Notices

wondering if I am an alcoholic

Old 06-09-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi. I snuck around and drank too. The reason I quit was because I kept increasing the amounts. I became sick with it. Also guilty and ashamed. It made me feel really bad about myself. It was such a weight off my shoulders when I quit. Nothing to hide. Love to you.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Well it's been almost 3 weeks, which I know isn't much, but I thought I would post an update. I haven't had a drink since 6/9 and have been keeping track of why I am never going to back to drinking like that again.

-better sleep and smoother mornings (no hangovers, no urge to call in sick)
-Sex w/ wife 7 times. (would never have tried to get frisky if drinking)
-Not having to answer "are you tired or have you been drinking?"
-Not having to sneak in alcohol or sneak out empties
-more $ in my pocket. opened a 529 for my son
-no more having to plan outings around how I could get to the liquor store alone
-food seems to taste better but maybe that is my imagination
-not having to worry about smelling like booze. (I never drank at work, and I always shower, but I still worry you can smell it on somebody if they drank a lot)
Old 06-28-2012, 02:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good for you...Keep going forward....It's kind of nice living without that stuff dragging you around. Congrats on your three weeks!!....Keep on keeping on.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Spiritual Learner

Late to this post but just wanted to congrat on making a decision and following thru! keep up the sober life things will get better and it is good that we don't have to hide anything anymore. God Bless!!!
Old 06-28-2012, 04:49 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vaguy View Post
I think you're right about the 90 day test. nothing to lose really. Thank you.
The fact that you posted here tells me that you know you have a problem and are sliding down a slippery slope.
Not many bad things have happened to you "YET" ......

You will have to decide if you are an alcoholic or a problem drinker and your 90 day "test" should point you in the right direction. 1 year sober will tell the tale.

If you are a problem drinker and quit drinking, your life will be better. Problem solved.
If you are an alcoholic and quit drinking, your problem is just beginning. You won't be able to live in your own skin.

21 days and looking good. All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-28-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

My problem is that I have to hide it

There's your answer to your original question. I've been where you are, and a couple of things are likely going to happen if you keep drinking.

The first is that you are going to increase your consumption levels. When I started using vodka with beer because the beer wasn't quick enough, I started down a slippery slope. You've probably heard that alcoholism is progressive, well I can attest to that.

The second thing, is that you will get caught. You are 34 now, you might live to be 74. Do you really think you can drink every night for the next 40 years and not have your wife catch you? That's 15,000 days and you have to pull it off 15,000 out of 15,000 times. And the first time she finds you secretly drinking it will be a problem. The second, third and fourth times it will be even worse because she has learned that she needs to "watch" you because she does not trust you. And you won't be able to stop drinking because you are an alcoholic.

The good news is that you don't have to play this scenario out. The combination of AA and SR helped me to pull out of the tailspin I found myself in.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Hi Vaguy,
Some of the things you are doing are big red flags. It reminds me of stuff I was doing 10 years ago. For me, it got worse.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Great job! A little bit of echoing what everyone else has said. It's up to you to decide whether you have a problem or not. For me, defining myself as an alcoholic is not something I'm quite ready for, and have had so many thoughts....am I? Arent' I? A constant back and forth battle. But at the end of the day....it doesn't matter the definition or term. The fact is, my life is extremely better without alcohol, and I plan to keep it that way. Best of luck! We're all here for support, keep us posted!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi vaguy. Welcome to SR. We don't pounce. We don't label either.
Congrats on 21 days That's not easy.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:11 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Originally Posted by duane1 View Post
Hi Vaguy,
Some of the things you are doing are big red flags. It reminds me of stuff I was doing 10 years ago. For me, it got worse.
Sorry, Vaguy, Should have read the rest of the thread before posting. Great job!