Notices

On day 5 of the bender

Old 05-24-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Im going to call today but im not sure he can see me. I am embarassed to call and tell the lady at the front desk that Im coming off a 5 day toot. Goodness.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Don't be embarassed. An alcoholic seeking help is something to be proud of. My doctor was very supportive of me. You'll be surprised as well at how happy people are that your working at bettering yourself and fighting this demon.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Drunkandalone View Post
Im going to call today but im not sure he can see me. I am embarassed to call and tell the lady at the front desk that Im coming off a 5 day toot. Goodness.
I wouldn't worry about being embarrassed...I'd be worrying about your health. What about this friend that's coming over...Can he help you?...Maybe take you to a clinic or something. I just don't think it's a great idea cutting off like that on your own...Especially if you are worried about seisures...Just the anxiety of that alone can cause you problems. You get me?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome drunkandalone -

You're reaching out today, which is a huge first step.... We all know what it's like to get caught in the the vicious cycle, where it seems like all we need is "just one more" to feel better. I agree that getting help to detox is the best thing you can do now and seeing a doctor would at least give you some official paper work to back up your taking time off work (they can probably write up a separate work excuse without referencing the alcohol).

It's hard to deal with the breakup of a relationship, but you're hurting the person who most deserves your love and attention (you). We're here to support you - believe me, you're not alone......:ghug3
Old 05-24-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks artsoul, all of you are giving me valuable advice. I am going to stop drinking and poor the rest of this Franzia Wine in the toilet and call the doctors office right now. I do need official documentation for taking time off work.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good for you Drunkandalone...Take care of yourself.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Be sure and let us know how it goes.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Good for you making the wonderful step.

And good job gang way to be on top of things for the newcomer. :ghug3
Old 05-24-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Just be careful. I know pouring out the wine and beer is a good first step but please call your doctor first. I don't know your history or can really give medical advice but cold turkey is tough on the body. At least talk to the nurse in your doctors office if you cannot get in right away. It was hard when I did it but my doctor was very supportive. Keep posting here. Let us know how you are doing even if it is not good news. The people here have heard it all. All my prayers.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't hurt anyone really during all of this.
You've hurt yourself.

I can feel the pain in your words. You are worth the effort of getting sober.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good for you ... Take care of yourself now.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Please keep reaching out to us. We know what you are experiencing. It's going to get better if you let us help you but stay alone and isolated and it'll get worse. A lot worse.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Quitter

Drunkandalone,
I know it seems bad right now, but it's not worth it. Your ex is not worth hurting yourself over. It's good you are calling a doctor. Drinking a case a day over the past few days is a lot and you might need help detoxing.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Awesome for getting rid of the wine! It's a very empowering experience. I still remember pouring out my vodka. I don't think i'll ever forget. Congrats and congrats for making the first steps towards changing your life. It's so much better on this side of the fence.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I am glad to hear that you got rid of the booze but I'm still worried for your health. Detox can be extremely hard on our bodies. The withdrawal symptoms often drive people back to the bottle for some kind of relief. Medical support is essential - please don't write that off. It embarrasses US, but THEY see it all the time. They know how to help. So please get that support behind you while you detox. It will make things go much, much smoother. Please?
Old 05-24-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
What's stopping you from quitting now? You're posting here so obviously you have some desire to quit. Honestly posting here in the middle of a bender is a bit disrespectful to those on the sober path. How about you quit the pity party now, pour out the last of the drink and get back on the wagon today.
I think lots of people have posted here during a bender displacedgrits. I don't see it as disrespectful, but reaching out.

Glad to have you with us. You have received great advice. Keep posting.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Good for you. Stay in touch with the forum - and call your doctor right away, or even go to a hospital. Don't be embarrassed - I guarantee you won't be the first or last alcoholic they see. ((hugs))
Old 05-24-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I haven't hurt anyone really during all of this, I have been relatively peaceful at my apartment just drinking. The only thing I might've impacted is my job.
Sweetie, you HAVE hurt someone from your drinking -- the most important person you should be worrying about-- yourself. I've read the rest of this thread and am happy to hear you're dumping out the alcohol.

Try not to worry so much about the ex... I know, I know, easier said than done. If you're a reader, check out a book called "It's called a break up because it's broken..." It has some sound advice that is written in a pretty funny way. The best part? It's written by someone who has been in recovery for over 10 years and having the problem with your ex AND the alcohol -- it's pretty insightful for both.

This too shall pass, promise.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
instant

Drunkandalone. welcome and I wish you the best with whatever you choose. Now I am sober- when I look back I can see that when I was drinking regularly my emotions were unstable and I was very sensitive to stress. Now I am sober stress doesn't get to me nearly as much, I am far more resilient.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

If I dump out what I have right now all the pain is going to come rushing back to me and I will really be in an intense state of emotional crisis. The alcohol is the only thing that is keeping me going right now.
Putting it off is just going to prolong the agony.