Notices

Told husband everything ths morning

Old 04-07-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Told husband everything ths morning

He wondered why I was awake and dressed so early on a saturday and I told him I was going to a AA meeting. I just plainly said "I need help". Keep in mind he's the one who has always thought I was fine. Anyway- told him I was getting stoned all day, just finished my vicodins a few days ago ect. Told him I was drinking and taking pills and then smoking pot on top of that. I told him I didn't want to die before the Bat Mitzvah. Kind of a joke, kinda not- who knows what those chemicals will do- even in small doses- in my body. I also told him I had been looking for contacts at work to buy from. I wait tables at night. I am heading down a very bad path and want to stop. I want to be healthy. My face is so broken out and I'm getting fatter by the day. I need these ladies in my meetings. I think it's the only way out.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Good for you, aeo. There's freedom in being honest, and this will also make you more accountable. Keeping our addiction a secret often gives us permission to continue because other people think we're okay when we know we're not. Getting things aired out and having those closest to you know that you have a problem brings the monster out of the closet where it can be better dealt with.

I'm glad you're enjoying AA. Those ladies will be a big help to you if you let them. We're here if you need us too. I hope you find yourself much happier, healthier and sober for your daughter's Bat Mitzvah.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you Aeo1313 for taking that first step. You can do it girlie!! You always got us here for support
Old 04-07-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm happy to hear that aeo...Have a great meeting.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations....but you didn't tell us his reaction? I was interested because my wife has told me for years that I was OK because I hid my bad times from her exceptionally well. Even when I have quit in the past, she has always said "Oh, you can have a glass of wine on day." It is not her fault, it is my fault that I became so good at deceiving. I think I did an exceptionally good job with it because I didn't think of my deceptions as intentional at all, so they were probably more believable (I know they were). I even had myself fooled. Your post the other day about going to the bar after an AA meeting and telling your husband and friends and that sinking feeling you had the next morning really resonated with me. I wish you the best and you will be giving your daughter and yourself the best bat mitzvah gift ever by allowing yourself the gift of sobriety and the path to recovery. Yay for you!
Old 04-07-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hear a great amount of responsibility and personal accountability in what you wrote. How cool.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by langkah View Post
I hear a great amount of responsibility and personal accountability in what you wrote. How cool.
Me too. That is huge. It is so hard to admit we are also a common denominator and complicit in our problems, and not just the drink...
Old 04-07-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Proud of you, aeo. Keep up the accountability- you're doing great.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

aeo, you just warmed my heart! So honest. I do urge you to consider taking a lovely walk every day. Get up an hour early and stroll for a while, or when you get home from work. It will help you clear up your inner beauty and you will shine at that Bat Mitzvah!
Prayers, love & hugs.
Shalom,
Old 04-07-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by Leemzer View Post
Congratulations....but you didn't tell us his reaction? I was interested because my wife has told me for years that I was OK because I hid my bad times from her exceptionally well. Even when I have quit in the past, she has always said "Oh, you can have a glass of wine on day." It is not her fault, it is my fault that I became so good at deceiving. I think I did an exceptionally good job with it because I didn't think of my deceptions as intentional at all, so they were probably more believable (I know they were). I even had myself fooled. Your post the other day about going to the bar after an AA meeting and telling your husband and friends and that sinking feeling you had the next morning really resonated with me. I wish you the best and you will be giving your daughter and yourself the best bat mitzvah gift ever by allowing yourself the gift of sobriety and the path to recovery. Yay for you!
He didn't say a whole lot, but I also didn't let him bc he tends to minimize my problem and shrug it off. I knew if I spent too much time giving him time to talk I would in the end talk myself out of quitting. This time I don't care if he thinks I have a problem. I know I do. I think in the long run when he sees me happier maybe he will realize something was wrong all along. If not, I love him, he loves me, and whatever.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

WELL DONE Aeo!

Getting honest with family is scary......awesome that you had the courage to do it so soon! It's a heck of a relief to not have to hide anymore isn't it? Nice to not have to sneak to meetings to get well isn't it?

In my addiction I lied about everything. All that lying was killing me. One thing I've really worked hard on in recovery is to be honest.....even when I'm reeeeeeally afraid to and SURE it's gonna blow up on me. Yanno......it hasn't blown up in my face ONCE! Not one time.

I told my family, my boss (in my industry DUI's are a reportable offense and though I was suuuure I should keep it quiet and just break the rule......I got honest about it), my friends and my co-workers. It's been NOTHING but beneficial.

Enjoy your meeting. Sat AM/noon meetings are usually darn good.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aeo1313 View Post
He didn't say a whole lot, but I also didn't let him bc he tends to minimize my problem and shrug it off. I knew if I spent too much time giving him time to talk I would in the end talk myself out of quitting. This time I don't care if he thinks I have a problem. I know I do. I think in the long run when he sees me happier maybe he will realize something was wrong all along. If not, I love him, he loves me, and whatever.
To realize that YOU matter right now in exception of everything else right now is a HUGE step, and one smartly taken. Good for you! He WILL see a difference, I guarantee it...he's just not seen the other you...
Old 04-07-2012, 09:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

This meeting was different for me. I stayed and talked with some ladies after. The topic was god/prayer/higher power. I am confused by praying. I don't do it and instead of being confused I asked questions. And got answers. Was refered to an AA daily meditation book. I can get into meditation.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The meeting I went to this morning the topic was....Prayer.....Made for a good meeting. Prayer is something you can start very simple....And practice it....I like meditation too...I'm practicing that as well.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

My sponsor helped me learn how to pray.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
So it goes

Proud of you aeo honesty is always best in the long run
Old 04-07-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am glad you asked questions instead of buttoning up. For me prayer is hardly ever done by anything other then writing in my personal journal,. I love doing it this way it puts me in touch with that part of god that is at the center of my heart. For me god is connected to my inner most part. I love it. Best of luck!
Old 04-07-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
My sponsor helped me learn how to pray.
Thanks, Sugarbear

My sponsor reminded me that God would do for me what I could not do for myself.. and I probably should be looking after my own affairs as best I could.
If I did my part well, God would do his part.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-07-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Aeo, I'm so happy to hear this You've taken a huge step and I know it will pay off for you.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Wow - so proud of you aeo! It's not easy to lay it all out there, but what's so great is when we finally decide that's it, we're not going to take it anymore, we deserve better!

I also think it's cool that you're exploring the idea of meditation/prayer. I wouldn't worry too much about being confused.... just being open and allowing ourselves to question things is a great way to start. For me, meditation is just learning to let go of all the stuff that normally defines me and consumes my day and being present in the moment...... just letting myself "be" instead of "think" and "do." You'll know you have it when you start finding a little space in between your thoughts because that's when it's very peaceful.

Give yourself lots of TLC and the permission to be all about you right now - you can do it!:ghug3