Notices

Hi Everyone

Old 04-21-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone

Hi everyone,

Have come to this site a few times over the last few months, decided to step it up and join and actually try to work on my issues.

Background: I am 25, I have drank everyday for the last 3 years, most days before that since I turned 21. When I try to keep an eye on myself I drink about 6 a day, when I slip up or didn't care it was 10-12 a day.

I am about to graduate college (in a few weeks) and start a new job and new life, and I want to get rid of this dependence that I have before I do, or at least while I do

I try to cut back, a lot, forcing myself to have 3 or less a day and I find that I am having some anxiety issues, mostly when it comes to sleeping which seems to be a common issue. It freaks me out because my leg will twitch or jolt hard and then I get all paranoid about seizures, which probably makes the whole thing worse.

I currently work at a restaurant and anyone who has ever worked in a place like this knows how freely the booze flows while there, it right now is probably the hardest place to not drink due to it being everywhere and everyone drinking. However I am leaving that job soon so that temptation will go away.

Basically I am concerned about my health in the long term, I see myself drinking up to 12 a day (on bad weeks, avg is more like 6-8) and justify it because everyone I work with has that much or more. I know that the amounts I am drinking are unhealthy, and from looking around it looks like I should be ok health wise if I stop, I hope that that is the case.

I find that if I distract myself I can not drink, but as soon as I get bored or there is something to do with friends that involves alcohol I am all over it. I also went through a month or so of actually starting to hide my booze from my fiance because she was starting to get on my case about it, thats when I knew I need to knock this **** off.

Anyways any tips on early stages of quitting would be appreciated, I will continue to read as much as I can

Old 04-21-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hiya, I only joined yesterday so probably not the right person to give any advice because I need it myself. I do identify with the things you are saying. Definitely sounds like you are making the right descision to quit. It sounds like you have a lot going for you.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks! we will have to get through this together then
Old 04-21-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome wanttostop252. It's great that you're doing something about this now, I carried on drinking after leaving college and it do me any favours...and you're right that your health will deteriorate if you carry on. Tips for the early stages of quitting....Lots of chocolate and SR
Old 04-21-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wanttostop - Congratulations on your upcoming graduation. What a perfect time to take a cold, hard look at your drinking habits. Wish I had in my 20's - my life would've turned out entirely different.

We're so glad you're here with us - keep talking and sharing how you're doing. We care.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Welcome wanttostop252. It's great that you're doing something about this now, I carried on drinking after leaving college and it do me any favours...and you're right that your health will deteriorate if you carry on. Tips for the early stages of quitting....Lots of chocolate and SR
I hate sugar tho

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Wanttostop - Congratulations on your upcoming graduation. What a perfect time to take a cold, hard look at your drinking habits. Wish I had in my 20's - my life would've turned out entirely different.

We're so glad you're here with us - keep talking and sharing how you're doing. We care.
Thanks I want to quit for myself (always tired, want that to stop, also dont want to ruin my health.) and for my fiance who hates me drinking so much.

I think the hardest part is going to be sleep, I usually cant sleep without a few in me guess I am gonna have to get over that though...
Old 04-21-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wanttostop252 View Post
I think the hardest part is going to be sleep, I usually cant sleep without a few in me guess I am gonna have to get over that though...
I used to say that, in fact it was my excuse for continuing to drink for many years...When I quit I have never been so tired in my whole life! Apart from the first week when I had disturbed sleep because of withdrawals (night sweats), I have slept better than ever, and I get tired naturally...This isn't a guarantee that the same will happen to you but I believe it's common x
Old 04-21-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
I used to say that, in fact it was my excuse for continuing to drink for many years...When I quit I have never been so tired in my whole life! Apart from the first week when I had disturbed sleep because of withdrawals (night sweats), I have slept better than ever, and I get tired naturally...This isn't a guarantee that the same will happen to you but I believe it's common x
Ya that is a large part of my excuse, that and just plain being surrounded by it, all my friends and co workers drink as much or more than I do.... When I looked around I would think "well I can't be that bad then, everyone else is having the same, most of them more" I have to get those thoughts out of my head as well Should help because a change in environment is coming soon with the move and having a real job where drinking on the job is not the norm like it is with serving lol
Old 04-21-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Alcohol isn't helping your sleeping, it's really hurting it. It interferes with REM sleep and with SWS (slow wave sleep) which basically means all of one's sleep is disrupted. You are pairing alcohol with sleeping, which is more or less a habit, not a sleep aid. It will take time for your sleeping to return to normal, but first the booze has to go.

Once you are sober, you may even find that those other people really aren't drinking as much as you thought.

Best wishes,
Old 04-21-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi wanttostop252

Welcome!

I know what it's like to be surrounded by heavy drinkers and I know what it's like for alcohol to be the go to thing when there's nothing else to do...believe me it gets worse & worse - and you're wise to look at it now.

I think supports very important - you'll find a lot of that here...are you thinking real life support too?

I think seeing a dr can be useful too - especially if you have concerns or anxiety over withdrawal

good to have you with us
D
Old 04-21-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
So it goes

Hi wanttostop. In the early stages for me, it was trips to AA, and spending time here on SR when I was at home (or at work , on my phone) just hanging in there. Eventually it got easier.
You need to remind yourself of why you dont want to drink, if you know you are going to hit triggers like at work, or when you are bored, have a plan. Everybody has a different trigger, and some may seem silly to admit to, but I know what tempts me to drink, and I either avoid the situation, or have a strategy to get around it

I have found SR a tremendous help, keep posting and reading and you will find the answer that suits you
Old 04-21-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Welcome wanttostop. Find something to occupy to mind when you would typically find yourself drinking. Also, find sober people to associate with. A few AA meetings wouldn't hurt. Don't worry if you're the youngest one there. Those oldtimers have some great stories and a lot of wisdome to share. It helps me to hear their stories. Reminds me of why i want to quit drinking. They share to keep sober and i listen to keep sober. Work on cutting to booze out entierly. If you're anything like the average alcoholic , you may be able to moderate for a while but eventually the drink takes a hold of you again and you're right back down the rabbit hole. Keep reading and posting. There's always someone here and this is a wonderful place for help and advice.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi wanttostop252

Welcome!

I know what it's like to be surrounded by heavy drinkers and I know what it's like for alcohol to be the go to thing when there's nothing else to do...believe me it gets worse & worse - and you're wise to look at it now.

I think supports very important - you'll find a lot of that here...are you thinking real life support too?

I think seeing a dr can be useful too - especially if you have concerns or anxiety over withdrawal

good to have you with us
D
My fiance lives with me and she will be able to help me out, I am going to wait a little bit to tell her about this decision because I have said I was going to get it under control a few times before and have failed so this time I want to wait a bit at least until I can make sure I can keep my word this time
Old 04-21-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey wanttotop.

I can familiarise with your situation. I drank through University, as I was training on placements all of the time I found myself on my own and llike you I have had a drink daily for about eight years. I am now twenty eight.

I could not suggest how to stop as I have only joined this site today with the intention to do so myself. What I would say is that clearly you are not the only one in your situation. I to, thought that after graduating it would be a 'new life', but it did not happen. I even messed up a dream job abroad with alcohol.

Perhaps my point is, from how I feel and my experience of messing up is that there are no stages as such, for example 'oh i'll give up when I graduate' ' new life'. It must stop right here in this moment right now.

now, I =have not accomplished that myself but I'm trying as of today. Hope you can join me and share our experience of sobriety.

best wishes
Old 04-21-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!

I found that sobriety was easier when I made the changes in my life that were necessary to keep me sober. I hope you find out what needs to change in your life and have the courage to make those changes. We are here to support you!

Best wishes,
Old 04-22-2012, 01:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to you too JimJim

Originally Posted by JimJim View Post
I to, thought that after graduating it would be a 'new life', but it did not happen.
It's funny how this happens isn't it...I'm 30 and newly sober. When I was at college I thought that it was great, I could drink every day, sometimes all day and it would be perfectly acceptable. When I left I don't think I really questioned it, I just kept on drinking, and gradually I noticed that no one else was so I started to hide it more. A few years ago I was on the phone to an old college friend and he was going on about how much we used to drink in those days...I didn't know what to say because I was still drinking the same amount!

I think mid to late 20's/ early 30's is a good time for a new life too
Old 04-22-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome! I just joined recently myself, on my 8th day sober now. I think joining was was finally made it real to me, and I've committed myself this time.

I think it may be helpful for you to see a dr if you can. If you've been drinking daily you could have a rough time with withdrawal ahead. Do you have a plan in place to help you? Maybe try AA or one of the other programs? I think it can make a world of difference in staying stober if you have a support group available.

You're at a wonderful time in your life to quit, with college graduation, great new job and all. If you quit now, you could have many happy, sober, and healthy years ahead. I wish you the best! Stay strong, and remember we're all here for you!
Old 04-22-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wanttostop252 View Post
Ya that is a large part of my excuse, that and just plain being surrounded by it, all my friends and co workers drink as much or more than I do.... When I looked around I would think "well I can't be that bad then, everyone else is having the same, most of them more" I have to get those thoughts out of my head as well Should help because a change in environment is coming soon with the move and having a real job where drinking on the job is not the norm like it is with serving lol
hello wanttostop.... well done on being here and wanting to stop!

I'm only 4 and half weeks sober, in some ways I feel much, much, better already. I think getting a support network really helps (I have this and another board, and go to AA, but you just need to work out what will help you... but I'd really recommend some sort of support group).

Re. seeing friends and co-workers drinking the same or more... I used to think that. Most of them stopped drinking or took their drinking home when they hit their 30s and had kids (I worked in an industry where it was very acceptable to drink a lot, and the city I am in too it happens). But I didn't stop in my 30s. I also realised (now I'm sober) that most of my friends don't drink normally. I was at a pub doing a quiz the other day with someone drinking red wine (I wouldn't recommend that in the early days!). I was fascinated at how slowly she drunk the wine. In my head it was like "wow, that's what normal drinkers do".

I just don't know enough of them. You'll probably find the same. I just need to make more sober friends.