Notices

Just another drunkard scared of dying...

Old 03-03-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee, but I think I know exactly what I want.
Actually, I think I have made it abundantly clear.
Thank you for your time,
Phil
Old 03-03-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

best of luck with whatever you decide phil - and the door swings both ways here if you ever change your mind

D
Old 03-03-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by KnowledgeSeeker View Post

Unless I am mistaken, I get the impression that the only way out of a bad habit, in your opinion, is AA.
I don't believe this to be the case.
Phil, there are thousands of members here who agree on one thing: we don't agree on anything. There are as many paths to sobriety as there are ex-drinkers, and there is a bunch of us here who got sober without AA . I have learned something from everyone here, even if I don't agree with what they occasionally might say.

Hang in, you will find support here at SR. Always welcome.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by KnowledgeSeeker
Thank you all for taking the time to read this.
I got some sleep last night - I hadn't slept at all the night before, as I was afraid something dangerous might happen in my sleep. Truth of the matter is, I feel fine now - and that's what scares me: could the worst be yet to come?
As for my determination to stop drinking, I will only say this: had I known how dangerous drinking was, I would never have started in the first place - at this point, I believe governments are guilty of not speaking out against a potentially lethal drug. How come cannabis, cocaine or heroin are illegal and not alcohol? But that is a discussion I don't really care to get into. I know it can degenerate quite easily.
In fact, I quit drinking for ten years when I was 21 and I also quit smoking at the same time. This is proof enough for me that I have some measure of control over what I do. Like I said, the main reason I started drinking again was that I honestly thought it was just clean, innocuous fun - the adverse effects of alcohol not being very well publicized, in my opinion.
As for the self-loathing, the inexplicable hatred of humanity that overcome me after an episode of binge drinking, I know all about them and I do not wish to go on experiencing them.
I have a lot of things going for me - I have a great career, I am affluent and, most importantly, I have purpose in my life. When I don't drink, I am a genuinely happy person and I only did drink because I thought I would get an kick out of it - at no extra cost.
Well, I guess it doesn't quite work that way.
Thanks again for listening to my rant and have a most pleasant day.

Phil

Originally Posted by Sapling
Welcome KnowledgeSeeker.....It amazes me the things an alcoholic will put themself through....To go through a scare like that and go right back to it...I know...I did that for 35 fricken years...And it only gets worse....I think the best thing you can do is to stop...For good...As bad as that may sound to you...It's the only way to do it...There are ways...Have you put any thought into something you'd be willing to do...To stop for good?

Hey Phil..I don't really see anything in this thread that you acknowledge whether you think you have a problem with drinking or not.....Or whether you intend to stop...I guess you are just good to go with the measure of control you have over it... I know you didn't comment on my post...I guess I used the A word in it...And that probably doesn't apply to you...It seems like you have every thing under control and were just worried about detoxing....Sorry I misunderstood what it was you were looking for......

Originally Posted by KnowledgeSeeker
I am sorry to say, Sapling, I can sense a lot of sarcasm and intellectual dishonesty in your last post.
Unless I am mistaken, I get the impression that the only way out of a bad habit, in your opinion, is AA.
I don't believe this to be the case. In fact, I have personally proven, for then years, that this is not the case - unless you are prepared to regard 10 years of sobriety as insignificant.
Like I said, this site has opened my eyes to the dangers of alcohol abuse. For this I thank you all.
I will bother you no more.

Not at all...Any way that works for you is fine with me...I was simply explaining that I misunderstood what you were looking for...And I did.
Sapling pointed to this thread from a point in the discussion from Dee's excellent thread:http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rturbed-4.html

I never mentioned anything to him about AA in that thread...Anyway...Just wanted to say my side...Carry on...
Okay. Since Sapling has himself pointed to this thread I feel it invites comments germane to the discussion on Dee's thread. I think this is a great example of when a newcomer posts and a member responds but misunderstands where the newcomer is at. I have had experience in dialogue with Sapling. I appreciate why KnowledgeSeeker felt Sapling was being dishonest. Sapling [rightly or wrongly] does not agree with the accusation, and simply asserts a misunderstanding.

Sapling then points to this thread defending himself by stating he did not mention AA.

I know Sapling has challenged my experiences with AA sobriety. I'm okay with all that and my post here is not about me I do know that Sapling makes it clear though that my AA is not the same as his AA and that those differences are judged by Sapling to have a qualitive value ie they make a difference to Sapling.

I have 30 years of unbroken sobriety. Sapling has less then 1 year. Sapling lets me know I am not keeping my sobriety simple:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post3303995

The thread itself must be visited to get the gist of the flow of the dialogue I'm not gonna copy it all out here.

AA members often say: "don't ask us how it works, it just does, and you have to experience it yourself to understand." Sapling agrees: "That's good enough for me... "

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot
Yes. Absolutely. AA can be enough. Totally. When one wants more answers then AA has questions however, one has to seek beyond AA. I have questions within questions, lol. What am i gonna do, eh?!

Rock on, Sapling!

Do what I do...Keep it simple.

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot
Well, okay. It's simple enough for me already. I learned I'm not your average bear when I was a kid, you know? My 12 years of past alcoholic drinking followed by 30 years of no more drunks is what it is, and as your own years gather behind you, questions will be born from your experiences too. Shared knowledge is its own reward. Experience is a wonderful teacher. Life is more then we can easily imagine. How fortunate, yes?

Thanks for the suggestion, Sapling. Take it easy.
Okay, my point is I am recovered. I quit drinking at 24. It has been working for me for three decades. And I'm a recovered hard core chronic alcoholic drug addict. And a guy with less than a year is telling me to do it like him because he agrees with a certain phrase that is peddled and sold in AA.

It is that attitude which KnowledgeSeeker took offense, and I agree with KnowledgeSeeker. Sapling did not appreciate the importance of KnowledgeSeeker being himself. When newcomers post they really have nothing to offer initially except themselves and when that is not accepted, they of course feel rejected.

The idea that because Sapling didn't mention AA and so everything is groovy and we can all carry on is absurd.

I am speaking from experience with the sort of attitude that had a negative effect on KnowledgeSeeker because it was applied on me too. I'm still here of course, lol.

If we are serious about examining what goes on that drives pople off, I have brought this example into the discussion.

I think what failed here for KnowledgeSeeker was that he was called out, mistakenly judged, pretty much dismissed, and no problem, have a nice day kinda treatment.

Newcomers not getting a real chance to share themselves is a real problem. Newcomers deserve the space to ensure they are being understood before they are given advice they themselves did not solict or request. Not once did KnowledgeSeeker ask for advice.

And not once did I invite Sapling to tell me to do AA program like he does... <GRIN>

I hope my sharing of experience with the same attitude that I believe KnowledgeSeeker experienced can create some futher dialogue without personalities getting all twisted and stressed...
Old 03-05-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
I know Sapling has challenged my experiences with AA sobriety.
I would never challenge your experiences with AA sobriety...I admire it...I learn from it...And I hope to continue to learn from it...What I said there was more of a tongue in cheek comment from someone trudging the same road. Though very early on that road....I am truly sorry you viewed it like that..As well as the way this OP viewed what I said...Just another lesson I need to learn as I move forward....Sometimes words on a screen don't come out the same as in person. Again I apoligise to you Robbie....I have nothing but respect for you..
Old 03-05-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Smile

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Sometimes words on a screen don't come out the same as in person.
I totally agree. And I think that is the real lesson for all of us to keep close at hand when we are dealing with newcomers because they do not have alot of experience with words on a screen when applied directly to themselves.

You are being a good sport about all this, Sapling. No apologies are really required but I certainly am impressed that you have a good understanding of true humility and feeling humble. You could only have learned humility from real life experience, and so I applaud your sincerity of experience.

I am really just trying to bring into light how both a newcomer and a not-so-newcomer can feel when they don't receive the intended message. It is clear the message is the thing and not the receiver although we must have knowledge of who we are talking with when we respond otherwise our message is sure to be misunderstood.

You're a great guy, Sapling. Methinks you have more persuasion in your words then you credit yourself with, and I can only suggest that you reflect on not so much you perhaps misunderstand whatever, but that your reader may misunderstand your message, and so have a deeper care for the readers sensitivities without compromising your own experiences of course. Just a thought.

Stay cool!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Sapling, you are enthusiastic about your recovery and that is great ! You're doing fine.

We all have to learn some balance and to "pick our fights", that's an ongoing process.

When I walk into a meeting 1/3 are glad to see me, 1/3 don't care one way or the other and 1/3 wish I hadn't come. When I try to sway the latter 1/3 to my side I'm fighting a loosing battle. Doesn't affect my "truth" though.

I have met folks in recovery that have gained more in 1 year than I have in 22. The proof is in the pudding. Question and state with confidence.

Wishing everyone the best in their recovery.

Bob R