Notices

what about nonalcoholic wines and beers?

Old 05-14-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Since I'm so new I didn't know and someone had suggested it. As a vegan, I appreciated the comment about veggie burgers because I always wondered why vegans would want to eat food that tastes like hot dogs or hamburgers. Also...that the fake thing can easily slip into the real one--not an issue for a vegan but a real issue for an alcoholic. I just need to find substitutes that I like because at the moment I'm kind of in a beverage vacuum.

Zorah
Old 05-14-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Here are some suggestions:
-coffee
-tea
-water
-lemonade
-iced tea
-smoothies
-fruit juice

I kind of geeked out about beer and whisky when I was drinking, so I found it helpful to geek out about other things, like tea and coffee. I have bought a number of different coffee makers and have enjoyed trying out different beans from different shops.

Same thing with tea. Find a nice tea shop that sells loose leaf tea and get a good gold filter. There are billions of different teas out there. At any given time I have about a dozen different kinds of tea for different moods. Also nothing beats a batch of homemade iced tea, brewed nice and strong with a slice of lemon.

Homemade lemonade is great too. Costco sells a big ass jug of lemon juice for cheap. The only downside is all the sugar, so it's only an occasional treat for me.

I like about two cups of coffee in the morning and then about 6-8 cups of tea throughout the day.

Smoothies are also a lot of fun. I've been working on developing the perfect smoothie recipe for a while now. I love finding the craziest stuff to put in smoothies. Lately I've been adding ground up oatmeal and kale if I happen to have some. I always include lots of frozen berries, which are a little pricey, but a hell of a lot less expensive than what I used to spend on booze.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm a tea geek too

Elderflower cordial with sparkling water is my drink of choice with meals now.

I saw someone eating vegetarian bacon once, that was weird...
Old 05-14-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

What are you trying to accomplish with the NA drink?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanx for the suggestions on alternative drinks. It is insanity, I now see, to even consider N-A drinks since the taste was always the bottom priority for me as for a lot of people on this site. Your comments helped. I would never have even thought of N-A drinks except someone I know recommended it as a "harmless" option.

zorah
Old 05-14-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Well, as everyone else here has said, I dont think it is a good idea. I would drink NA beer and I relapsed after seven years of sobriety. Was one tied to another? I dont know, but I know I would have felt plenty guilty if anyone I knew in the program saw me drinking one because in the back of my head I knew it was not the right thing for this drunk.

The only item I would say is OK would be Mr & Mrs T's Bloody Mary mix...WITHOUT any vodka added, of course. Basically all it is is spicy tomato juice. I like it very much and other than the high sodium, it it pretty good for you. Its what you would call a virgin bloody mary. I never drank a actual bloody mary when I was out there, so this stuff does not remind me of my drinking days in any way. With that said, if BM's were your drink of choice, it may be wist to avoid this stuff as well.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I wouldn't even consider it.. doesn't make any sense to me, personally.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

When I am at the lake there is a place that serves a "pain in the #ss". Its a frozen rum runner/pina colada and I always got the extra rum shooter. A few of these always messed me up and they were a staple on my vaca. This summer I first thought I would get a virgin one, and then decided NO WAY! It would mentally be too close to the same thing and would be a very very very bad idea I think. It's iced tea at the lake this summer. (lot less calories as well!)
Old 05-14-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

"Lead us not into temptation ........"

Wishing everyone the best.

Bob R
Old 05-14-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
"Lead us not into temptation ........"

Wishing everyone the best.

Bob R
A very fitting quote for this discussion. A+++!