Notices

Is there any point to St. Patrick's day?

Old 03-16-2012, 05:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
JEANS

Originally Posted by Jeans View Post
I think it's nice to celebrate anything no matter what the day is but I think there should be better ways of celebrating than going to the pub.

I wish there was a fun fair for SP's day near me, Irish music and walters
Let me rephrase, not lots of walters but waltzers hehe
Old 03-16-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Interesting thread. Everybody has their own views on this including myself.
Wherever and whatever you are doing. 'Happy St. Patricks Day'
Old 03-16-2012, 05:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Lol, hard to beat cabbage and Bacon (gammon) and a heap of spuds
Old 03-16-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Happily, this is my first sober St. Patrick's day in years. Sadly, my traditional recipe for corned beef and cabbage calls for day-long simmering in two pints of Guinness. Mos' def' one of my DOCs. Need to scour the web for a work-around...
Old 03-16-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

There was a point in going to St. Patty Day's
parade last year. In wanting to relive past
memories of fun with family, kids, music,
beads....the whole air of celebrating another
holiday.

Last yr. my husband and I went not realizing
it would lead to something extremely important.

Back Surgery.

We just never know what may happen in our
lives until we reflect back back on the situation
and what transpired before during and after it.

With months of leg and back pain coming
and going, it was apparent that while we
stood waiting for the parade to begin, the
pain my husband was experiencing began
to worsen. It was then we thought maybe it
wasnt a good idea to go to the parade.

By the time it was over, my husband could
barely walk due to the excrusiating pain traveling
thru out his back and leg.

It was then a decision was made to follow up
on options to rid his back from pain and come
October he underwent back surgery and is pain
free today as we prepare for our upcoming
Sturgis trip in August.

Things in life happen for a reason as we often
find out.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

There was a point in going to St. Patty Day's
parade last year. In wanting to relive past
memories of fun with family, kids, music,
beads....the whole air of celebrating another
holiday.

Last yr. my husband and I went not realizing
it would lead to something extremely important.

Back Surgery.

We just never know what may happen in our
lives until we reflect back back on the situation
and what transpired before during and after it.

With months of leg and back pain coming
and going, it was apparent that while we
stood waiting for the parade to begin, the
pain my husband was experiencing began
to worsen. It was then we thought maybe it
wasnt a good idea to go to the parade.

By the time it was over, my husband could
barely walk due to the excrusiating pain traveling
thru out his back and leg.

It was then a decision was made to follow up
on options to rid his back from pain and come
October he underwent back surgery and is pain
free today as we prepare for our upcoming
Sturgis trip in August.

Things in life happen for a reason as we often
find out.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Smile

Last edited by aasharon90; 03-16-2012 at 05:31 AM. Reason: double post
Old 03-16-2012, 05:36 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome soberinnepa

Rick Stein does a nice simple dish like my Gran used make - no Guinness in sight
Irish Corned Beef with Cabbage Recipe : Rick Stein Recipes | LifeStyle FOOD

D
Old 03-16-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm goin fishing with my dogs.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I'm Italian so I don't feel the need to celebrate St. Patrick's Day.

However, I spend a considerable part of my growing up years in Chicago, where it is a BIG deal. Those were fun times but the drinking part really does tend to get in the way. Green beer? I could never drink it. Even alkies have their standards.

But since this will be my first St. Patty's Day sober, I'm going to FINALLY learn how to cook a mean corned beef and cabbage.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Gratefully Sober

St Patrick's Day has a unique special meaning for me.

On SPD in 1989,I was off work that day and decided to go to the Irish restaurant at the local mall for green beer.So off I went. There just happened to be a health fair going on at the mall that day,so I stopped by on my way to the restaurant.One of the local hospitals had a booth set up with information about various stuff including alcoholism,so I picked up a bunch of literature on alcoholism and went into the restaurant. I was mainly looking for stuff because I have a close relative who is also alcoholic.

While waiting for the server ,just for the hell of it,I answered the 10 questions on the little test for alcoholism. I was stunned and amazed to say the least by the results. 7 yes answers out of 10,where 3 yes answers indicates that you are definitely an alcoholic. And that was at age 25 with only about 10 years of drinking under my belt.
So I ordered lunch,and the green beer was cancelled in favor of something stronger.. irish whiskey. to cope with the shock LOL.but suddenly it all made sense to me... those nagging doubts I had been having about my drinking and always pushed aside with a couple drinks.
Folks that St Patrick's Day was the end of drinking as I knew it.I wish I could say I got sober that day but no.. far from it. I dragged it out another 14 years. 14 years of going in and out of AA,steadily progressing before I finally truly surrendered to this disease.
I will say the next couple of weeks were interesting to say the least... a drunken trip to the library for books on my newly diagnosed alcoholism.. nights of getting hammered and pondering the situation.. wanting to get help but not quite being ready to put down the bottle.The momentous night I went to my husband and told him what I thought was a revelation to him.. that I was an alcoholic and couldnt stop drinking.(I laugh at myself now,but I honestly thought I was telling the man something he didnt already realize from seeing me sit there and get lit up night after night).oh and one night I did make that drunken call to AA in the late night hours,looking for help. Back then the hotline was answered by an answering service so all they could do was give me the name of a meeting the next night. im happy to say that it is now handled by actual drunks in the program,
I tried,I really tried to go to that meeting the next night. I made it to the parking lot and chickened out. I figured they would tell me I wasnt bad enough or didnt qualify and make me leave. so instead went and got drunk and took a joy ride to another state,and nearly got killed when I took a curve too fast and lost control of the car.
In late March I did end up in treatment finally after my husband disabled my car after I came home after a particualy bad episode of drinking.
Although I didnt get sober then,it definitly changed things for me forever.Never again did i casually start to drink . Every drink I took from march17,1989 until my last drink so far on July 16,2003 I took knowing I am an alcoholic.this holidday will always be special for me for that reason. I will be celebrating it tomorrow by going to busch gardens for SeasonPass holders day
Old 03-16-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seanie1888 View Post
Paddy's people not Patty who ever she is lol.
I thought it would be Patty's with a "t" as in short for St. PaTrick? No?

St. Patty's day has been on my mind all week, too. It lands on a Saturday this year and is sure to be madness in the city. A part of me wants to go- I won't lie. Its always been a really fun holiday for me. I know that I can't though and that I have more important things to take care of- studying, gym routine. The thought of having a hang over again really bugs me now, too.

I plan to keep it a regular day. I'll probably go to the library and get some work done. Go to the gym. I think I will be "mourning" going out for St. Patty's day, though. Is that a bad sign? I think because it was one of my favorite days of the year to go out, if not favorite.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I have a New England gray corned beef, traditional here, and cabbage, potatoes, carrots and onions, for a boiled dinner. I will make Irish soda bread, especially for my daughter who loves it. I love to bake things for her since she has some food allergies and really enjoys the things I make especially safe for her to enjoy.

My husband will surely drink Guinness beer. I will hopefully refrain.

I will be a bit sad too. It was a favorite meal I always made for my Dad, who passed away in February.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'll be in a pub in Ireland on St Patrick's day watching the Ireland v England rugby match.

I am almost at 80 days now and NOTHING is going to make me start drinking again.

Drinking is a big part of the culture here, but it doesn't mean I have to do drink and I am sure there will be plenty of others around me that are driving and won't be drinking. Am looking forward to having a Paddies day I can remember from beginning to end

I did it once before, and that was only because I was heartbroken and didnt dare go down that path.

Sunny xx
Old 03-16-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I've never really felt the urge to drink on st pattys day, so I don't think I'll have a problem tomorrow. Plus I don't have any plans other than dropping off and picking up some friends. I think I'll breeze through tomorrow pretty easily.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Gonna be different this year for sure. I dont know what the point is honestly but celebrating heritage is enough for me. My wife is Irish. So are many of my friends. In past years I drank quite a bit of Guinness and Irish whiskey which were some of my favorites. Never had a green beer lol. This year we are going to the parade in the morning with 2 other families. There will be lots of kids and definitely no drinking. Got reservations for dinner and a show at night with my daughter staying at Grandmas house. I dont think the place will have corned beef though..maybe I will change plans cause that sounds good. Im worried about driving home cause all the drunks that will be on the roads and I am DD. This will be the first night my wife and I havent had our baby girl since she was born.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

If you have a sober crowd to hang out with, it should definitely be a good day for 'people-watching', only without the haze over your eyes.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Zee

England / St. George's Day, 23rd April ...... Wales / St. David's Day, 1st March ...... Scotland / St. Andrews Day, 30th November ...... Ireland / St. Patrick's Day, 17th March. I think everyone gets as equally rat-faced on all our saints days in the UK. Is it a big thing in the US/Canada because of all the Irish settlers?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I'm Irish so I've always been a fan but it was never really any more of a drinking day for me than any other.

If I could fit into my "Kiss me I'm Irish" shirt I would wear it but alas ..... this baby has made my tummy stick out way too much. May be if I'm feeling crazy tomorrow I'll put it on and post a pic for you all to laugh at .... don't count on it.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

It's that day when the Irish have too much to drink and wind up in some kind of trouble...Saturday.

For the wannabe Irish, see if you can manage to say "Whale Oil Beef Hooked" without hearing the Irish man swear.