Notices

One month tonight....

Old 04-21-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One month tonight....

One month ago tonight I was scared for my life. I was going through possibly the worst withdrawal I ever went through after a 6 day binge. I was an emotional wreck, weak from lack of food and too much alcohol, shaking like a leaf and sweating like crazy. I was scared to go to bed because I know my dreams were going to be scary and also because I feared dying in my sleep... I felt so ashamed of all the things I did... I felt lonely and forsaken. I was disappointed and angry at myself for allowing alcohol to get the better of me (I still feel that way)...

THAT WAS ONE MONTH AGO!!!

The world is soooo different tonight... I feel cheerful, contented, hopeful, motivated, physically stronger, mentally and emotionally stable, focussed, and productive... I am loving me again... And my good looks is slowly reappearing. :rotfxko

After just one month. Now I am thinking how will I feel after 6 months, or even 6 years..... I am not an active alcoholic anymore, I am not a dormant alcoholic anymore, I AM A RETIRED ALCOHOLIC!!! I've seen what happens to people who come out of retirement. Most of them FAIL!!!

Thank you guys for all the wise words of encouragement of and advice. It is sooooo much easer to talk to practical strangers. Especially when they UNDERSTAND what you are experiencing... SR is playing a major role in my recovery, and by extension, my life... For this I am eternally grateful... I know I do not post enough on other's threads. I feel as I am not really qualified to advise people, thus not wanting to say the wrong thing... This will change with time. And I am looking forward to being a "big brother" on this site and even in whatever community I may end up in..

This is my little two cents for the night... Wish you all the best!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is so awesome! I remember that night. I was so worried about you. I'm so proud of you! Congrats! It feels fabulous to be off the merry go round doesn't it?
None of us are really qualified to offer advice but we can offer hope & encouragement.
Sometimes that's all you need
Old 04-21-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Fantastic ovrock congratulations.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purplecatlover View Post
That is so awesome! I remember that night. I was so worried about you. I'm so proud of you! Congrats! It feels fabulous to be off the merry go round doesn't it?
None of us are really qualified to offer advice but we can offer hope & encouragement.
Sometimes that's all you need
Funny thing is, it is getting easier. But I am aware of how deceptive the substance is. So my guard will not be down.

My self-diagnosed OCD sometimes get in the way of me just keeping it simple. I tend to feel that if I am not squeaky clean, I have no business commenting on other people's issues. That;s not good, coz I have been drinking for 18years. That's alot of experience to share... I'll try my best...
Old 04-21-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Originally Posted by ovrock View Post
I AM A RETIRED ALCOHOLIC!!!
Awesome. Very happy for you!

"I am retired" is one my favorite responses to a drink offer.
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on one month sober!! Keep on keepin' on.
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well we may not have addiction therapy degrees but we have all been addicted & can share our experiences of what worked for us & not.
I'm glad you are in a much better place.
Once you get space between you & alcohol, things become a whole lot clearer.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

So glad for you!

Old 04-21-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That is awesome ovrock! Congratulations! A very inspiring post to read on my day 5 (going on day 6) on a Saturday night no less!
Thank you for this! I needed it!
Old 04-21-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations! That is so great! I have one month today, too! Keep up the great work, your post made my day!
Old 04-21-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bayliss View Post
That is awesome ovrock! Congratulations! A very inspiring post to read on my day 5 (going on day 6) on a Saturday night no less!
Thank you for this! I needed it!
All I can add is, I really prefer to feel how I am feeling now. Good luck to you...
Old 04-21-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eliasson View Post
Congratulations! That is so great! I have one month today, too! Keep up the great work, your post made my day!
Congrats to you too... How do you feel?
Old 04-21-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

OVROCK!!!!

Not qualified to comment? You've got a PHD in experience my friend

Soooooo nice to read this. Like Purplecatlover, I was worried for you too. It's a horrible place to be, but you climbed out of it.

Awesome post!!

Big hugs
Old 04-21-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Very inspiring
Old 04-21-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
yay ovrock! Isn't it awesome to feel like this?! Hard to describe to people who have either never battled addiction or who are in active addiction. Those of us who have fought our way to the other side get it though. So happy for you!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I re-read your post from a month ago and the difference is like night and day, and so inspirational. You are living proof that no matter how far down a person might fall into this abyss called alcoholism, there is ALWAYS hope for them to be saved. You're making it! What an inspiration - thank you!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations on 1 Month!

I remember your first post on November 29, 2011. You are an amazing person! I am so happy for you. Keep moving forward! (I love that -- "Retired Alcoholic")

Love & hugs,
Old 04-21-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Congrats ovrock! If you're an AAer get that red coin. It's red because we sweat blood for that first month to get it. Mine is in my back pocket every day. It's a constant reminder that i have done it, i can do it and I AM WORTH IT!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go Ov

D
Old 04-21-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ovrock-thank you for asking! My emotions are all over the place (as evidenced by my posts) but today is a good day. This is not easy, but is definitely the most important thing we will ever do. I'm proud of us!