Notices

Is there any point to St. Patrick's day?

Old 03-16-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

St. Patrick's Day just happens to be my 1,000th consecutive day of sobriety, so I'll be celebrating that more than anything
Old 03-16-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
AA member

I will be in London tomorrow St Patricks Day and Ireland playing Rugby at Twickenham.

So grateful for my sobriety.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I'm a doing a run/bike/run race that ends up at an Irish pub. I will partake of the guiness stew, but not the beer. The race is at 0800 so it will all be done by noon. Then I am outta there and back home to sit on the dock.

Also cooking a corned beef overnight tonight and will finish with the cabbage and potatoes tomorrow. Its my 8 yr old favorite food holiday. Last year I ended up cooking three corned beefs for her!

Most of my previous St Patty's days were spent dressing in green and getting crazy drunk.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Haven't read thread yet. But man do I want to drink tomorrow. I'm doing a 10 mile race then wanted to get drunk. Ugh
Old 03-16-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Why would you want to ruin a perfectly good race by drinking after it, Tobo?

I thought it would be Patty's with a "t" as in short for St. PaTrick? No?
Seanie's right (he's posting from Ireland, after all). It's Paddy. I don't know about the rest of the world, but in America I see it written wrong more than right.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I'm not exactly Irish though I'll identify as a Celt. Just seems another religious occasion subverted into modern day excuse to party, it's not really a big deal around here where I live.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome soberinnepa

Rick Stein does a nice simple dish like my Gran used make - no Guinness in sight
Irish Corned Beef with Cabbage Recipe : Rick Stein Recipes | LifeStyle FOOD

D
Slightly OT, but I will say that my favorite chili recipe calls for a bottle of stout. I just started using fake beer when I make it. It tastes just fine

OK, The food thing I get because I love food. The lent thing I get. I think maybe the people who are really Irish and really celebrating their heritage are great. The frat-boy mentality of 90% of the other people that celebrate really bugs me still.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:35 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome soberinnepa

Rick Stein does a nice simple dish like my Gran used make - no Guinness in sight
Irish Corned Beef with Cabbage Recipe : Rick Stein Recipes | LifeStyle FOOD

D
Hey Dee...That's a keeper...I've always made this with beer...Usually pickled...Me that is...Today will be my first sober St. Paddy's day in 35 years...And this is what I'll be making...
Old 03-17-2012, 03:20 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you enjoy it

D
Old 03-17-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Taking my 2 year old to my grandpas assisted living center. They'll serve horribly prepared corned beef and cabbage and have some not-so-professional Irish dancers trolling around the dining hall.. I love it!
Old 03-17-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
Taking my 2 year old to my grandpas assisted living center. They'll serve horribly prepared corned beef and cabbage and have some not-so-professional Irish dancers trolling around the dining hall.. I love it!
Sounds perfect...And Dee....I will....
Old 03-17-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Right Where I am Suppose to be

As an Irish person!!!! WE as a country celebrate St.Patricks day as it reminds us what it is to be Irish, the troubles we had to come through to become a Republic, We fought for our freedom hence the pride in being Irish!!!! The fact that so many of our country people had to emigrate over the generations & found there way to countries all over the world to work & survive, to build nations , THAT was the reason for them to remember the mother country "EIRE" . Should we canel Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween, or any countries national holidays?? becasue people go over board drinking? NO

Just because its a day of Celebrating Irishness DOES NOT mean you have to drink, all u got to do is walk out your door & buy it at any point, dont blame the holidays & certainly dont blame us Irish if you do!!

I'm Irish , I'm an Alkie in recovery , but i am DAMN proud of my Country & my heritage!!
Old 03-17-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

St. Patty's Day has always been just another excuse to get drunk for me! Actually, every holiday was an excuse to get drunk. Upon further reflection, every day was an excuse to get drunk!
Old 03-17-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
part time member

I'm Irish...always proud to wear green. Has nothing to do with drinking. I am making corned beef and sauerkraut!
Old 03-17-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Well, I must say I was not looking forward to this day. My 55th day sober and being in Dublin for St Patrick´s day, I was planning to hide out in bed, but I did decide to go out and watch the parade and then have a nice coffee with a friend from AA.

I was surprised, the only drunk people I saw around the parade were tourists and the Irish were there with their kids and having a good time. In my twisted mind I had the picture of the whole population being drunk because that is just what I seem to focus on these days, I was wrong and all in all it has been a lovely and surprising day :-)
Old 03-17-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I'm glad your day went well, Limbo.