Notices

6 months sober, struggling to improve other areas of life

Old 09-18-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Guy from noon meeting told me to learn the 3rd step prayer and start praying it ofetn..then stop when i start drifting elsewhere...then do over and over and over.

after 30 yrs says he still cant get through it all most times in one shot but says it helps him tremendously..anybody else?
Old 09-18-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

And what about keeping the mind focused when dealing with action steps regarding big decisions? I know its early to expect to be able to think like a non-alcoholic but i still need to make some progress dont i? even if it means grinding forward??
Old 09-18-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Brunsee

I'm not a 12 stepper...my programme was basically be sober be happy - but I found I had to work as hard on the being happy part as the not drinking bit.

I think balance in all areas is important - whether it be work, play, prayer, - we need to learn to listen to ourselves and discern what we need.

If we have trouble distinguishing our own voice it's good to have people we trust to talk things like this through with.

glad you've found us - welcome

D
Old 09-18-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi D - Grateful to make the connection as well. Have been praying the listening to myself to discern what i need will improve ...but my mind keeps getting in the way. I spend way more time focusing on progress to come than progress to date. Maybe i have yet to learn what grace and being grateful truly encompass?

As for balance, its been added to the stewpot ..evidenced by my reaching out to you in addition to my stepwork group. And now gonna re-balance to spend a little quality time watching movie with favorite 8 YO

Thx for the welcome...ttys
Old 09-18-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Wow, I am browsing the site today for the first time in months and this thread has been reactivated. I admit I drank a few days after that 6 month anniversary post.
And I am back to my old habits. I feel like a child, unable to control myself. One taste of alcohol and it is over.. Whenever I meet new people and they ask if I drink, I want to tell them that "I'll drink all night and get ******* wasted like you've never seen before." that is the truth but I cant say that. I'm so tired of worrying about what other people think about my alcoholism. Life sucks and is unfair. Why do people want to bring children into this nasty, polluted, and corrupt world? I am pessimistic. As Americans, we are worse off now than we were 15 years ago.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

First attempt at sobriety in 2011 lasted a few months by white-knuclking on my own. Overwhelmed one day i started again. All was lost and my private attempt at living in reality failed with insanity once again taking over. Kept telling myself i cant say anything to anybody bout my inability to stop after one drink today...not today...will try tomorrow...but not today as i reached now for the morning beer.

2 more years of insanity and isolating turned me into a hermit. Then one day nearly 5 months ago i just told someone. No particular reason i just told a family member i was drinking too much and it led to something. A door, gate whatever analogy fits ...it was this tiny but wonderful taste of freedom. Someone actually was willing to listen to what i was saying and seemed to care. Wow - what a feeling of freedom i immediately felt - so wonderful i tried it a second time and the feeling of freedom was even stronger. Lately ive been pulling back and the same horrible feelings are trying to take over. Today i will remind myself ...and tell one other person...my isolation and pessimism always leads to misery. And i can free myself again of this misery if i choose to take this "perceived gut-wrenching" yet simple action step.

God bless the millions before me who have/are doing this one day at a time. You truly make me believe i can do it too. And my life will get better if i just use the current stinking thinking to create an action 2 minute action