Notices

Why?

Old 04-01-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eliasson View Post
I haven't heard of "1,2,3 out the door" but I'm assuming that means people who only get thru those steps and not into the meat of the steps keep slipping? Like me?
I have people in my homegroup that have been doing that dance for years...And they just keep coming back and doing it again....Do what you have to do...New sponsor...Whatever...The directions are in the book...Find someone to take you through the steps...Fearless and thorough from the very start....Not seven months later.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

And it's not like they even ask you Eliasson...They beg you....
Old 04-01-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Maybe open a post in the 12step forum to get more detailed input from many.

Some of the usual stuff that's on this thread might be good to review and answer for yourself from your own experience to this point:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...powerless.html
Old 04-01-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
~sb

NO, don't do those steps alone. My experience is that I need a sponsor's guidance!
Old 04-01-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I had to get to that point of can't live with it and can't live without it. Drink and die or quit and live. I couldn't imagine life without a drink either. I've been there.

The first 3-6 months you will ride a roller coaster of emotions. At 10 days your body and mind are still craving. It will get better. You are in the right place and asking the right questions. Hang in there.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you so much! The sponsor I've had has lots of sobriety but not much time. I've been praying hard and really think I need a new sponsor. Someone who has time for me and will get me into the steps. Someone like that has offered. She has 4 years sober as opposed to my current sponsors 20, but she has the willingness and the time. I just hate hurting my original sponsors feelings. What do u think?
Old 04-01-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Enjoy your new sponsor...
Old 04-01-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

"Q&A on Sponsorship"

I happen to have this AA pamphlet right here. It says;

"We are always free to select another sponsor with whom we feel more comfortable, particularly if we believe this member will be more helpful to our growth in AA."
Old 04-01-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Why is this sooo hard for me to get? I've been journaling about all the consequences of my drinking, it's horrifying, not just what happened to me when I drank, and there's a long list of those things, but more the hopelessness, depression, demoralization, fear and shame. It is so obvious looking at it on paper that I'm an alcoholic! So why am I struggling with this so much? I'm on Day 10 (this time) and can't imagine living THE REST OF MY LIFE without drinking alcohol! It was my best friend. I can't function with it, yet I can't function without it, either. Where is all that acceptance, peace and serenity I hear about all the time? Does life really get better? Because I'm 46 and may have a little time left here on earth, I'm just not interested in spending the rest of my years feeling this fear and hopelessness, gritting my teeth through this and hanging on by my fingernails. I'm scared! Why am I not "getting" this? I so want joy and happiness in my life. I'd settle for just being content. Would love to hear how y'all made that transition and finally "got it". Any advice or suggestions are so needed. And yes, I have a sponsor, work the steps, and attend meetings!

?
Old 04-01-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

boil it down to the basics and just do it one day at a time you can do it
Old 04-01-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm on Step 3, tho I'm really ready to get thru the steps with my sponsor, I didn't get past step 2 when I was sober for 7 months and wonder if that might not be part of the problem? I was writing it all down because I forget so easily, and I wanted to have something to remind me of all the pain alcohol caused me that I could read the next time I decide that having a drink is a great idea. I see now that in itself may not have been such a great idea.
Well, I think of it this way.

If I was upset enough, restless, irritable or discontent enough, unhappy enough in sobriety to commit the most insane act which would be to pick up a drink sober...again...

I would think...a re-read of all the horrible things in my life, might just send me over the edge.

I am not sure that would be the most helpful thing to read at that point, and that it would be what saved you from drinking.

I think we condemn ourselves with lists like that....which makes for more drinking.

How can re-feeling all that stuff be helpful.

For me, stirring all that up is not helpful.

Maybe it works for others...just not me.

I say, look forward.

Leave the past in the past.

You want to write? Do a 4th step.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thank you so much! The sponsor I've had has lots of sobriety but not much time. I've been praying hard and really think I need a new sponsor. Someone who has time for me and will get me into the steps. Someone like that has offered. She has 4 years sober as opposed to my current sponsors 20, but she has the willingness and the time. I just hate hurting my original sponsors feelings. What do u think?
I have more than one sober woman in my life that I can turn to for guidance and direction.

Learn from and work with both women....and remember...our real reliance is on God. Ask Him what His will for you in this situation is.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Congrats on your efforts. You're on the right path. Alcohol has it's benefits and drawbacks. Sometimes we think about only the good and not the bad. Wish you the best.