Notices

On day 5 of the bender

Old 05-24-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Drunkandalone - I'm so glad you found us & are working on getting well. Most of us understand what it's like to try and kill our pain by getting numb. It doesn't really give us the relief we're seeking. It's just a temporary fix, masking problems that need to be addressed. It took me many years to realize that, though. I always thought of alcohol as my friend, something to relieve my anxiety. It ends up doing just the opposite.

The last binge I went on resulted in me finding SR. When I came here I was instantly comforted by all the understanding and encouragement I found. I hope you'll feel the same. There is a better life for you - and I'm so happy you reached out for help. Please keep talking to us.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you posted D&A...SR is exactly for folks just like you
I'm glad you've decided to see a Dr and stop too.

I know the pain of a breakup, but the one way to deal with the pain is to deal with it - now - it hurts but you have a lot of support here

Drinking just puts it off...then the fear of having to deal with it makes it grow bigger in our mind, and that keeps us drinking more.

You sound like a good guy - and I know from experience how punishing binges can be on our body and mind.

I'm really glad you've stopped hurting yourself

D
Old 05-24-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Drunkandalone View Post
I think im going to stop drinking tomorrow, I thought about suicide, but the alcohol makes me feel numb enough to stop feeling the hurt my ex put me through.
Drowning your sorrow is an established cliche, but in my experience, it doesn't work.

You feel a little numb for about 30 mins, then the depression comes back a thousand times worse and it is impossible for you to think about anything else.

It makes sense, alcohol inhibits higher brain functions (which is why it numbs your feelings a little), but in doing so, it also suppresses your psyche's natural defenses and ability to focus, effectively leaving you defenseless against your sadness.

I've tried it, and take it from me, don't drink on a broken heart.
All the best.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:25 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hey Drunkandalone

Today is a good new start for you. Hang in there!!

You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Michael
Old 05-25-2012, 05:21 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thinking of you

How are you doing? x
Old 05-25-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Sounds good!

And about your ex: Don't give him the power to make you feel hopeless. There was a time before you knew him, and there will be a time when you think of him with vague nostalgic fondness as a thing of the past.

Everybody with a drink or drug problem has gone through the 101 excuses to indulge. In the end it comes down to ourselves and the decision.

Best wishes to you for a new beginning!
Old 05-25-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

UPDATE:

I went to the doctor today, he gave me a note saying that I was sick. I told him how much I drank and he was very understanding.

I've been drying myself out all day, vomitting, sweating. I just got up from laying on the floor where its cold and dark, now im experiencing high anxiety and debating having one "therapeautic" drink. I know I shouldn't go down that path though. I know I shouldn't.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

drinking wouldn't be therapeutic - it would be counter productive, it would be short sighted, it would be foolhardy and it might be dangerous.

Keep going in the right direction D&A

D
Old 05-25-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

No, you shouldn't. You'll end up right back where you were yesterday. The only way out of this is through it. The good thing is, you never have to go through it again.

Did your doctor give you any advice or meds to help you through the withdrawal process? If not, please have someone there with you in case they need to get you some emergency treatment.

You can do this.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

No the doctor didn't give me any meds. But honestly I feel like the worst of it might be done already, I'm already started to feel a little more elevated and put together.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Yeah...I don't see any point in going back to where you were...One drink will do it....I'm glad you are feeling better...And I'd hope they gave you something to help with detox.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Keep with it drunkandalone! The first few days are the worst; then things start falling back into place. That one drink will only make it harder to stay dry in the long run. Plus the majority of us can't have just one, otherwise we wouldn't be on here, so it's not even worth risking one drink.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

You're doing great on day1. Keep it up buttercup!
Old 05-25-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Yes, keep it up!! You can do this.

I think you should change your username to "SoberAmongFriends"!!
Here, you are not alone!!
Old 05-25-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

im experiencing high anxiety and debating having one "therapeautic" drink.

Don't. It's unlikely you will stop at one drink and you will add another day to your bender.

And then you will just have to go through the same anxiety stuff tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hope the detox is going ok? Can you let us know you are ok? Sending good thoughts and praying you make it through this and never have to do it again. !!!
Old 05-25-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hang in there D & A....this too shall pass. You will get better physically, mentally, and spiritually if you don't pick up another drink. Thinking of not drinking may seem overwhelming, but its not. if this drunk can do it (I have gone on two week benders before), then you can.