushing from my nose, going down my throat...it still didn't compel me to stop until quite a bit later. When I saw that poor young woman who died throwing up buckets of blood I thought of myself when I was her age, how frightened she must have been, how regretful but too late, too late...
I have been sober for seven months now. I've found the right medications for my psychiatric problems. I've never felt happier. I wish us all luck.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Luling View Post
I'll have to watch it sometime. I tend to disregard stories like that because I always figure they're so much worse off than me; I'll never end up that way. Then I think about just how far my drinking has progressed within the last couple of years, and I'm not so sure.
What's really scary is when you think that and then recognize some of yourself in it like I did. It's pretty easy to get "that bad."
Old 06-11-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh jeez, I'm watching it right now. Dreadful.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Zee

Oh lordy, sorry (((Payton))) it wasn't because I mentioned it in another thread was it?
But yes, its big lightning bolt up the backside isn't it! I had to watch it again on a saturday night when there were people outside in their garden 'enjoying themselves' with a bbq and obviously alcohol. I was really low and had nostalga to the days when I could be like that... you know, be able to have fun with other drunk people.
I need stark realitys like this... Im over 9 months now but I was in a bad way last year (if you read my first post on here called 'my story') and I know I can never never get back to that place again x
Old 06-11-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Watching it right now scary and terryfing. They should put these types of shows on the TV to counteract the reality TV shows that pay celebrities tons of money to promote drunkeness.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Oh lordy, sorry (((Payton))) it wasn't because I mentioned it in another thread was it?
But yes, its big lightning bolt up the backside isn't it! I had to watch it again on a saturday night when there were people outside in their garden 'enjoying themselves' with a bbq and obviously alcohol. I was really low and had nostalga to the days when I could be like that... you know, be able to have fun with other drunk people.
I need stark realitys like this... Im over 9 months now but I was in a bad way last year (if you read my first post on here called 'my story') and I know I can never never get back to that place again x
Zee, yes it was, but I'm glad you did. I will never, ever forget it. I needed to see it.

GirlfromCO, I agree. I related a lot to Mark. Long ago in the past I was a lot like that...the drunken melancholy, SI, weeping.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Payton View Post
GirlfromCO, I agree. I related a lot to Mark. Long ago in the past I was a lot like that...the drunken melancholy, SI, weeping.
Not coincidentally, I quit right after I watched that documentary and started reading The Immortal Alcoholic. I saw myself in BOTH, and then I had a seizure one morning (thankfully survived it) and realized, yup, that's me. That was a year ago on Saturday, so it IS possible to get better.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Was Mark the guy guzzling wine and then getting sick? that was pathetic, didn't look at all enjoyable. ehhh