Notices

On day 5 of the bender

Old 05-24-2012, 09:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On day 5 of the bender

I have called in sick to work this week and am now entering day 5 of my bender. I started drinking on Friday with my ex, who wouldn't take me back. We went to the bar and then I was dropped off at home. Saturday I spent with friends having fun and went to an exciting event - also didnt really drink the majority of the day.

Sunday it spiraled out of hand, drinking at brunch then getting a bottle of wine on the way home -- I called my ex who told me he was going to go on a date with someone else -- then I lost it. I called in sick, went to a neighborhood bar and got black out drunk until last call.

I didn't drive, I walked.

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday I purchased a 24 pack of beer and drank it to completion. Today I just went to the grocery store to buy a Guinness Extra Stout and a Box of Wine. I haven't hurt anyone really during all of this, I have been relatively peaceful at my apartment just drinking. The only thing I might've impacted is my job.

I think im going to stop drinking tomorrow, I thought about suicide, but the alcohol makes me feel numb enough to stop feeling the hurt my ex put me through.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been there. Just about 9 months ago.

You're going to be hurting when you finally put it down. Any plans?
Old 05-24-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, I plan on quitting tomorrow. It's going to be rough. But I have to do it. Then I plan on picking up the pieces next week and thanking my friends for being my strength. I have one of my buddies coming over this afternoon to check on me and get me back in touch with civilization as he put it.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...Maybe it's time to let your ex go...And stop drinking and think about yourself a little. I'd hate to see you lose your job...I lost enough for both of us. Maybe it's time to dump out what you got and get some rest...Or hang out here. Drinking makes nothing better.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

What's stopping you from quitting now? You're posting here so obviously you have some desire to quit. Honestly posting here in the middle of a bender is a bit disrespectful to those on the sober path. How about you quit the pity party now, pour out the last of the drink and get back on the wagon today.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have you ever detoxed before?

It can get kind of hairy. Detox from alcohol can cause seizures that might be life threatening. You should think about getting some medical help. After a 5 day toot you're going to be a little bit fragile.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If I dump out what I have right now all the pain is going to come rushing back to me and I will really be in an intense state of emotional crisis. The alcohol is the only thing that is keeping me going right now.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

And no I've never detoxed before, the seizure thing sounds pretty scary.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Why is tomorrow going to be any better? Tomorrow is a day that never comes. All we have is today.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Drunkandalone View Post
If I dump out what I have right now all the pain is going to come rushing back to me and I will really be in an intense state of emotional crisis. The alcohol is the only thing that is keeping me going right now.
I disagree...You know when you will be in an intense state of emotional crisis?....When you wake up tomorrow and your job tells you not to bother coming back...Your hungover and you have the same problems you have now. Alcohol isn't solving anything for you right now. It's creating more problems.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Detoxing from alcohol can kill you. I've had 2 seizures. You would be wise to call a doctor, even a family physician, and make an appointment. Withdrawl symptoms generally manifest around 24 hours after your last drink (mine were often sooner) and your risk of seizures starts from around then and i believe can last for anywhere from a week to as long as 2 weeks.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Do you have a doctor you can go see?...Tell them you want to quit drinking and how much you have been drinking? Maybe your friend can take you.
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ive been drinking for about 9 years and I've never had a seizure. How does this manifest? What happens to you?
  # 14 (permalink)  

You might think the Guinness is keeping you going but really, where ARE you going?

Alcohol keeps us stuck, not going.

You're in a bad spot and, like I've said, I was in that same spot. See a doc, stop the boozing, drink lots of fluids, eat and sleep.

Then poke your head out and see what the world looks like.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Alcohol delays your problems and makes them worse. You're going to have to deal with them and it's going to suck, big time. But eventually the pain of those problems will fade where if you were still trying to numb them with alcohol, the pain you feel now will never go away.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Drunkandalone View Post
Ive been drinking for about 9 years and I've never had a seizure. How does this manifest? What happens to you?
It manifests when you cut your system off of what you've been feeding it for 9 years...They have meds to get you through this process....Anyway you can see a doctor?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yeah im going to make an appointment for tomorrow. Any advice on how to prevent seizing up or any of that bad stuff would be good. just drink a lot of water?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I drank for 9-10 years before i tried to quit cold turkey. You can't predict a seizure. Mine happened when i was going through normal withdrawls. Not even my worst. I was in bed next to my sleeping musband. Afterwards i stayed awake all night afraid that if i fell asleep he'd wake up to a dead wife. Make an appointment and see a doctor. Detox really is serious business. Plus they'll help point you in the right direction for treatment.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Can you do this?....Can you call and see if you can talk to your doctor...Tell him what you want to do? Is that possible?....Maybe get in today...Or what you should do if you have to wait till tommorow?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Drink a lot of water. Risk of DTs (when seizures can happen) is usually after the first 24 since the last drink. Look up some advice on DTs. I'm not qualified to give medical advice. Staying hydrated is always good for an alcoholic. Watered down Gatorade (get the blue stuff, less irritating to the stomach) is good anand V8 has lots of vitamins if you can stomach it (i love it!). Eat well and rest up.