Notices

Day 25 - doing fine but not productive

Old 09-18-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 25 - doing fine but not productive

I was here on June 6 but that attempt to quit didn't last more than a couple of weeks. It took a little more of my shenanigans during the summer to convince me. So I quit again on 8/25/13 and here I am on Day 25. I'm not having any difficulty with it except I can't seem to find the motivation to do anything productive in other areas.

I have repairs to make on my home before winter rains arrive, and some other significant things to complete this month. Instead of doing them, I sleep late, ride the motorcycle to Starbucks, eat lunch somewhere and fritter away my days. Fortunately I'm retired, so there's not a job at stake, but this will become very costly if I don't get my butt in gear..

Is this a symptom of early recovery? Is it low energy or is it just taking all my willpower to stay sober? Maybe I'm just distracting myself from facing the problem? Anyone else experience this? Thanks.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had the same thing for about 2 months. All I wanted to do was read and knit.
I started by making alist of all the stuff that had to get done, then I'd choose one each day. SOmetimes they were really small things, other times I'd get inpired and do alot in a day, but I made sure I did at least one per day.

It got better, I know have more energy that I've had in about 15 years!

Good luck to you, well done on 25 days
Old 09-19-2013, 01:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Another 'ditto'. 24 days here and I can't be bothered to do anything much. I am lacking in energy and motivation, though oddly I am not depressed. I decided to write off the first month completely and just put it aside for 'recovery'. After that - in a week or so's time I will make more of an effort. Quitting is pretty tough stuff after all.

All the best!

As an aside isn't this forum great for exactly this sort of thing? Quitting alone this sort of 'symptom' would be far more of a worry and potentially it could be a trigger. Comparing notes and realising that all sorts of things are par for the course really helps I find.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Advbike, completely normal!!! When alcohol was no longer an option I did stumble around like why can't I get anything done? Let my procrastinating list bring on anxiety. My hubs would leave lists for me to do (yes this is an irritating quality I'm working in with him) and I would be frozen almost like I couldn't get out of my own way.

I think your mind/body may just need a mundane way right now. Process overload. Don't give yourself pressure if you are retired enjoy it!!!!! Get out on your bike while its still great riding weather. Enjoy an overpriced coffee I love Starbucks too! Just take it easy, your drive will come back when your body is ready!

25 days is wonderful I hope you thank yourself for that today
Old 09-19-2013, 01:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Same here. Other than go to meetings I did not do a lot and when I did it felt like I was moving in slow motion. I did not do a whole lot before other than drink but even basic laundry had me feeling tired.

I downloaded two seasons of NYPD Blue from Amazon and basically sat and watched those on my laptop after work and on the weekends.

Now I feel great and I have a ton of energy. Even when I do play couch potato I still get some small things done because I actually want to and it does not take me all day to fold clothes...lol
Old 09-19-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ha, yeah, procrastination is the mother of invention when it comes to doing this and that and nothing of any substance. If it helps to know in the last 3 weeks I've watched every episode of Orange is the New Black, caught up with the new season of Sons of Anarchy (I'm saving Boardwalk Empire for another time) and just kicked about the house getting very little done. Oh, and done a heap of reading on SR to keep myself motivated. S'all good, when the time comes you'll get your chores done. x
Old 09-19-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My house needs a decent cleaning! Going to try to lift the vacuum out of the cupboard...if I can! Wish me luck!

Old 09-19-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow, thanks to all of you for the support and letting me know this is normal! I tend to beat myself up (another reason I drank). Great (and funny) comments! I especially liked seahorse's suggestion to do just one thing, even if it is small. I will try that, as it would definitely make me feel like a little progress is being made.

Oh, by the way, last night I went outside after writing my post and the full moon was coming up over the forest - it was stunning display from mother nature and made me realize I was allowing myself to get all worked up, back in my head again. I was so grateful for the full moon that it calmed me back down. Cheers.